15+ Year Old Account

An idea for Transmog

Thought of this earlier, want to get some critique or thoughts before I put it on the official forums:

I think that they could use the new collections system to "unlock" various transmog items. Using the information from the Dungeon Journal to show all the possible drops from a boss, it would be possible to deposit items into the collection after you're done using them. Doing so would consume the item, but make it available account-wide for transmog. Obviously if you don't meet the requirements for said item, you can't use it, which precludes people wearing tier sets that don't belong to their class, with the obvious exception of the BMAH versions. This is also nice for when you can't seem to get the item you want on one particular character, even though it drops for your alts that can't use it. (Looking at you, Dragonscale-Encrusted Longblade.)

It gets the items out of your bag, and out of your void storage, while leaving more space for world-drop type sets. This wouldn't change transmog at all, but would simply make storage a bit easier as well as give you blanks to fill in. Plus it gives you a bit of an easier time if your particular class isn't good at a specific boss. (IE: Razorgore for pretty much everyone.)

It'd be nice if there was some UI that showed you tier sets or other sets that were designed as one, with info on where the item drops or is buyable from. You could maybe put in some achievements for completing specific tier sets, and have account-wide versions for completing every class for a specific tier. Feats of Strength for having complete versions of unobtainable sets, that sort of thing.

Let's hear your thoughts.

it's a nice idea, however it would require the designers to catalog every single tiny little piece of gear that has the same appearance, and add code to every item associated with that piece, and add the new wardrobe function of course.

not saying it can't be done, but it would require a pretty heavy amount of manpower to get through this, considering how many hundreds (thousands? I don't know) of different transmogable items we have.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Deleted
    Would,properly comment but its 3am here?!

Seriously though i like a kit

Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    it's a nice idea, however it would require the designers to catalog every single tiny little piece of gear that has the same appearance, and add code to every item associated with that piece, and add the new wardrobe function of course.

not saying it can't be done, but it would require a pretty heavy amount of manpower to get through this, considering how many hundreds (thousands? I don't know) of different transmogable items we have.
    good thing theyve already started working on it.

wont be here at launch though.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

15+ Year Old Account
    Well I don't think it would be too onerous to do the tier sets and other items that were created from the same graphic, as they'd all reference that same file. The game doesn't have two different textures for the dps and tank versions of warrior tier shoulders, it just has two different item entries that point to the same visual reference file. Obviously this wouldn't cover all the available items, but it would cover the major iconic looks, which let's face it, are most of what people transmog too. I think it's really neat and creative that people put together their own combinations of gear, but mostly you see paladins in Judgement and warlocks in Malefic. Since the items already point to the texture file, you could just have the empty slots point to the items that match the texture and list those by ID, and since there are plenty of addons that will tell you where an item drops just by mousing over it, I don't think it would be too difficult to just incorporate that info into the game directly. I'm not a game developer, but it seems like something that's fairly doable just by adapting existing tech.

There are possible plans to implement a UI where full named sets, such as perhaps tiers might form a collection, whereby it can be stored as a single item or number perhaps rather than individual inventory items.
    However any additional storage, whatever form it takes in addition to traditional inventory does require database space and so isn't a trivial matter to implement, be it void storage or otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annarion View Post
    Well I don't think it would be too onerous to do the tier sets and other items that were created from the same graphic, as they'd all reference that same file.
    Indeed. If you look at the WoW model viewer, there's an entry for the item itself (its stats, etc) and an entry for which visual entity it uses. Different items that use the same graphic, whether they be mail, plate, whatever, all have the same "display ID" logged.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.