Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Bloodsail Admiral Master Jinora's Avatar

a little game I call, 'Bust the Account-Seller'

So a few friends and I have a little game we decided to play. We call it 'Bust the Account Seller', we find high-priced character ads, and work to figure out the characters name to report it to blizzard.

So this is the one we were challenged to: <snip>

We'd never seen this website before. We thought it might be tricky to figure out the characters real name. It was actually quite easy. Looking at this character, it was obviously a highly geared hunter, probably around the highest geared on the server, even! So I looked at the HTML, to see if there was anything left over from the official armory. Turned out, they left the server in there, 'Turalyon', Bingo. I went and looked at worldofwargraphs.com, and looked at their top 100 hunters. This one was #2 on there server! So, I felt like doing a little social justice, and I reported it to blizzard in a ticket.

PS: This is the characters armory. I see no harm in posting it, they are account-dealing scum. And deserve a ban.
    <snip>
    Last edited by Zaelsino; 2014-01-17 at 12:25 AM.
    "Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind."
    — Zaheer

What a d...

Playing what my friends are playing ie : DESTINY on x1

I couldn't really care less if people sold accounts to be honest..

EDIT: to clarify; there is a lot of malicious things happening such as scamming and hacking in that sort of community but excluding those I don't think that actual selling of an account is that wrong.
    Last edited by Jataai; 2014-01-17 at 12:18 AM.

masked armory shows 0 heroic gear. Actual armory shows almost full heroic gear with no loot activity in the last 2 weeks. So...
    I would hardly call this definitive. The actual armory also lacks a hyacinth macaw.
    Last edited by Anuibus; 2014-01-17 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Elsa View Post
    So a few friends and I have a little game we decided to play. We call it 'Bust the Account Seller', we find high-priced character ads, and work to figure out the characters name to report it to blizzard.

So this is the one we were challenged to: <snip>

We'd never seen this website before. We thought it might be tricky to figure out the characters real name. It was actually quite easy. Looking at this character, it was obviously a highly geared hunter, probably around the highest geared on the server, even! So I looked at the HTML, to see if there was anything left over from the official armory. Turned out, they left the server in there, 'Turalyon', Bingo. I went and looked at worldofwargraphs.com, and looked at their top 100 hunters. This one was #2 on there server! So, I felt like doing a little social justice, and I reported it to blizzard in a ticket.

PS: This is the characters armory. I see no harm in posting it, they are account-dealing scum. And deserve a ban.
    <snip>
    You're doing god's work!

*In before a do-gooder mod shuts this down.
    Last edited by Zaelsino; 2014-01-17 at 12:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Let's be clear: It's Pandaria, not 'panda land'. Everyone got the message?
    -Yes, yes let the anger FLOW through you.
    The community whined and bitched and cried, they stamped their little feet and demanded faster expansion releases. They don't get to complain now that expansions are shorter.

nice detective work i guess!

but blizzard probably won't ban anyone for this because im assuming anyone can list a character on selling sites, theres no proof they made the ad themselves?
    Quote Originally Posted by endus View Post
    A thread about how hard it is being a white dude is not really a reasonable topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    You are assuming Cybran actually reads the articles he links.
    I suspect he is actually some Soviet algorithm gone rogue, transmitting from some forgotten bunker, responding to keywords by googling them and adding "+bad" to the search query, and then just copy/pasting anything it comes across.

Naming & Shaming
    We don't want to see one sided accusations or any other form of naming and shaming. Armory links to characters that are not your own will be deleted, as will character names and servers.
    Source: http://www.mmo-champion.com/faq.php?faq=forumrules

OP, you dun goofed.

So what you are saying is that you and your friends are a bunch of snitches...

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    nice detective work i guess!

but blizzard probably won't ban anyone for this because im assuming anyone can list a character on selling sites, theres no proof they made the ad themselves?
    Or what if he's wrong and has accused that hunter if something they haven't done?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-cleave View Post
    Or what if he's wrong and has accused that hunter if something they haven't done?
    I've already shown how he's probably completely wrong via multiple discrepancies. Another one, the player has an amani war bear which is not shown on the masked armory.

Quote Originally Posted by Anuibus View Post
    masked armory shows 0 heroic gear. Actual armory shows almost full heroic gear with no loot activity in the last 2 weeks. So...
    I would hardly call this definitive.

also, achiev points are different, different tabard and gear is just different.

either that maskedarmory thing is out of date, or its wrong character.

im not sure if masked armory updates gear live official armory does.
    A thread about how hard it is being a white dude is not really a reasonable topic.
    I suspect he is actually some Soviet algorithm gone rogue, transmitting from some forgotten bunker, responding to keywords by googling them and adding "+bad" to the search query, and then just copy/pasting anything it comes across.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxJr View Post
    So what you are saying is that you and your friends are a bunch of snitches...
    This isn't OZ or whatever prison show you fancy. People hacking/selling accounts is toxic to the game/community. Bravo to OP and his pals for busting these degenerates.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Let's be clear: It's Pandaria, not 'panda land'. Everyone got the message?
    -Yes, yes let the anger FLOW through you.
    The community whined and bitched and cried, they stamped their little feet and demanded faster expansion releases. They don't get to complain now that expansions are shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-cleave View Post

made another post, i posted the first one before i really looked at the links

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    either that maskedarmory thing is out of date, or its wrong character.
    Theres no out of date it could be that would cause it to not show the amani war bear that the hunter actually has.

You can't find anything better to do with your day? What does it matter to you if someone sells their account? What if they're strapped for cash? Obviously that's not always the case, but the fact that you take it upon yourself to enforce this games "laws" is quite frankly pretty sad.

also they have different professions

Oh, and just because a profile is up on masked armory doesn't necessarily mean that player is selling their account. Anyone can go and have it pull the armory data of whoever they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovecrafts View Post
    This isn't OZ or whatever prison show you fancy. People hacking/selling accounts is toxic to the game/community. Bravo to OP and his pals for busting these degenerates.
    I'm somewhat confused as to how selling your account is toxic to the game and community. Hacking I can agree is bad.

Remember kids, selling high level characters is a bad thing.

Unless, of course, you're Blizzard and then it's a new 'feature.'
    Garrosh: "LOK'TAR! HAVE A HAMBURGER."

I am The Burning Legion - Play Free Online Games