Extremley hot CPU temps, normal?

I was looking in to my system today to see how much it could handle without having to upgrade fans, etc. and was finding consistently high temperatures compared to the rest of the forums i was searching. Here is my build

i5 - 2500k w/ stock fan(i know... stock D:...)
    r9 290
    Gigabyte LGA 1155 Z77 mobo
    Corsair enthusiast 650W PSU
    Corsair Vengance 2x4MB

Idle my CPU was sitting around 35 degrees which seems slightly hotter than most stock cooler builds i was finding. For reference, my room is usually around 70F. My case has a 230mm side fan, the stock cpu fan, a 130mm top fan and a 130mm rear fan. When i ran the Prime95 small torture test i was forced to stop the test as i was reaching 85+ and still climbing after less than 1 minute of torture testing. I have not seen ANYONE with a stock cooler reach these temperatures on their i5-2500k. I entered BIOS and ensured my settings were what they should be. Since i was not overclocking i had Turbo left on (3.7 core 1, 3.6 core 2, 3.5 core 3, 3.4 core 4 when turbo kicks in) and all other default settings. My fans were performing optimally (CPU fan breaking 2000 RPM, Rear fan at around 1500 RPM, rest around 1k RPM). After browsing through some forums i decided to ensure my heatsink/fan were firmly attached and they were. Does anyone have any ideas as to why my temps are so high? Im about order a non-stock fan to put on there but im worried that my problem runs deeper than a fan here.

Thank you for any helpful responses.

Is is not that extremely hot since games dont use 100% cpu all the time, but a aftermarket is always a good investment. Like the coolermaster 212 or even the 412 will get you that extra overclock options if you desire to.

The 212 is the cooler i am going to order as soon as i can confirm that i have no issues causing these extremely high temperatures other than a stock cooler. I have read that the 212 can easily OC 4.2-4.5GHZ and keep it under 80C.

i5 - 2500k w/ stock fan(i know... stock D:...)

There's your problem. Don't do torture tests with the stock cooler. It's bad. Get the 212 like megabeat said. It's cheap and way better than the stock one.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Stock fan is fine for non-OC, and even OC WITHOUT stress testing (which really can't be properly tested without doing so, so kind of moot)

However those temps are not unheard of. My stock on stock clock got up to the 65's just gaming, and in the 80s stress testing. I woulnd't worry about it too much until you get a real cooler on there first.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Im playing Torchlight II with spotify going and a stream up on my second monitor and im at 25-40% CPU load pushing 65-70C.... that stock clock stock fan...that just seems way high to me.

That's the stock intel cooler for you. It's nothing to really worry about. The stock coolers are meant to keep the chips within specs for stock settings, which they do perfectly fine. Although it's generally not recommended the chip will be fine operating at temps above 80c. Even running it 24/7 at these high temps you're eventually going to replace the chip before you see and real negative effects of having it at these temps. Now personally I love seeing my temps as low as possible, so I only see about 60c max at 4.5ghz with an AIO watercooler on my 2500k.. Don't worry too much about it though. If you want to overclock the chip (and you should, the 2500k is still an excellent chip with great overclocking potential) then I'd suggest getting an aftermarket cooler. Like others have said, a 212 evo can be had for quite a decent price and will do the job well enough to get you into the 4.1-4.3 range easily.

Oh yeah, im definitely going to get a 212 evo. I just wanting to ensure i had no other issues with my system/chip before investing in an after market cooler. My final question would be about the thermal paste. Is the paste that comes with the 212 acceptable or should i really purchase the silver paste?

And again, thanks for all the responses thus far.

I think the stress tests are pointless, they stress your processor far more than they will ever get stressed in normal usage and gaming. People with stable overclocks that run games fine have fried chips using Prime95, it's like running your car at max RPM for long periods of time just to test if it will overheat/blow up, when you just need it to go down the shops.

