Suggestions for an Affordable Headset

Hey folks, I'm looking to get a new headset and was wondering what you guys recommend. I'm on a budget, so I would prefer spending $60 or less if possible.

Current items I've considered:

1) Logitech G230
    http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G230-...9795662&sr=1-3

2) Razer Kraken Pro
    (I've heard lots of bad things about Razer products, but with the 50% off sale, I was wondering if the Razer Kraken Pro would be worth the price)
    http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Kraken-O...9797151&sr=1-6

Thanks for your time and input!
    Last edited by Potency; 2014-01-15 at 02:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You seem to have put the same link twice.
    Anyway, I don't trust headphone made from plastic anymore. I mean the parts where the 'cups' connect to the thingy that is on your head.
    PM me weird stuff :3

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrops View Post
    You seem to have put the same link twice.
    Anyway, I don't trust headphone made from plastic anymore. I mean the parts where the 'cups' connect to the thingy that is on your head.
    Thanks for the heads up on the double link. Interesting point with the plastic ear cups. However, I have a feeling the more metal, the more money, so unless someone can point me towards an affordable headset that has metal parts, I'm afraid plastic will have to do.

I do not advocate Razer products. If you do pull the trigger on a Razer headset during the 50% off sale, don't bother with anything that advertises "5.1, 7.1 surround". Save yourself the trouble of finding out, but it's all gimmick.

Also note that you are already paying a bit extra for the convenience of a headset. This holds true for all headsets, as you can do much better buying separate headphones/mic for the same price tag.

OCN's Most recommended Audio Products is a solid place to start when looking into any form of PC audio at all price points.
    i5-3570k @ 4.6Ghz | Phanteks TC14PE | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Gigabyte GTX 1080 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    Asus Xonar Essence STX | Crucial M4 256MB | Seasonic X760 Gold | Silverstone FT02

Asus PG258Q 240Hz 24.5" | Das Keyboard 4 Pro | Logitech G502 | Audiotechnica ATH-AD900X | Blue Yeti

I kept hearing that you get better quality for your money out of dedicated headphones and a clip-on mic, so I purchased a new pair with Christmas money.

The headphones, ATH-M50 is a little out of your price range, but the Zalman mic works great and is very cheap. Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1...rds=zalman+mic

My friends agree that the sound quality is better than my old headset. I also like that you don't have the boom mic in your face, so I can take a sip of water or eat a snack easily. One thing I was worried about was the tangle of wires, but it clips onto the headphone cable in 4 places and stays neater than I expected.

If I was in your position, I'd get that mic (or a similar one) and a ~$50 pair of headphones.

Deleted
    Takstar 2050 headphones $45 (7-10 days shipping) + Mini Clip-on Microphone $2.58 both are free shipping, mic can be slightly flimsy so maybe order an extra for backup just in case.

Do note the headphones are open back so people around you will be able to hear a little bit of your sound and you will be able to hear others, which can both be a pro and a con.