Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    He is an outlier, under 2% of people do this, or was it 2.2... in any case it's quite low.
    Better to exterminate or "euthanize" (I think this word is more appropriate) 50 murderers than let 1 innocent person be murdered.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Dat electric chair bill
    Yep. Or even cheaper, a good rope and a nice thick tree limb.

Quote Originally Posted by ShuaVerde View Post
    Would you rather criminals like this be let free to victimize people again to save some cash?

In my opinion, the parole board that let a scumbag like this back in public should be held liable.
    From what I've gathered, the ones in charge of deciding whether or not to let someone out early have more than one thing on their agendas. It's the system they live in that constrict their decision-making. I don't think any person who opted to work with people as their profession relish the idea to set loose a potential relapse murderer. Or at least, I hope not.

But if there's no room, more evident people are in need of the little space they have, not enough funding, or they actually believed he wouldn't relapse, surely they can't be held accountable for releasing that person. Police and doctors have to deal with life and death choises, and if they're held liable when they're wrong, no one will want to work with it. In order to protect the system, there has to be a bit of a leeway. Obviously gross incompetence should always be harshly dealt with.

Usually when someone walks who probably shouldn't, it's a money thing. At least here in Sweden. If you really have to blame someone for this, blame the people who aren't paying enough taxes, the politicians who try their best to do what they can with the finite resources, or the education system/social services that didn't spot and stop his deadly behavior growth as a child/teenager, or his family/neighbors for not caring/whatever.

A murderer is just a product of a chain. It's like holding a gun legally responsible for a shooting, or the gun maker, and not the gunman. Or attacking the puppets, or puppet maker, ignoring the puppeteer, who will live on to put on another puppet show another day.

Having a murderer loose, that's a problem. Having a parole board releasing said murderer, that is also a problem. But they're not the source of the problem. Don't hate the players, hate the game. Really.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    He is an outlier, under 2% of people do this, or was it 2.2... in any case it's quite low.
    You're placing a quantitative value on something that doesn't fit....At all.

Despite the percentage chances of recommitting (which I frankly would like to see a source for), their freedom isn't worth the 2.2 percent chance of them murdering someone who did nothing to warrant the taking of their life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Okay, you can pay for his execution. For bonus points: it may actually cost more than lifetime incarceration.
    I was under the impression that it was the very long appeal process for an execution that ended up costing so much money, and not the actual execution. Hell, I'll pay for the rope if anyone can tie a noose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

Quote Originally Posted by Rissler-Dark- View Post
    Just crazy!!! I hate stories like these it's a shame nothing ever get done..
    You know... we DO things about murderers... and then people complain that we're too hard on criminals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    You know... we DO things about murderers... and then people complain that we're too hard on criminals.
    Or pretend that "nurture" has a overwhelming role in determining ethics and morality.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    We are too hard on petty/non dangerous criminals while not being harsh enough on dangerous/violent ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigzoman20 View Post
    Or pretend that "nurture" has a overwhelming role in determining ethics and morality.
    Ah yes... "He's only a murderer because his socioeconomical situation pre-ordained it."

If you intentionally take the life of another human being (Murder), you should forfeit your own, and face a Life Sentence.

That's because the shit we do is backwards and wrong. Creating an environment that just teaches criminals how to become better criminals is not the way to keep them out out of jail. But I guess we'll just blame our ridiculously high recidivism rates when compared to other parts of the world on the economy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I agree with a appeal system. But many last way too long. They need to limit the appeal system to say 3 years. And yes, mistakes will still happen. But justice must be swift also. Delaying a execution for 15+ years is just stupid and is a injustice to the victims of murders.
    Such limits on appeals will means more innocent lives taken by the state.

Oh I see this gem of a human was convicted not once, but TWICE previously for murder and manslaughter.

Better leave him eligible for parole this third time, too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    That's because the shit we do is backwards and wrong. Creating an environment that just teaches criminals how to become better criminals is not the way to keep them out out of jail. But I guess we'll just blame our ridiculously high recidivism rates when compared to other parts of the world on the economy.
    I'm all for a criminal justice system like Norway's... for nonviolent offenders.

