Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    It's a sense of entitlement. people think that because they exist, they deserve a good stimulating job with good pay, regardless of if they are educated or not. Fact is, if you have no education, then tough titties. Kids are warned enough at school that if they don't go through the motions they wont get decent jobs.

This being said, that's amazing pay for the type of work. It's not like she'll have to lick toilet bowls clean. Pout in chemicals, swab with a brush, repeat, all while wearing thick gloves. Silly women.
    RETH

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    It's a sense of entitlement. people think that because they exist, they deserve a good stimulating job with good pay, regardless of if they are educated or not. Fact is, if you have no education, then tough titties.
    It's a sense of entitlement indeed. Educated people think they're entitled to shit just because they're educated.

What matters is what you can do, and how well you can do it. Your diploma is a piece of paper. You can use it as kindling or wipe your ass with it but that's about it. A diploma, a CV and such used to get your foot in the door, but these days companies have realized that if you want to find good people you can't trust the pieces of paper they hand out.

As for the woman not wanting to take a custodial job, it's not quite as black as white as her going "eww that's gross", assuming the OP's story is even real, and not pulled out of his ass. Cleaning actually requires some skill as well. At least here in Finland the people working in the cleaning industry actually study to become cleaners. It's also often extremely taxing work. If this woman is already working a part time job, and raising a child on top of that, it's doubtful she could handle a full time job on top of all of that. She also can't exactly quit her old jobs, which she by now knows how to do, just to take a chance at this new job she's got no experience in. She would obviously have a trial period, during or after which she can be fired if she doesn't cut it.

I'm also thinking each and every one of you complaining about her not taking a cleaning job has never been anywhere near a cleaning job yourselves. Easy to complain when you've got no clue about what it's all about.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Interception View Post
    I have a 30 year old female friend who has a six year old son. They collect a little bit of welfare and she does work 2 part-time jobs
    but is able to afford a modest apartment and there is always food on the table. She admits that she is making only $9.50/hour and getting part time hours but would like to do more for herself and her son but doesn't have enough money.

Two days ago a job offer opened up in my company as a Custodian. It was a Full-Time position that paid $137/day or around $17/hour for an 8 hour day. Up to 4 hours of OT is allowed per day and OT Pay is added in after 8 hours. The responsibilities would involve garbage pickup, mopping, bathroom cleaning and restoring toilet paper/paper towels to their appropriate dispensers. Figuring this would be a job opportunity to help her get the money and hours she desperately wanted I passed the application website onto her.

She responded with: "I'm not cleaning up after other people that's gross!"

The question I have is...Are there really that many people who would turn their nose up at a job that pays double their current job plus gives the full time hours just because they think they're above custodial work?
    17$x8h /day = 136$
    136x22(?) working days= 2992$/month
    that's without OT, which is paid double. I dunno what taxes you dudes have in the US, but let's say it's 35%? that's 2k$/month. That's more than I make, and it's not a very demanding job imo. Sure, it's not the cleanest job in the world, but it's not that bad.
    I know you can't compare wages without comparing cost of living, imo she seems a lazy/picky person. That to me translates into arrogance.
    Are they still hiring? is it in the US? i'd want that job.

10+ Year Old Account
    For the small group of people who have bothered to post without reading the previous posts I made. The woman is currently working 2 part time jobs that give her 25-30 hours a week combined. She's making $9.50/hour from both jobs. Both jobs are retail but both currently work around the others schedule for her. She receives a WIC card and some other government assistance as well.

Here was the original link of the Job Posting that I posted earlier in this thread:

https://up.jobs/fulljobdescription.h...icago&state=IL

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    This is a perfect example of a lot of problems in America.

2. We have poor people who could be getting paid more, but would rather take money from the government.
    As a tax preparer, I get questions about this a lot. People call wanting to know thresholds so they can stop working to get maximum EIC.

It really makes me sick most of the time.

I really have trouble believing this as no person in their right mind would turn that down because it is "Gross" in the situation they are in. I can see them turning it down due to unworkable hours with family, or work conditions being more physical than they can handle with it being working outside, according to the description, in Chicago weather (currently 16 degrees according to online weather) but not due to pay.

Most people would give up their old job and jump at a chance for that kind of a pay increase. Myself included if I could still work. Were I live, we have people with college degrees making less than that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    As a tax preparer, I get questions about this a lot. People call wanting to know thresholds so they can stop working to get maximum EIC.

It really makes me sick most of the time.
    Figured that, when I first got hurt, I was in basic for the army and even in there, they had a lot of fakers and they thought I was one of them and just tried to push me along. Wasn't till 22 months later when I finally forced them to look at me with an MRI did they see my bottom disc in my spine is crushed in half and hitting a nerve. Applying for disability myself as I have proof and can't work anymore (been getting worse and worse the entire time they had me waiting and continue to make me wait) until they fix me if they can but still going have to fight for it. I still get them looks every so often though due to my age, really does suck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnolp View Post
    $17 an hour? That's pretty damn good for cleaning bathrooms.
    That's a lot more than my data entry job. Damn, give me some gloves and sign me up!

