Page 1 of 36
... LastLast
    Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Mississippi lawmaker * passes * a law that anyone on welfare must take a drug test !

http://www.clarionledger.com/article...-testing-bill-

A House committee approved a bill today that could require future state welfare recipients to undergo drug testing.

A divided House Public Health and Human Services Committee approved House Bill 49 lafter about an hour of debate with several members opposing the proposed legislation.

“We believe this is a good policy decision,” said House Public Health and Human Services Chairman Sam Mims. “Our goal is to help people.”

Under the proposal, new recipients would be required to fill out a survey and if information from the survey determines the person has a high probability of a drug problem, the individual would be required to have a drug test.

But Mims said the person wouldn’t be cut off the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program and benefits from the program would pay for the drug test.

Medicaid would then pay for treatment. However, if the individual test positive again after undergoing treatment, he or she could be disqualified from the program.

“We are trying to help people; we are trying to make them a better mom or a better dad,” Mims said.

Mims said the proposed legislation is modeled after a law passed in Utah in 2012 that hasn’t faced a legal challenge. Mims said in Utah about 22 percent of the new recipients were required to get drug testing. He said 18,227 people applied for TANF benefits last in Mississippi and 485 were approved. He said if 22 percent of those would have been required to be tested in Mississippi, about 122 people would have been tested under the bill.

But several legislators, including state Rep. Bobby Moak, D-Bogue Chitto; and state Rep. John Hines, D-Greenville; expressed concern about the bill.

Moak said he believes the legislation could open the state up to a possible claim of discrimination if some people receiving assistance are required to have drug testing and others aren’t required.

“You can’t treat one group separate,” Moak said.

Hines said he opposes drug use by anyone but it appears the bill is picking on people who need the assistance to survive.

NYS need this laws !

10+ Year Old Account
    This is an incredibly beneficial law that will in no way cost the state millions of dollars for no noticeable results, just like the one in Florida.

Italicized for sarcasm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    So you linked half an article did you want to add anything to it or is this just a poor attempt at starting conversation?

As long as the state is paying for the tests, I'm completely down for it. Some people will undoubtedly spin this is marginalizing welfare recipients, but welfare should exclusively be a program to help those that need aid until they can get back on their feet, not a program to help enable pieces of shit to continue being pieces of shit. Druggies on welfare should no longer be able to receive welfare. Makes sense to me. The rest can consider it as part of payment for receiving money from the state, since their welfare isn't taxed anyways.

But it will be expensive to implement. Possibly very expensive. And I am absolutely against it if the recipients are required to pay for it, as that somewhat defeats the point of welfare.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, this is a good idea, I know they wanted to do it here in australia a few years ago and they never did, but if you are wasting money on drugs/booze you shouldn't be getting welfare.

drug test are so easy to pass if they have to take them without supervision.

i think all states should make anyone wanting to live off of public assistance, take a mandatory drug test, yes it might cost more money, but in the long run it could save alot more money!

Drug tests costs 40-60 bucks now say if someone was getting 600 bucks a month for assistance they turn out dirty, BAMB you just spent 40-60 bucks and kicked the druggy off the system saving 600 bucks for that 1 person, now times that by 500 as an example
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Supernova: Cause a pulse of Arcane energy around the target enemy or ally, dealing Arcane damage to all enemies within 8 yards, and knocking them up.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not a law yet, just passed a committee vote in the House.

Quote Originally Posted by skatblast View Post
    drug test are so easy to pass if they have to take them without supervision.
    Not if they dont have advanced noticed, give them the authority to show up anytime they want and take the test right then, right there
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Supernova: Cause a pulse of Arcane energy around the target enemy or ally, dealing Arcane damage to all enemies within 8 yards, and knocking them up.

4th amendment, 4th aschmedment amirite?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    4th amendment, 4th aschmedment amirite?
    Ooo My, the second one is only one that matters, don'tcha know? *wink*
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Utah have this on laws !

Quote Originally Posted by Omertocracy View Post
    This is an incredibly beneficial law that will in no way cost the state millions of dollars for no noticeable results, just like the one in Florida.

Italicized for sarcasm.
    its essentially: rich people paying other rich people to convince middle class their problems are because of poor people

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WNYIRISHGUY View Post
    Utah have this on laws !
    Also NYS need this laws and if someone ask me to take a drug test " i will take it " however the one who will not take it are hustler and druggie !

10+ Year Old Account
    Ditch the survey. Mandatory drug testing for anyone on welfare. Quarterly, perhaps?

Is the testing expensive? Yes.

Is welfare for someone abusing drugs or using it on drugs more expensive? Yup.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by Wyshbonez View Post
    i think all states should make anyone wanting to live off of public assistance, take a mandatory drug test, yes it might cost more money, but in the long run it could save alot more money!

Drug tests costs 40-60 bucks now say if someone was getting 600 bucks a month for assistance they turn out dirty, BAMB you just spent 40-60 bucks and kicked the druggy off the system saving 600 bucks for that 1 person, now times that by 500 as an example
    Florida has shown not only is the drug fail % exceptionally lower then the rhetoric states but it is vastly more expensive to drug test.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Ditch the survey. Mandatory drug testing for anyone on welfare. Quarterly, perhaps?

Is the testing expensive? Yes.

Is welfare for someone abusing drugs or using it on drugs more expensive? Yup.
    actually Florida has shown its vastly more expensive to drug test.

The rest can consider it as part of payment for receiving money from the state, since their welfare isn't taxed anyways.
    Last edited by bachertzhan; 2014-01-15 at 02:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    actually Florida has shown its vastly more expensive to drug test.
    So has Minnesota.

10+ Year Old Account
    I did some research, and rescind my statement. As Stormspellz stated, apparently studies have shown that very few people on welfare are drug abusers, and states implementing this system are losing millions of dollars over the system.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with you !

Also i read this a few day ago and i died laughing...........

http://www.examiner.com/article/shei...al-living-fund

Remember man-caused disasters? How about kinetic military action? If you enjoyed those examples of the Obama administration’s reliance on Newspeak, you’ll love the latest coinage. Its creator is the lovely and talented Sheila Jackson Lee. CNSNews writes:

In a brief speech on the House floor Wednesday, Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas) hailed the war on poverty, endorsed government welfare programs, and said the ‘safety net has to be something for all of us.’

‘Maybe the word welfare should be changed to something of, “a transitional living fund.” For that is what it is — for people to be able to live,’ she said.

And live they do! In December of 2011, the feds raided a $1.2 million home in a wealthy lakefront community near Seattle whose owner had been the recipient of more than $1,200 per month in public housing vouchers, federal and state disability stipends, and food stamps, according to station KING. Granted that case is the exception rather than the rule, but examples of welfare fraud are rampant. TV station WMC in Memphis reported in July 2012 that taxpayer dollars were being spent on everything from booze to hair to concert tickets. Justin Owen, who represents a consumer watchdog group in Nashville, told reporters: