Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I really enjoy my VW Jetta, even though its base model and has like... no horsepower I still feel like it has a "get up and go" with its "Sport" mode. The model up from mine has 170 horse power and I have to say that folding down back seats and large amount of trunk space really provide a ton of room for moving things. So, speaking from my experience I would easily recommend a Jetta to anyone. I also hear Golfs are really nice. Some people complain about reliability while others love how reliable they are so you may have to look into that yourself on a VW. I personally haven't had to do anything other than standard maintenance on my vehicle for the three years I have had it.

I have a 99 legacy sedan and there's really no substitute for awd in areas with hills and inclement weather. I can vouch for subarus being very well made mechanically (the finer details like interior and paint lag far behind the quality of the engines) and with a manual transmission and a 2.5l engine or bigger, I think you would be able to scoot around with plenty of haste.

Some other ideas: a midsize pickup with a v6 (nissan frontier, used ranger, tacoma). With 4x4 you'll probably need to buy used but it can be pretty young. WRX is just out of your price range I think but you can consider it (5 door hatchback of course).

Overall I would urge you to look long and hard at getting a subaru, so long as you can find one that isn't appaulingly ugly or gutless for your tastes

Edit: not sure if I can link this but here's an example for a pickup http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/4271132675.html
    Last edited by spandex; 2014-01-14 at 05:02 AM.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    The OP's best bet is to make a short list of vehicles to test drive. Many vehicles sound great on paper, but ultimately you need to like the experience of driving it. Assuming he's only interested in buying new, this would be my shortlist:

AWD (I'm very biased towards Subaru, but this would be my list)
    - Go to a Jeep dealership and try a few models in your price range
    - Go to a Subaru dealership and try a few models (Impreza, Crosstrek, Legacy, Forester
    - Mazda CX5
    - Ford has a few AWD vehicles in your price range, but they've struggled with reliability the last few years

FWD (Endless options here--but this would be my list of "Decent FWD cars with some pep")
    - Ford Fiesta ST (I would only get the MT--the AT has has serious issues)
    - 2014 Mazda 3 (Especially the 2.5L--it gets fantastic reviews and the car looks great)
    - Honda Accord Sport (Bulletproof reliability and nice, classic styling--good pep with good fuel economy too)
    Last edited by FathomFear; 2014-01-14 at 04:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get a Delorean. It fits the theme of WoD.

Thanks for the responses. I messed up on the > symbol, yes. Can a mod please flip the symbol around or is there a way I can do it? That's what happens when you make a quick post before bed, my bad. I did say 25K max in the thread however.

Yes, as I said I am all over the place... different things are attractive, I'm looking to narrow it down. I find 4WD attractive as a "just in case" like a freak snowstorm like Texas got this year, for example, as Spandex pointed out. Also yes, I like 4WD for the "epeen" I walk to work each day, I won't be putting huge miles on it. Honestly its 1/2 "just incase" and 1/2 cause I just like it, same reason people put neon lights in their computer case. The jeep is cheap, and powerful, that's why I like it. The other cars are a little more sensible.... that's the debate I'm having with myself. Have any of you paid extra for 4WD or a big engine then regretted spending the money?

I hadn't considered Kia but I'm giving them a look now.

Oh another question, how much does the value go down for used cars per year? I'm honestly kinda shocked how expensive used cars are, I may as well stick to just looking at new cars, rather then a used one with who knows what transpired in that vehicle in their hands.
    Last edited by Cruor; 2014-01-14 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twix View Post
    I don't agree with you. I think a sporty car like the civic SI or subaru WRX is way more enjoyable in the city. Also, more mpg so you'll save money AND have fun speeding
    I love honda's and acura's which are the same company anyway. From his description it sounds like he want's the WRX and if he can find a sti that would be the best bet. I listed the 2011 since the 2014/2015 are a little out of your budget around 33k. This is also an AWD or all wheel drive as opposed to 4WD.

"the WRX gets its power from a turbocharged 2.5 liter four-cylinder engine with 265 horsepower and 244 lb-ft of torque. Mated to a five-speed manual transmission and an all-wheel drive system, the combination returns 19 mpg city and 25 mpg highway.
    Last edited by Dethh; 2014-01-14 at 01:41 PM.