Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Skyshard farming, loot limitation

So one thing that I've noticed while skyshard farming, the moment you kill your first 10 mobs, they simply refuse to drop anything but gold and 3 or 4 items. Normally there should be cache keys, greens, vendor grays and other things dropping. But once I kill 10-20 of the shao-tien mogu, literally nothing but cloth, blanched needle mushrooms, gold and motes drops.

I haven't been able to find any information about a kill/loot limitation, but it seems quite obvious there is such a thing, likely to offset the almost instantaneous respawn times of the mogu in the vale. Now the question remains, for the people who farmed skyshards through mogu and spent a little attention on the loot they got: Have you noticed something similar, and if so, did the skyshards still drop?

I did it in 5.0 and I got a full bag of vendor trash pretty often.

Farmed and sold about 40 mounts. No limitation or such thing with the mogu.

retired, another victim of warlords of draenor

I certainly got spare vendors and greens, keys were too erratic to say.

I know in cataclysm there was rumour about a mechanic that would stop you farming mobs for more than 10~ minutes, where they would just not drop volatles for about 5-10 minutes after. Can't say I've noticed it since 4.0 though.

~Did latest skyshard grind in 5.4
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Do not think i had this problem
    Then again... I didnt exactly kill 1 mob at a time but instead i ran around spamming FoK or Rain of Fire.

With grinds like this... I wouldn't exactly think about what you are doing but instead "mindlessly" farm while jamming to music or watching a movie/anime

15+ Year Old Account
    Random loot is random.. I've been farming for 4 days and not got a single skyshard. Last week I got 2 within 6 minutes of eachother

Welcome to RNG.

I tend to get around 1500 gold looted per session (thanks to the cache keys), around 1000 gold in vendor trash, and about 2000 gold in profession mats.

Unfortunately, I've had terrible luck with the shards themselves. Since I downloaded the mod to track rare item mob kills, I've killed 47,619 mobs (all mogu except rares and cache loots) that have the Skyshards on their loot table, and still only have 9 shards.

Just drink Potions of Luck and aoe until your eyes bleed. If you aren't an insane completionist that must do it themselves, you should be able to easily afford whatever the price is for the mount on your realm if you can't get the shards to drop.

Since the sprites daily is no more, nowadays valley farm comes down to mogu farm, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    Since the sprites daily is no more, nowadays valley farm comes down to mogu farm, right?
    yup 10chars
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Deleted
    Thanks to the few ones who actually read what I wrote. I was specifically not asking for comments on RNG related to skyshards (I know how rare they are), but whether the lack of loot appeared to anyone else.

Of course I also pull packs of 5-10 at a time, but all I get from aoe looting is gold, cloth, and "vendor food". No cache keys, grays, greens, nothing else, out of a few hundred of mobs. What looks like a seemingly empty loot table leaves me worried that skyshards also don't drop. But I guess I'll just have to write a ticket about it to confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by Selesnya View Post
    Thanks to the few ones who actually read what I wrote. I was specifically not asking for comments on RNG related to skyshards (I know how rare they are), but whether the lack of loot appeared to anyone else.

Of course I also pull packs of 5-10 at a time, but all I get from aoe looting is gold, cloth, and "vendor food". No cache keys, grays, greens, nothing else, out of a few hundred of mobs. What looks like a seemingly empty loot table leaves me worried that skyshards also don't drop. But I guess I'll just have to write a ticket about it to confirm.
    Other than your delusions of a conspiracy, there's not much for any of us to confirm.

You're experiencing bad luck.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know how people are farming this mount. I've been at 6/10 shards for a long time and have been trying since it was available. I haven't seen a shard drop in two months.

And yes, I farm the crap out of the mogu camp near the middle. What the heck am I doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Scinder View Post
    I don't know how people are farming this mount. I've been at 6/10 shards since it was available. I haven't seen a shard drop in two months.

And yes, I farm the crap out of the mogu camp near the middle. What the heck am I doing wrong?
    not farming hard enough

The mogu camp most refer to is the guo-lai ruins, btw. You can get a stacking buff for 25% crit chance 50% crit damage at 5 stacks.

Skyshards are completely random, theres no drop rate/chance, its random...its all luck

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonath View Post
    Skyshards are completely random, theres no drop rate/chance, its random...its all luck
    If it didn't have dropchance it wouldn't be random as it wouldn't drop at all.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    not farming hard enough

The mogu camp most refer to is the guo-lai ruins, btw. You can get a stacking buff for 25% crit chance 50% crit damage at 5 stacks.
    Not farming hard enough? Yeah.. ok.

I farm those same ruins. Pull the entire camp and clear in a few seconds. I've spent days doing this.

Guess RNG is just RNG.

Quote Originally Posted by Selesnya View Post
    how do you actually do this?
    I have a fury warrior ilvl 564, a retribution paladin ilvl 557 and a now- the new kid- a frost mage ilvl 548 and none of those can continually pull 5 or even 10.
    the warrior can do this every 2-3 mins, when die by the sword's off cooldown and bladestorm,
    the paladin maybe with hammer of light -havent tried yet, but even then its a lot of damage,
    apart from the fact that I can't think of a spot where you can pull the first couple of mobs (3-4) and then pull the next 3-4 without one or two of the first pack evade resetting.

and yeah, sry for ot,
    I farmed my alani over the course of one year, since it is a lot of braindead farming. even then, I am unable to see any pattern, I just killed things until I had the skyshards collected. sometimes it seemed to take longer, sometimes I seemed to have lucky streaks.
    for example the first skyshard I got from the last daily box from golden lotus- the only one I ever got that way, the other shards just dropped -everywhere, I didn't exclusively farm the sprites, since it took some minutes for them to respawn and I need just a little change.

however, if you're having problems, a friend calculated how much he had to kill on the average and just counted the kills until he had the shards, I even think he used an addon for it (sry, not very helpfull, but I can't remember which).
    Last edited by Lothar; 2014-01-14 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by .Nensec View Post
    Random loot is random.. I've been farming for 4 days and not got a single skyshard. Last week I got 2 within 6 minutes of eachother
    This 100%. I'm at 5 right now, and I haven't gotten one for two weeks. I don't farm for more than an hour or two a day, but I got my 4th and 5th within 4 kills of each other, and haven't seen anything since.

I do get a ton of greens/cloth/money from farming though. The cache keys seem pretty random to me. Sometimes I won't get any for a while, then get 4-5 straight pretty quickly. I don't think there is any artificial loot barrier, though.

I farm for the key's whilst farming for the Sky Shards.

Thus, I'm not disappointed when they don't drop during a farm session as they are a "bonus" or secondary farm.

Rarity indicates the drop rate to be 1 in 1000, which seem's about right, of course people experience different results, as expected, it's RNG...but it's certainly close to that/far higher than 1 in 100 etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Scinder View Post
    Not farming hard enough? Yeah.. ok.

I farm those same ruins. Pull the entire camp and clear in a few seconds. I've spent days doing this.

Guess RNG is just RNG.
    There are 3 camps + the halls, so are you sitting around? You also don't specify how long you take per day. In the end doing 1000 kills (takes longer than you'd think) is still close to avg drop for 1 skyshard. I saw over 12k between drops once.

If you are farming a lot each day then you must be at 20-30k+ by now with no apparent skyshard drop? Although it's more likely you're exaggerating, everyone does. The reason I specified the mogu camp is the one near the middle (the old first daily hub) is not the correct place to farm.