Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Is it too late now to begin a Warlock?

As the title says, is it too late to make a Warlock now that would be used for raiding? I haven't done any raiding since HC Firelands, and I've been focusing entirely on PvP the last few years, but now I would actually like to begin raiding again and Warlock seems to be a nice class for raiding. Is is possible to catch up now? or is it too far into the expansion.... I'm also thinking about legendary cloak and stuff like that. Leveling probably won't take long, so within a week.

4 months of SoO yet i think u have time.

It's not bad to level up now, but for raiding that will depend on the level of raiding you want and what guilds are recruiting (if applicable). However, with Timeless Isle you can easily reach LFR requirements inside of a day if you're reasonably lucky or have the cloth tokens on a different character.

As for the legendary, it has had some of its more difficult out of raid requirements taken down a few pegs so that's helpful and the "collect 10 or 20 of some token" portions can drop in Siege as well as their appropriate raids.

Sooo, yeah get going <3 my lock!
    But then again, I am a Snowman on Fire!
    Yizelin the Insane

Deleted
    Why would it be too late to start a warlock specifically? Don't you think this would count for all classes?

Many hardcore guilds don't accept rerolls for a reroll often implies limited knowledge of the class. Currently the situation is even worse due to legendary items, but many casual guilds do accept rerolls and even some hardcore do if you prove to be good.

But if you're looking for a FOTM reroll (which is frowned upon), don't. Play the class you want to play, not the one that is now FOTM, you're indeed too late for that.

If you want to play the class: start it. But if you want only to play the class because it is on the tops on raidbots.com? Then no, don't play it. Yes, some classes might be better at dps than others: but at least i think that people who like to play their class make more damage then someone who only plays the class because some simbot or raidbots.com-analysis says it is the best dps class.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's never too late to start a new class....it is a game, after all. As others have said your reasons behind doing so might cause you trouble...depending on what they are.

The legendary cloak might be tough for you if you have bad RNG and if you're looking for heroic progress it's a certainty most of those guilds will require you to have it. Otherwise, go forth and have fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know this isn't the exact same situation, but I recently (a couple weeks ago) logged onto an 84 Destro warlock I havn't logged on for probably 2-3 years out of curiosity and after figuring out what the hell was going on and running a few dozen BGs and 5-mans, I was blown away at how fun and engaging it is. After essentially ignoring this toon for years, I'm actually considering switching mains for the expansion. I hope they don't change it drastically (the mechanics -- don't care if they nerf it a bit) too much because it really feels like what a caster should be. (Sorry Mage main)
    EverQuest, City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, EverQuest II, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Star Wars TOR, Guild Wars 2, Rift.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnkie View Post
    Oh it's going to be far more than 4 more months of SoO.

Quote Originally Posted by Televators View Post
    I know this isn't the exact same situation, but I recently (a couple weeks ago) logged onto an 84 Destro warlock I havn't logged on for probably 2-3 years out of curiosity and after figuring out what the hell was going on and running a few dozen BGs and 5-mans, I was blown away at how fun and engaging it is. After essentially ignoring this toon for years, I'm actually considering switching mains for the expansion. I hope they don't change it drastically (the mechanics -- don't care if they nerf it a bit) too much because it really feels like what a caster should be. (Sorry Mage main)
    Don't be surprised if it does change quite a bit. The mechanics of how it functions are a large part of how powerful it is right now. The main reason it's OP is not because it's extremely far ahead of everyone else (even though it is ahead of most other specs on virtually every fight). It's because the spec functions in such a way that there is no situation in which it does not perform well.
    Last edited by Vreivai; 2014-01-19 at 06:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get full heirlooms (upgrade them to 85 versions where applicable - have they fixed the level 80 bug yet though?) for 1-85, then the BoA gear for 85-90.

Also, have a set of blue crafted cloth gear (415 ilvl, random proc from creating the green MoP ones) too, and a full set (x2, for use with any Burdens you get) of Timless Isle gear.

Buy the 476 weapon on Timeless Isle or PvP a bit for Grievous, run some Hc Scenarios (you can queue for these before normal scenarios as ilvl requirements have been removed, lol).

Then some SoO LFR/Flex then boom!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyonis View Post
    Why would it be too late to start a warlock specifically? Don't you think this would count for all classes?

Many hardcore guilds don't accept rerolls for a reroll often implies limited knowledge of the class. Currently the situation is even worse due to legendary items, but many casual guilds do accept rerolls and even some hardcore do if you prove to be good.

