15+ Year Old Account

Leveling spec for rogue

I'm currently lvl 10 and is to chose a spec for my rogue. My main focus 10-60 will be pvp.

Any suggestions for a good spec? I prefer hit and run with maximum burstas playstyle, not long battles.

Combat, because of Killing spree, I guess.

15+ Year Old Account
    Killing spree is lvl 80 so that won't help me at all =)

Deleted
    if burst is what you want then sub would be best i think

15+ Year Old Account
    Ok. sub it is. Thanks

Sub for levelling unless you plan on doing dungeons. It's much quicker for mob killing, and Sub is "the PvP spec" anyhow.

All three specs can be good for leveling - Sub has better burst, but deals worse than combat when you pull more than one mob at a time.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    All three specs can be good for leveling - Sub has better burst, but deals worse than combat when you pull more than one mob at a time.
    Pfft, that's what Vanish is for!

Ive always defaulted to mut. for leveling. Something about letting poisons eat away at mobs while swap to the next just seemed to work out. It also is just an all around good spec while leveling. Yes sub will have the burst you want but after that (forbid x doesnt die) itll seem slow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Combat is better from 10-60ish while Sub and Assassination pull ahead later on. Assassination and Subtlety will burst better than Combat from 10-50 but once the energy runs dry both specs begin to suck. Combat gets its passive energy regeneration skill at 10 (Vitality) and Combat Potency (which is another energy regeneration skill) at 30. Basically, Combat will be able to deal more consistent damage over the course of a longer fight (more than one enemy or a boss mob.) Combat also gets Adrenaline Rush at 40 which makes it even more effective.

Assassination doesn't really get good until you get Venomous Wounds at level 50 and Cut to The Chase at level 60. I personally think Venomous Wounds should be given at 30 because the spec feels like shit without it and you have to wait all the way to 50 to get it. But overall assassination is really good damage wise, its just fucking boring from 10-49.

Sub is only the best if you just want to straight up pvp. It's really the only spec at those levels that can utilize Subterfuge and it definitely has the best burst power thanks to Find Weakness (you get it at 20). But after find weakness fades or you have to switch to a second target, Hemo is just straight up shit. And what makes Sub worse is that you have to wait all the way to 70 to get its energy regen passive "Energetic Recovery." The spec basically promotes you to ignore Slice and Dice before 70 and then forces you to use it from 70 on wards. Really shitty design.

The one thing I can say about Rogue leveling is to use Slice and Dice and Recuperate to help you get in the habit of tracking shit. Don't just open with Ambush and Sinister Strike/mutilate/Hemo up to 5 points and finish with an eviscerate. It won't teach you shit at 90. Another thing is to try and apply deadly poison to everything your fighting until you get fan of knives. Oh and don't be afraid to use Evasion, its on a short two minute cool down.

Leveled a rogue roughly a year ago:

For what the OP seeks, sub would be the way to go. For pve, were I to do it again, I would probably go combat for the early (in terms of when acquired) energy regen bonuses and cleave damage. I recall leveling as mut, and if you do the dungeon grind method of leveling, expect to get smoked by anyone capable of cleave/aoe damage until you get FoK. At that point you'll poison everything and stuff will melt (although I am thinking ele shaman would be king for dungeon leveling at this point with CL spam).

Quote Originally Posted by Weektwo View Post
    Ive always defaulted to mut. for leveling. Something about letting poisons eat away at mobs while swap to the next just seemed to work out. It also is just an all around good spec while leveling. Yes sub will have the burst you want but after that (forbid x doesnt die) itll seem slow.
    From level 10 to level 79, Assassination's dot really isn't ahead of the other specs. You don't learn mastery until level 80.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryonic View Post
    I'm currently lvl 10 and is to chose a spec for my rogue. My main focus 10-60 will be pvp.
    Sub. Not much around this, especially if you want to PvP at the level cap and start learning the tricks of the trade (punny, very punny). The other posts that acknowledge you're PvP-focused flesh out the answer more.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    Combat is better from 10-60ish while Sub and Assassination pull ahead later on. Assassination and Subtlety will burst better than Combat from 10-50 but once the energy runs dry both specs begin to suck. Combat gets its passive energy regeneration skill at 10 (Vitality) and Combat Potency (which is another energy regeneration skill) at 30. Basically, Combat will be able to deal more consistent damage over the course of a longer fight (more than one enemy or a boss mob.) Combat also gets Adrenaline Rush at 40 which makes it even more effective.

Assassination doesn't really get good until you get Venomous Wounds at level 50 and Cut to The Chase at level 60. I personally think Venomous Wounds should be given at 30 because the spec feels like shit without it and you have to wait all the way to 50 to get it. But overall assassination is really good damage wise, its just fucking boring from 10-49.

Sub is only the best if you just want to straight up pvp. It's really the only spec at those levels that can utilize Subterfuge and it definitely has the best burst power thanks to Find Weakness (you get it at 20). But after find weakness fades or you have to switch to a second target, Hemo is just straight up shit. And what makes Sub worse is that you have to wait all the way to 70 to get its energy regen passive "Energetic Recovery." The spec basically promotes you to ignore Slice and Dice before 70 and then forces you to use it from 70 on wards. Really shitty design.

The one thing I can say about Rogue leveling is to use Slice and Dice and Recuperate to help you get in the habit of tracking shit. Don't just open with Ambush and Sinister Strike/mutilate/Hemo up to 5 points and finish with an eviscerate. It won't teach you shit at 90. Another thing is to try and apply deadly poison to everything your fighting until you get fan of knives. Oh and don't be afraid to use Evasion, its on a short two minute cool down.

I loved this explanation, cleared out some questions for when dual spec hits too, thanks!

I ended up playing all of the specs while I leveled up my Rogue. I leveled as Combat until level 80 then played Mutilate. All the specs are fine, just make sure you use Deadly Momentum glyph (or whatever resets SnD + Recup upon kill).
    Druid | UI | Youtube
    R1 & 14x Glad PvPer
    Honestly US 2nd / Ally World 1st