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd take the better paying job and ditch the other jobs. That's what I'd do. Maybe pay for a sitter if not enough time for the baby. Or ask for help from the family.
    There's ways to solve stuff, if you really want to solve them. More money is generally a good thing, if getting said money does not involve anything illegal.
    Edit:
    She's supposedly cleaning her baby is she not? That involves some gross stuff too.
    Last edited by Korrawi; 2014-01-17 at 02:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    3. "The poor get poorer and the rich get richer." Yeah, because the rich are willing to work harder (or, in this smaller scale case, simply work). How much do you want to bet that the lady in the OP's comment agrees with this quote?
    Not a single one of the multi-millionares my law firm works with got there by "working hard" cleaning bathrooms.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    3. "The poor get poorer and the rich get richer." Yeah, because the rich are willing to work harder (or, in this smaller scale case, simply work). How much do you want to bet that the lady in the OP's comment agrees with this quote?
    So what you're saying is that, if a CEO was offered a salary equal to his +1$ for mopping floors and cleaning toilets and sorting garbage, they'd do it? I doubt that!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    So what you're saying is that, if a CEO was offered a salary equal to his +1$ for mopping floors and cleaning toilets and sorting garbage, they'd do it? I doubt that!
    What you don't seem to understand is that rich people and educated people are better human beings, and thus they don't have to take just any job. Poor people are worthless, and they are required to take any job they can get.

Clearly.

Grossness as a cleaner is completely based on the starting level of "filth" when it comes to cleaning up. If it's a cluster of dive bars... HAHA. If it's a white collar office building, whatever most people's homes are worse.

The real question is WHAT hours does the janitorial company want her to work. If its the 8 hours immediately after school ends... and she's got a 6 year old... forget that.

10+ Year Old Account
    (Just read up to page 3, but).

$17 / hr is very good for cleaning jobs. I was housekeeper in a hospital for several years and made $11/hr without benefits. And my job involved quick response cleanups, like explosive diarrhea, blood, urine and vomit. Not the best job one could have, but I took pride in it, because I did a very crucial job.
    If the mentioned job would have been in my area, I would jump at it like a hungry spider.
    "Reality: The refuge of those who fail in RPGs"
    ~Though this be madness, yet there is method in't~

For twice my pay, I'd pick up anything from anyone, stick anything up anyone's anything, at any hours of the week. And I would do it with a smile. I'm service minded like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    If you're a CEO you have the luxury of choice. If you're poor, you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Interception View Post
    I have a 30 year old female friend who has a six year old son. They collect a little bit of welfare and she does work 2 part-time jobs
    but is able to afford a modest apartment and there is always food on the table. She admits that she is making only $9.50/hour and getting part time hours but would like to do more for herself and her son but doesn't have enough money.

Two days ago a job offer opened up in my company as a Custodian. It was a Full-Time position that paid $137/day or around $17/hour for an 8 hour day. Up to 4 hours of OT is allowed per day and OT Pay is added in after 8 hours. The responsibilities would involve garbage pickup, mopping, bathroom cleaning and restoring toilet paper/paper towels to their appropriate dispensers. Figuring this would be a job opportunity to help her get the money and hours she desperately wanted I passed the application website onto her.

She responded with: "I'm not cleaning up after other people that's gross!"

The question I have is...Are there really that many people who would turn their nose up at a job that pays double their current job plus gives the full time hours just because they think they're above custodial work?

Where do you live? and is the job still open? lol

I would have no issues with that job unless people shit all over the place.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lokithor View Post
    Where do you live? and is the job still open? lol

I would have no issues with that job unless people shit all over the place.
    It happens, but I'd say it's rare in the modern age. I know people used to be animals (and sometimes still are) but usually people are cleaner now. Depends from place to place though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    I understand why somebody wouldn't take a job where I have to work in retail, work with kids, or a job that involves having to having to clean up shit/puke, not matter what it pays.

But then again, I don't have a kid or anybody else I need to support.

Deleted
    yes she's taking welfare,so she should take the job...BUT...
    Why would you care with your life about the taxpayer's money when the government itself doesn't?the government sells itself out to corporations and rich people and shits all over the middleclass and does whatever they feel like with the taxpayer's money.
    If that's how the world works,there's no incentive to respect welfare,and I don't blame her for not giving a shit and sparring herself from a depressing job.

No, what's really funny is when all these people who find cleaning "gross" start complaining about illegal immigration. It totally cracks me up.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

10+ Year Old Account
    Funny, I am sitting at the U.P. office in Tucson as I type this and the bathroom is very clean no shit,blood,or used condoms anywhere,
    you can't make this shit up
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Third-wave feminism or Choice feminism is actually extremely egalitarian
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I hate America
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I don't read/watch any of these but to rank them:Actual news agency (mostly factual):CNN MSNBC NPR