But if you're looking for a FOTM reroll (which is frowned upon), don't. Play the class you want to play, not the one that is now FOTM, you're indeed too late for that.
    I "rerolled" wlock from playing resto druid, just to have an alt to play with some IRL's, got it slightly geared up, and joined a guild and was after a few months of gearing up topping the dps and one of the best players in the guild, warlock is incredibly easy to play and fits a movement heavy player too such as myself.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't even get what you're asking. What do you mean is it "too late"? What does that even mean? WoW isn't ending soon. My mind hurts right now.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

In terms of getting into a decently progressed raiding guild yes it's a bit late into the expansion to consider re-rolling. However if you don't mind just doing normals or entry-level heroics I'm sure you'll find a guild that's interested.

Go for it! Warlocks are really fun right now. Only thing that will take a long time is that legendary quest but if you're going to start it anyways then do that lock

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends what you want to do, when, at what level and how much time you can put in. At 90 you'l; need to gear up - are you willing to run LFR? Can you spend some money on crafted gear to speed things? You're not going to be able to zone into SoO LFR right off due to ilevel requirements, but the faster you can get to that level, the faster you'll gear.

The fact is that getting to 540 or so you can probably do in a couple of months depending on drop luck and what you can/will spend on crafted items. With awesome luck you might do it quicker, but figure a couple of months to get to 540. At that point you're probably credible for a normal mode guild assuming you're good at the class. So, by late March you can do normal modes.... If WoD drops in the June-August timeframe, you can get some raiding in.

But all of that assumes pretty consistent play from now until you're geared...

PS: Keep in mind that you get a free 90 in WoD... so if you're not going to be able to level and gear quickly and only have a small window in which to raid, you might want to wait until WoD and just burn your free 90 on a lock.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Velerios View Post
    If you want to play the class: start it. But if you want only to play the class because it is on the tops on raidbots.com? Then no, don't play it. Yes, some classes might be better at dps than others: but at least i think that people who like to play their class make more damage then someone who only plays the class because some simbot or raidbots.com-analysis says it is the best dps class.
    I haven't played WoW for some months and haven't really had time to be updated with logs and stuff, so I have no idea which class is good or bad atm. I thought about making a Warlock because while away from game it struck me that the whole evil theme and demons and stuff like that is pretty badass.

I'm very busy studying to become a teacher at the moment. The reasons for asking if it's "too late" is that I was thinking along the lines of maybe it's impossible to catch up to peoples gear lvls and stuff like that. Just seems that reading a few posts down most people have like 560 ilvl and above. And if that's what it takes to raid something like Flex then maybe it was better just keeping away from game and waiting for WoD raiding?

Started a Warlock ~4 weeks ago. Have green fire, 2-3 transmog sets and 545 ilvl. Definitely not too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Anabash View Post
    I haven't played WoW for some months and haven't really had time to be updated with logs and stuff, so I have no idea which class is good or bad atm. I thought about making a Warlock because while away from game it struck me that the whole evil theme and demons and stuff like that is pretty badass.

I'm very busy studying to become a teacher at the moment. The reasons for asking if it's "too late" is that I was thinking along the lines of maybe it's impossible to catch up to peoples gear lvls and stuff like that. Just seems that reading a few posts down most people have like 560 ilvl and above. And if that's what it takes to raid something like Flex then maybe it was better just keeping away from game and waiting for WoD raiding?
    That sort of ilvl isn't really appropriate for flex as it would imply that you are ready for, or already in, heroic Siege.

Sure people might ask for it, but it's way, way off the actual gear requirements of flex. Fully upgraded full ToT heroic loot was 543, and would clearly have been overgearing flex when SoO launched. To ask for 560 either means the raid leader wants to get boosted or the run is for achievements or vanity items.

Now is time enough to get through Siege normal with relative ease, and possibly join a heroic guild on trial if they are building their WoD roster.
    If you are looking for a heroic guild it's better to get in early rather than wait until WoD. Generally most guilds will have sorted their roster by then, so you'll be waiting for spots to come up. At the moment there's loads of spots as guilds form rosters for mythic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnkie View Post
    Expect 8-9 or even more months yet

Playing legendary catch-up is a total bummer. 40 minute queue for LFR into miserable groups for old tier raids to get quest items.

Which sucks, because everyone else has a legendary and it's hard to compete when Meta + Cape add SO much dps.

Other than that there's no problem with rerolling. Just sucks because you'll have to grind hardcore to get the cape.
    My style is rich, dope, phat; in which we'll bake a cake today that looks rich.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    I don't even get what you're asking. What do you mean is it "too late"? What does that even mean? WoW isn't ending soon. My mind hurts right now.
    I guess he is talking about getting it geared up and ready for HC SoO raiding before WoD.