10+ Year Old Account

Old computer build, wanting advice

So, I have a spare computer lying around. (It was actually my first build) I feel it could be brought up to current times and able to handle most games better, a computer I would probably have friends use if they ever come over to game. The specs are below:

Asus M4N68T-M Series Motherboard.

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor (3.4GHz)

Stock Heatsink. - This is something I feel could use an upgrade because Stock, I believe it is one of the causes for most the computer's heat, so if you have any suggestions, go ahead.

Thermaltake 550W Power Supply - I feel needs an upgrade, makes a rattling noise and because I could probably find a more energy friendly supply, again if you have any suggestions, go ahead.

HD Radeon 5770 Graphics Card - Also something that could use an upgrade, it's showing it's age.

Ripjaws DDR3-1333 4gb stick x2

1tb Seagate Barracuda HDD 7200RPM, SATAIII 6GB/S, 3.5", 64MB cache - I was considering an SSD to add to this rig too

If I've missed anything, do mention it. I do believe some things in this rig could be upgraded, just not as savvy when it comes to good hardware and comparisons. I would just ditch the rig, but I'm the kind of person that likes to get as much use possible from things, I have a hard time throwing things away.

If you have any suggestions, do link me the hardware in question. I can't buy from Newegg because I'm Aussie but pccasegear, Amazon or anything else works though.
    Last edited by NatePsy; 2014-01-15 at 10:59 AM.

Deleted
    I would get a gtx660 some 2x4gb ram sticks and a 650W PSU and you're good to go.

10+ Year Old Account
    I checked it out, I also hear there's a "660Ti" version too, not sure what the difference is though. I already have two 4gb RAM sticks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malecesar View Post
    I would get a gtx660 some 2x4gb ram sticks and a 650W PSU and you're good to go.
    He already has a 2x4 RAM.

As to the OP:
    It all depends on the money you are willing to spend.
    CPU aftermarket cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212X http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/cool...r-rr212x20pmr1 45$
    PSU http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/ante...-supply-hcg520 90$
    the 5770 seems to be around the level of GTX 650, that runs for 130$. The lowest level upgrade would be 7850, which would run around 200$, but then r9 270 is only 20$ more.
    So if you wanted to upgrade your GPU you would need to spend around 250$ (Australian $ I guess).
    The 5770 should run games at low/medium, how is it 'showing it's age'?
    SSD would run you around 100$

Realisticly you are looking at around 500$ in upgrades, adding a couple hundred more you could build a new PC.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    I checked it out, I also hear there's a "660Ti" version too, not sure what the difference is though. I already have two 4gb RAM sticks.
    gtx 660ti would run you around 290$
    PM me weird stuff :3

10+ Year Old Account
    Current card heats up more than usual, so I'm going out on a limb and saying that it could be because it's three years old. That PSU looks solid, is it worth bumping it up to 600W and paying extra for that reassurance? That Cooler is pretty good too. Reason I'm upgrading this one rather than building another one is because I have two rigs already, I don't need a third I just want a 2nd rig that will handle itself well in-game without heating up the room because of it's lack of cooling.

The rig is 3 years old, I just want it brought up to 2013 standard in any way possible without having to do a complete restructure of the motherboard and it's vital components.
    Last edited by NatePsy; 2014-01-15 at 11:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    is it worth bumping it up to 600W and paying extra for that reassurance? .
    Depends on what GPU you will pick. And what reassurance are you talking about?
    PM me weird stuff :3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrops View Post
    Depends on what GPU you will pick. And what reassurance are you talking about?
    I tend to be a bit weary about anything below 550W if I end up picking up a GPU in the $200-250 range