Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #41
    Bloodsail Admiral palladish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,023
    Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    Favorite battleground poll: http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...weets-FCM-Poll

    So it seems our favorite BG is a skill-less PvE zergfest.

    It's not even really PvP. Unlike, say, Arathi Basin or Twin Peaks, there's no skill involved in Alterac Valley. It's not about who uses their class abilities better. It's about who spams their AoE hardest. Personal skill is mostly irrelevant. And the objective of this favorite BG? Kill a PvE boss.

    This is an utter embarrassment.

    We should all hang our heads in shame at the results of this poll.
    implying surveys/polls are actually reliable information. Only certain people actually give a shit about those, only certain people will actually answer those which you can clearly see by the amount of people who answered it

  2. #42
    Lots of alliance players propably voted for AV while the horde vote was more evenly split between multiple BG's.

  3. #43
    I am Murloc! Baracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5,944
    AV is fun when you have some people helping you attack/defend towers, if you go alone while everyone rushes it's boring.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

  4. #44
    Dreadlord Huntermyth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    orgrimmar
    Posts
    778
    not this utter crap ( no surprise there, only 2 bgs that alliance dominate are av and ioc ) version but old av was a real battleground.

    apart from that obvious, i would pick wsg or battle for gilneas.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    Favorite battleground poll: http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...weets-FCM-Poll

    So it seems our favorite BG is a skill-less PvE zergfest.

    It's not even really PvP. Unlike, say, Arathi Basin or Twin Peaks, there's no skill involved in Alterac Valley. It's not about who uses their class abilities better. It's about who spams their AoE hardest. Personal skill is mostly irrelevant. And the objective of this favorite BG? Kill a PvE boss.

    This is an utter embarrassment.

    We should all hang our heads in shame at the results of this poll.
    I'm guessing you play horde and don't bother to backcap towers

  6. #46
    Legendary! Korgoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Barbaria
    Posts
    6,707
    Quote Originally Posted by Skarssen View Post
    I'm guessing you play horde and don't bother to backcap towers
    Was doing AV on my new lock all day yesterday. I doubt even 1 in every 100 horde players will attempt to back cap in AV.

    What's really sad is the number who do it on the Alliance is way higher, and it actually hurts the Alliance! Since having already won the cap race we just have to D the towers then kill the boss. So having our players on the other side of the map retaking a tower that doesn't make a difference if it caps or not is a complete waste, and if they do recap it and kill the horde, then you have Horde spawning down south, and then you might end up with them playing Turtle, and drag out a 10min win into a 20min win.

    And god forbid you try to explain this to the Alliance back capping.
    Last edited by Korgoth; 2014-01-20 at 04:57 AM.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

  7. #47
    Stood in the Fire Hooliganz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    The North
    Posts
    480
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    People who voted AV most likely had the old AV matches in their mind.

    On a side not, I did over 30 AV matches the last 2 days on my Horde alts and I won only 4 :P
    when u said 4 wins out of last 30 matches i thought it was me who wrote this comment


    i agree about the pve part ,and thats why Ally win it most of the time
    but still if u are a group of 5 defending Galv running mid in the field at the start of the game slowing others down
    or recapping towers its pretty fun u have lots of stuff to do
    in AV u decide if u want to pvp or not
    Last edited by Hooliganz; 2014-01-20 at 05:05 AM.

  8. #48
    Epic!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    lurking in the bushes outside of your window.
    Posts
    1,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Naralix View Post
    The old AV was the best BG in the game..the new one one of the worst. Maybe the poll should have specified old/current AV so it would be more accurate :P
    The new av is a shell of the old one, and it's still decent to play. I truly dislike most of the others.

  9. #49
    The Insane Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    17,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Was doing AV on my new lock all day yesterday. I doubt even 1 in every 100 horde players will attempt to back cap in AV.

    What's really sad is the number who do it on the Alliance is way higher, and it actually hurts the Alliance! Since having already won the cap race we just have to D the towers then kill the boss. So having our players on the other side of the map retaking a tower that doesn't make a difference if it caps or not is a complete waste, and if they do recap it and kill the horde, then you have Horde spawning down south, and then you might end up with them playing Turtle, and drag out a 10min win into a 20min win.

    And god forbid you try to explain this to the Alliance back capping.
    There goes this debate... Let me chime in..
    When I do AV on my horde toons, this is what I have on winning statistics..
    1. Gotta have tanks.... For some weird reason, times and again, standing outside the boss room with no tanks on horde side..
    2. If you start to back cap, you entered the loser street..
    3. It's extremely helpful to switch to PVE gear for the boss fight itself.

    It's just what it is.... Alliance grabs whats on the way, but essentially just zergs down to the boss...
    And while a bunch of hordes are busy trying to back cap, the remaining force misses these forces to take on the boss..
    Result..... Sound plays....... Alliance wins..

    The BG objects became (unfortunately) almost useless and are only a hindering on the race to the kill.
    Pretty much every win I get on horde side happens when there is no back capping, when the entire force zergs. Maybe a few stealthies that are able to slow down the zerg in the boss room with collaborate team work to wipe them...
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

  10. #50
    Brewmaster Buxton McGraff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Covina, California
    Posts
    1,489
    Seems to me like the vast majority of people on these forums are strictly PVE because they either don't like or can't handle PVP.