I understand that people want to test just how stable their system is but it's overkill. If your processor is below 40c idle then it is fine, it will probably run what 45-55 in games? Prime will often take an everyday stable CPU to TJ maxx temps, your computer will take measures to stop itself from frying, the same processor that may have never seen above 60c in all the gaming and other intensive things one could throw at it.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

I'm 30C at Idle and around 50C at load with a NH-D14, OC'd to 4.5GHz (2500k). Treat yourself to a nice CPU cooler. It's worth it. The 2500K was a good buy for me a few years ago.

I dont know much about chips and CPU fans but i do know my CPU reaches 100% usage frequently when playing BF4 on ultra. Bf4 on ultra with a stream + battlelog up on second monitor and in skype keeps my CPU at 95%+ so the test really opened my eyes the temps my chip was being pushed to on stock cooler. What im hoping is a 20% OC (thats about up to 4.0) will allow me the tiny extra umph i need to be able to stream BF4, and if not im ready to buy the avermedia capture card since at this point my CPU is my limiting factor, not my R9 290.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    I think the stress tests are pointless, they stress your processor far more than they will ever get stressed in normal usage and gaming. People with stable overclocks that run games fine have fried chips using Prime95, it's like running your car at max RPM for long periods of time just to test if it will overheat/blow up, when you just need it to go down the shops.

I understand that people want to test just how stable their system is but it's overkill. If your processor is below 40c idle then it is fine, it will probably run what 45-55 in games? Prime will often take an everyday stable CPU to TJ maxx temps, your computer will take measures to stop itself from frying, the same processor that may have never seen above 60c in all the gaming and other intensive things one could throw at it.
    Unfortunately, this is a misunderstanding of how stress tests work, and what they are for. They are not about simply 'pushing' your CPU. And it is not at all like running a car at max RPM to 'test' it. They might look like similar processes from the outside, but they are logistically very different actions.

Stress tests have a very important purpose, and are effectively required for overclocking, even if your system never reaches those heat levels under normal operation.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Unfortunately, this is a misunderstanding of how stress tests work, and what they are for. They are not about simply 'pushing' your CPU. And it is not at all like running a car at max RPM to 'test' it. They might look like similar processes from the outside, but they are logistically very different actions.

Stress tests have a very important purpose, and are effectively required for overclocking, even if your system never reaches those heat levels under normal operation.
    I don't misunderstand how and why it is done at all, I just disagree that they are required. Like I said, the same system that will run without a hitch overclocked for years, that will run any game without a sweat can be damaged by prime 95. Furthermore, if you're running high overclocks for the sole purpose of say hitting 3d mark scores, the chances of frying your system in Prime 95 are real when it would do fine in the benchmark.

I've a friend who recently got into the hall of fame in futuremark (think he had the 2nd highest score in the UK) benchmarks, he did not stress test his system, infact he ran the benchmark and then underclocked it for normal use. I've used my system for 2 and half years at 4.5ghz, I've never had so much as a hiccup and yet in prime 95 when I was doing the overclocking while the system was new I had to shut it off within a minute due to ridiculous heat, heat that it has never even come close to since, it idles 30-35 ish, under 50 during gaming.

Prime 95 stress testing is not required, it's not representing anything the system would do in the real world. It can find instability in your system, simply the test will stop if/when there is an error. The problem is that Prime 95 can also fry your CPU and stresses it far harder than any normal operation would, CPU's that have never seen above 55c are up at 80-90c in under a minute.

Saying it's required is subjective, I'm far from the only person who has a PC nearing on 3 years of flawless overclocked computing. Testing for errors should not require you to torment your PC far beyond what it would ever see in the normal world of computing.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2014-01-16 at 04:56 AM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    I don't misunderstand how and why it is done at all, I just disagree that they are required.
    If you ask people when a CPU is stable, one guy comes with "aslong as you don't bsod", another guy says it has to pass 24hrs or 12hrs prime95 blend with all memory and someone else claims you should be in every stresstest stable or you have to test the stability in the long run with folding or 24/7 rendering whatsoever so it's just pretty much getting subjective imo.

@Op you used small fft's as test, it singles the cpu out and it adds lots of more heat than any other test in prime95.
    3930K@NH-U12s | Asus R4E | 16GB (4x4GB 1600MHz) Dominator Platinum | 2x Asus gtx 780 DC2OC SLI | Evga Supernova 1000 P2 | S27A750D

10+ Year Old Account
    Rather than creating a new thread I thought I'd ask in this one as my question is basically the same.

I just built a computer today (like, I literally finished an hour ago or so) and ran Core Temp and SpeedFan to monitor things. My build:
    i7 4930k
    GTX 780ti
    8GB RAM
    ASUS P9X79 (2011) mobo

I think I have good airflow as my GPU idles around 35-40°C and my system is cool (core temp saying around 28-30°C). My question is regarding my CPU cores. Core Temp reads each core idling around 35-40°C, but SpeedFan is warning me that my CPU is too hot (showing 110°C, without separating them into cores). Is SpeedFan just trying to lump all the cores together, and should I be concerned about my temperatures?

I replaced the stock heatsink with a Cooler Master Seidon 240M kit. I have not done any overclocking.

Any advice is appreciated!

Edit: Oh, also...what does the Tj. Max mean in Core Temp? Sorry for all the questions >< This is only my second build.
    Last edited by -aiko-; 2014-01-16 at 05:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    They can't operate at 110° max 94° because at 95° the cpu shuts the pc immediately off so speedfan is just reporting false.
    3930K@NH-U12s | Asus R4E | 16GB (4x4GB 1600MHz) Dominator Platinum | 2x Asus gtx 780 DC2OC SLI | Evga Supernova 1000 P2 | S27A750D

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    Rather than creating a new thread I thought I'd ask in this one as my question is basically the same.

I just built a computer today (like, I literally finished an hour ago or so) and ran Core Temp and SpeedFan to monitor things. My build:
    i7 4930k
    GTX 780ti
    8GB RAM
    ASUS P9X79 (2011) mobo

I think I have good airflow as my GPU idles around 35-40°C and my system is cool (core temp saying around 28-30°C). My question is regarding my CPU cores. Core Temp reads each core idling around 35-40°C, but SpeedFan is warning me that my CPU is too hot (showing 110°C, without separating them into cores). Is SpeedFan just trying to lump all the cores together, and should I be concerned about my temperatures?

I replaced the stock heatsink with a Cooler Master Seidon 240M kit. I have not done any overclocking.

Any advice is appreciated!

Edit: Oh, also...what does the Tj. Max mean in Core Temp? Sorry for all the questions >< This is only my second build.
    1. Use HWmonitor to check your CPU cores, way more precise: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
    2. Tj. Max = the maximum degrees your CPU can get before it starts to throttle itself/before it starts to get damaged from the heat.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

This is the only monitor I trust to actually keep track of my temps.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    They can't operate at 110° max 94° because at 95° the cpu shuts the pc immediately off so speedfan is just reporting false.
    Even AMD CPU's that traditionally run hotter then Intels are around 65c max.

I have a AMD 8350 with a 240mm Water cooler.

My temps are @ Idle 9-15c and running wow or some other game it may hit 25c.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masoner View Post
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
    This is the only monitor I trust to actually keep track of my temps.
    I do like HWMonitor for it's other uses, however I've found that it misreports sometimes (it shows my laptop running at 150c, when it's not). I always double check with two programs usually.
    Those are not standard temps. 9c is 50f.. .that's jacket and scarf weather for me... Indoors? Either you must like the house REALLY FREAKIN COLD, or it might be misreporting. Most people can't get 25c at idle.

Quote Originally Posted by Masoner View Post
    Even AMD CPU's that traditionally run hotter then Intels are around 65c max.

I have a AMD 8350 with a 240mm Water cooler.

If your cpu is idling at 9° then your ambient temp would be around ~ 7° which is way too cold for a living/bed room so no your cpu isn't idling at those temps.