Violent offenders shouldn't be treated with any form of kindness whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Skalm View Post
    3. Get the Death Penalty? Take them outside the courthouse and shoot them. No Appeals, No 15 Years no Death Row with lobster and steak dinners because it 'might be your last night'. <-This is why Death Penalty does not deter many people.
    From a purely psychological point of view, you are correct. If you separate the behavior and the punishment enough, they won't be associated in the misbehaver's mind. You can't have your dog pee on the floor on Monday, wait two days, and then yell at it- it won't learn. Of course, if we take them outside and shoot them, then the embarrassingly large number of people on death row who are later proven innocent would be... A bigger issue.

But if you kill someone, you should have absolutely no rights at all in prison. You should be treated like a dangerous wild animal. Look at the prisons in Thailand and such. Those are a deterrent, because when you go in there, you are screwed. Our prisons are a spa compared to those places.
    I would say this is where our opinions differ. There are plenty of countries that have much cushier prison systems than ours with much lower recidivism rates. That's because they focus on rehabilitation. When we throw a first time offender into prison, we are sending them to criminal grad school- they get packed in there with no hope and a lot of other criminals, with plenty of time to figure out how to do it better next time.

If we instead focused on alternative punishments for nonviolent offenders and rehabilitation/education for first-time violent offenders, those people would leave prison and some of them, maybe many of them, would join the workforce and contribute to society instead of re-offending. If they do it again, sure, throw the book at them. Throw them in a hole. But I think that the current system is clearly broken, and refusing to look at European systems that are quantitatively better because they're 'soft on crime' is intellectually lazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    RAFing yourself is totally allowed.

You could just fix your justice system, rather than having stuff run by a jury and prisons outsourced to profit-seekers.
    'Rehabilitation' is NOT just flicking someone's arse in jail for a few years to be molested and abused, and then released an even more fucked up individual than was originally tossed in.

Granted some people are in prison for stupid stuff like tax evasion and such, which I think borderlines on the 'You Don't have rights anymore'.

But if you kill someone, you should have absolutely no rights at all in prison. You should be treated like a dangerous wild animal. Look at the prisons in Thailand and such. Those are a deterrent, because when you go in there, you are screwed. Our prisons are a spa compared to those places.
    So... Can you explain to us how it is that there's so many people imprisoned in Thailand, if it's such an effective deterrent?
    Last edited by Stir; 2014-01-16 at 06:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Such limits on appeals will means more innocent lives taken by the state.

I agree that our justice system is flawed in the handling of nonviolent offenders depending on what your definition of nonviolent is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    You could just fix your justice system, rather than having stuff run by a jury and prisons outsourced to profit-seekers.
    'Rehabilitation' is NOT just flicking someone's arse in jail for a few years to be molested and abused, and then released an even more fucked up individual than was originally tossed in.
    A date with the booty warrior or being forced to comb a much larger mans chest hair could play a role in scaring someone straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigzoman20 View Post
    A date with the booty warrior or being forced to comb a much larger mans chest hair could play a role in scaring someone straight.
    If you think you can frighten people into submission, think again. Humans aren't too easily tamed. Easily controlled with a lighter touch, but introduce fear, real fear, and all you're going to get out of it is violence and insanity.

Violent offenders shouldn't be treated with any form of kindness whatsoever.
    Should nonviolent offenders be in prison at all? I mean, sure, you embezzle $100k, you belong in prison, but Felony Shoplifting? Really? Possession of pot (for personal use)? Really? Stop that crap. It's lame. There are other ways to punish people that don't take them out of the workforce, that don't make them more hardened criminals, and that don't cost us so much money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    RAFing yourself is totally allowed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    If you think you can frighten people into submission, think again. Humans aren't too easily tamed. Easily controlled with a lighter touch, but introduce fear, real fear, and all you're going to get out of it is violence and insanity.
    I think this varies from person to person. Unless the scared straight programs across the nation are ineffective at deterring youth.

Deleted
    this is why I fully supoprt and want a death penalty for all convicted murderers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Okay, you can pay for his execution. For bonus points: it may actually cost more than lifetime incarceration.
    No it doesn't. It's completely 100% free to just snap his neck like a twig with your bare hands.

Baseball bat to the skull and bludgeoning him to death is what, $10?

Shooting him in the back of the head only costs the price of the ammo and gun.

Slitting his throat and letting him bleed out, cost of a knife.

Hanging him, price of rope. Tree branch does the rest.

The problem is people believe murderers, who are nothing more than monsters, deserve to be treated with respect and dignified deaths. They don't, as they are not human, they are monsters, and you put monsters down any way you can since they will just hurt more people in the long run.