Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account

Galactic Starfighter - Do people actually play it?

Simple question. I subbed to SWTOR for the first time like a month ago, and have been playing. I have a 50 Jedi Knight and 50 Marauder, playing through the class stories that interest me. On both Empire and Republic (Prophecy of Five server) GSF seems to have an endless queue time. I haven't had a chance to give the content a try because I'll be in queue for 3-4 hours. Is there some reason I'm missing, such as it wants me to do a tutorial or something, or do people not really play it?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've only been subscribed for a couple of weeks, but I haven't tried it yet.

I'm overwhelmed with all of the regular game content (class story, exploration, game mechanics, etc), and just haven't felt the urge to divert into any of those side game areas. It might be more attractive to long time players who have already "been around the block" on 6+ alts, and are looking for something fresh.

It's probably because it's not available to F2P players yet. I am preferred and I need to wait few more days, it sucks major balls.

stayed a sub just to try it but the controls destroyed it for me...just felt forced or something idk. Free flight needs joystick support. After several hours of it... i finally cancelled my sub, which is sad cause i do enjoy the game but not enough time for it atm.

Deleted
    There are a few member of my guild that play the starfighter game a lot, I mean a lot, like most of their game time. I've got a few hours under my belt, I quite enjoy it but to me it is definitely a side thing I do for a short while when I feel like a bit of a change. When I do play it the queues usually pop within a few minutes at peak times.

10+ Year Old Account
    I played it a lot when it first came out, but i haven't done one in awhile. Turned into mostly premades. I wasn't that good at it, but it was pretty fun.

Haven't tried it. My partner thinks it's... Not ideal. It's something with controls and camera, I think.

I tried it when I was subbed for a few days - and I liked it. The queue times were okay (0-5 minutes during prime time in the evening, German Server T3-M4).

At first, I didn't hit anything, but a bit of practice makes it awesome. Controls are, well, for an MMO. It's not a console game

It gives quite some XP and cash with the dailies and weeklies.

It never felt comfortable. I did it the first 2 days a couple of times and never went back.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I resubbed to the game a couple weeks ago. I queued it up probably 5 or 6 times, but I found it was too difficult to control my ship and aim at the same time. I just didn't have the chops for it I imagine.

Tried GS a few times but two issues I had with it: 1. motion sickness, 2. PVP based.

I do not partake as such.

Deleted
    Have played close to 250 matches so far. There are 6 of us in the guild that are hooked. Queue times for me on The Red Eclipse range from 0-5mins.

I play on Prophecy of 5 as well, and que times are usually between 5 to 15 minutes for me at hours around US prime time (say, between 3 pm est to 12 pm est).

I am one of those players who re-subbed to SWTOR only for GSF, and I play it a LOT with my brother (we fly dual stings).

I would say that the names that we are seeing in games are more or less the same, so I would say that the total GSF player base is not that huge.

Finally got around to playing it a bit today...

Part of my perception is absolutely colored by the fact that I kinda got wrecked and that my side lost but...as hyped as I was for this feature and as cool as I thought it looked, I was dramatically unimpressed by it. Did not play at all as I though it would, and unfortunately didn't feel that fun...at all. I'll continue playing it throughout the week but my initial impression, despite a very optimistic view since its announcement, is not a great one : /

I think it takes a few rounds to definitely get into it.
    If people dont like it, I dont know what they expected.
    add more maps and modes and its pretty awesome.

It felt really goddamn weird when I tried it. The third person view is disorienting and sometimes carsicky, the controls don't fit, and it just feels... Blech.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

Part of my perception is absolutely colored by the fact that I kinda got wrecked and that my side lost but...as hyped as I was for this feature and as cool as I thought it looked, I was dramatically unimpressed by it. Did not play at all as I though it would, and unfortunately didn't feel that fun...at all. I'll continue playing it throughout the week but my initial impression, despite a very optimistic view since its announcement, is not a great one : /
    I hated it the first couple dozen of flights - I sucked too much to shoot down anyone at all.

After a while, though, it was extremely rewarding to see real skill improvement at piloting and now its a real rush to play, especially in close games.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hm, I'll probably try and get on around prime-time tonight and try it and see if queues are better. Thanks for responses, all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    I hated it the first couple dozen of flights - I sucked too much to shoot down anyone at all.

After a while, though, it was extremely rewarding to see real skill improvement at piloting and now its a real rush to play, especially in close games.
    I'm primarily playing gunship so far, so it's not terribly difficult to snipe people. It's just...I don't know how to describe it, I just don't find myself really having too much fun with it. The bright side is it got me a level, but other than that it's felt kinda "meh".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

In PvE setting I'd love it.