  11. #51
    The Insane Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    17,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Buxton McGraff View Post
    Seems to me like the vast majority of people on these forums are strictly PVE because they either don't like or can't handle PVP.
    IF a PVP battle breaks out in AV, then it is hands down the best BG... Even today these battles are still epic, but unfortunately way too seldom.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

  12. #52
    Some of my guilds raiders favourite moments in WoW have been when we queued for AV as a 5 man group and decided on an objective for that game (hold Stonehearth Bunker, cap and burn FW towers early, Summon Ivus) and stuck to it. AV has so much potential even in its bastardised form for truly epic moments with friends.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    IF a PVP battle breaks out in AV, then it is hands down the best BG... Even today these battles are still epic, but unfortunately way too seldom.
    You're not alone in that opinion - whenever I queue solo for AV as I'm rarely doing it for honour after the first week of an expansion I always encourage as many people as possible to defend Balinda. It usually garners enough support to ensure theres enough horde ressing down south to create some friction. Try it, see if it works on NA servers (you're NA right?)
    While Diogenes was relaxing in the sunlight in the morning, Alexander, thrilled to meet the famous philosopher, asked if there was any favour he might do for him. Diogenes replied, "Yes, stand out of my sunlight". Alexander then declared, "If I were not Alexander, then I should wish to be Diogenes", to which Diogenes replied, "If I were not Diogenes, I should also wish to be Diogenes."

  13. #53
    The Insane Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    17,007
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post

    You're not alone in that opinion - whenever I queue solo for AV as I'm rarely doing it for honour after the first week of an expansion I always encourage as many people as possible to defend Balinda. It usually garners enough support to ensure theres enough horde ressing down south to create some friction. Try it, see if it works on NA servers (you're NA right?)
    Yup, NA realm.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

  14. #54
    Legendary! Korgoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Barbaria
    Posts
    6,707
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    There goes this debate... Let me chime in..
    When I do AV on my horde toons, this is what I have on winning statistics..
    1. Gotta have tanks.... For some weird reason, times and again, standing outside the boss room with no tanks on horde side..
    2. If you start to back cap, you entered the loser street..
    3. It's extremely helpful to switch to PVE gear for the boss fight itself.

    It's just what it is.... Alliance grabs whats on the way, but essentially just zergs down to the boss...
    And while a bunch of hordes are busy trying to back cap, the remaining force misses these forces to take on the boss..
    Result..... Sound plays....... Alliance wins..

    The BG objects became (unfortunately) almost useless and are only a hindering on the race to the kill.
    Pretty much every win I get on horde side happens when there is no back capping, when the entire force zergs. Maybe a few stealthies that are able to slow down the zerg in the boss room with collaborate team work to wipe them...
    The tank thing only comes into play if you can't get 3 towers down. 1 tower up and hes tankable by anyone really.

    So backcapping to delay them getting to 1 tower is valuable, if they dont have the PVE geared tank and healers capable of taking 2 or more guards on at time. Which I believe is the majority of the time since AV on Alliance has become fresh 90 heaven.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Yup, NA realm.
    If you do try it expect to get some heat from the PvE zerg heros
    While Diogenes was relaxing in the sunlight in the morning, Alexander, thrilled to meet the famous philosopher, asked if there was any favour he might do for him. Diogenes replied, "Yes, stand out of my sunlight". Alexander then declared, "If I were not Alexander, then I should wish to be Diogenes", to which Diogenes replied, "If I were not Diogenes, I should also wish to be Diogenes."

  16. #56
    Herald of the Titans zephid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Oh look, one of those people. You wouldn't have made this post if your fav bg was leading so get the f out.

    Same goes for every idiot claiming it's nostalgia peeps who vote for it. It doesn't matter what reason take for the vote, the result is what matters.
    But the result can be interpreted in different ways.

  17. #57
    So wait - PvE in PvP is BAD. While at the same time, you'll likely see that in WoD's PvP Zone AND Old PvP Items have actually been PvE Items bought for Honor? So PvP back in the day was utter shit, AV and Npc's on a Battleground are utter shit and usually every BG should just be a Circle with a Flag or an Objective in the middle, so everyone can play Gladiator for Santa's Cock while Winterveil is going on? Wow.. where does the "Stupid PvE"-train even end? I always hear PvPers walking around claiming "Our Job is the HARDEST, go kill your fucking Dragon", while at the same time they can't do shit in PvE. So easy, right? Doing 2,5k Arena but not being able to kill a stupid fucking PvE Boss?

  18. #58
    Legendary! Korgoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Barbaria
    Posts
    6,707
    That's some nice PVE'r trash talk. PVE is dancing, learning the steps and executing them properly, PVP is fighting! Unpredictable and dynamic!

    AV is more like dancing, step step step to the boss, twirl twirl twirl, and take your bow. The PVE elements in it now are really just running to the end standing around then killing a raid boss. They used to be a lot less predictable, they required time investment and killing of hundreds of players for resources. Its far different.

    And yeah I'd remove all NPCs from AV. I think in its current form it would function better as a reverse AB, where you start with 2000 resources and lose 500 for every tower burned, and 1 for every player death.
    Last edited by Korgoth; 2014-01-20 at 05:36 AM.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

  19. #59
    Scarab Lord b2121945's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    EUSSR
    Posts
    4,338
    AV is great. Force turtle. Kill PvE players.

  20. #60
    Anyone who plays Alliance should love AV and IoC, because they're the only ones we win reliably.

    I find IoC enjoyable, but still miss Classic AV. 700 HKs in a single round on my Hunter back then is not something I'd soon forget. So much fun. (Although alot of it was spent turtling in Dun Baldar, but hey.)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •