Alienware Service Tag Question

I recently changed out my Mobo, the computer is out of warranty, so I had to buy the part off eBay. I was curious if anyone knows, if there is software floating around the net that allows you to edit the service tag on an Alienware Aurora? I know that when a tech comes out, they have the ability to edit the service tag, but for me it's locked and not editable.

I know the service tag is more of a tool for dell to reference your computer and what not, I'm just curious though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would you need to change your service tag? It's just just a reference number.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Good luck actually getting service from Alienware. Big time buyer's remorse every time I think about how bad their CS was.
    You're not to think you are anything special. You're not to think you are as good as we are. You're not to think you are smarter than we are. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are. You're not to think you know more than we do. You're not to think you are more important than we are. You're not to think you are good at anything. You're not to laugh at us. You're not to think anyone cares about you. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

I just was curious, I understand it's a reference number.

I don't need service from Alienware, the computer is out of warranty, it's in my hands. I'm not looking to make this into an discussion about Alienware computers and how good or bad they are.
    Last edited by Bmfstunner; 2014-01-15 at 12:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's why I'm asking. It's just a number, a sticker. They enter it in during windows install. It's not 'connected' to anything, so changing it would do.... what?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

It would do nothing, like I said, I'm curious. If I need a reason, then I'll go with my own state of mind, so that the sticker matches what's in the bios. Good enough? :P

10+ Year Old Account
    So the service tag is listed in BIOS? It's not clear what... exactly is going on.

My Alienware M17 has a service tag, but it is just a sticker on the bottom of the laptop. Not in the Bios, not in the OS. I only need the number to get service from Dell. So also do not know what you mean by 'changing' the service tag number. The laptop does not use this number for anything.

I guess if I didn't like 12345 as a service tag number I could probably call Dell many times to convince them to assign me a new one. But that would be many, many calls.

Edit: After some google searches it appears that some Alienware computers do have the service tag in the Bios. Google consensus is you would need Dell to update the tag in your BIOS.
    Last edited by waldona; 2014-01-15 at 01:59 AM.

Alright, I guess I wasn't super clear. Aurora's have a service tag in the BIOS settings, however, you aren't allowed to change these settings. They are locked, from what I read the service techs get a cd have the ability to change the bios settings. When I changed my motherboard out by myself since it was out of warranty, it changed the service tag. I just wanted to know, if that software was accessible? I can live with a new service tag, but I wanted to know if it was something that I could change by downloading, then I would change back to what the outer sticker says.

Take a look here http://www.techmonsters.com/DellTrai...M17X/Asset.htm you'll need your own searches to find the software.

I used to work for Dell a long time ago. Most service tags are changed with a dos program. Waldona linked a site that has the asset programs. Good Luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomken View Post
    Everytime I try to Que for LFR, the game completely crashes. WTF
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    It's probably trying to save you a headache.