Thread: easy gt 640 OC

easy gt 640 OC

new to the overclock world, just downloaded msi afterburner, unfortunately my xfx radeon 6870's fan shit the fan and i just keep blue screening because it cant keep up with the heat build-up.

anyways, long story short i bought a galaxy gt 640 1g ddr3 version, can anyone give me a safe overclock specs to boost peformance till i can afford a better card, or atleast lead me somewhere in a safe direction

10+ Year Old Account
    I... honestly don't think a 640 will overclock to any useful degree. Its an architecture issue, not a speed issue. I wouldn't bother.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    @Chazus, there are a few video's and screenshots of overclocked galazy 640 cards.

However.. It'll have a locked voltage, so any gains possible would likely be random silicon lottery.
    Not sure if you can flash the bios to give it some more juice. But seeing as you're new to overclocking, that will not really be an option.

The effect of overclocking a card with such limited shader units just seems pointless though. Maybe, if you're lucky you'll squeeze out an extra 50mhz.
    That means you get 5% extra performance. It's just not worth the effort.

And also, by the sound of that 6870, your airflow is really bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't mean they can't be, just cannot be to any degree that's worth doing so outside of bragging rights.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

i thnk the xfx 6870's had a bad fan to start with, i read other accounts online of others having the same problem

10+ Year Old Account
    so why not just buy a aftermarket cooler for it for about 20/30 euro's..

Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    so why not just buy a aftermarket cooler for it for about 20/30 euro's..
    Or buy a replacement fan for about 5-10
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.