The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Why is MLK day a day where educational institutions don't operate?

IMO, Education Not functioning in remenberence of his legacy on monday isn't right.

MLK Jr fought racial injustice so anyone could fight to pursue happiness and a stable life.

Currently, it shows that college/education is a great way to achieve just that.

So why temporarily halt a process in recgointion of someone who died so I could have the option in partaking it? Wouldn't educational institutions functioning on that day recognize his legacy more then not functioning? It's not like a lot of people take time to recognize his legacy on his birthday other then watch a documentary or something.
    Last edited by THE Bigzoman; 2014-01-16 at 07:44 PM.

Deleted
    Because its a Holiday its for celebration/memorial/binge drinking.

15+ Year Old Account
    Black people would prefer to have a day off.

Contribute constructively
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2014-01-16 at 08:37 PM.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

10+ Year Old Account
    its not a question of whether people do or do not take time to remember, but that the option is there. life is about options and choices. stop trying to force people to have no option.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because not giving holidays off during school isn't great. You can only put so many full weeks back to back with little to no end in sight before students start tuning out, or just plain not show up.

Having a few 1 day holidays spread around is a good thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    its not a question of whether people do or do not take time to remember, but that the option is there. life is about options and choices. stop trying to force people to have no option.
    Beyond educational institutions (and i'm assuming some public sector areas as well), a lot of people really don't have the opition. People still have to go to work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shoot, it's really just an excuse to have a day off. Kind of a kick in the nuts to such a great man.

I'm sure there are plenty of memorial's you can attend to commemorate this achievements and his greatness though.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Because it's a federal holiday and all federal employees take it off. Kids should be in school on thanksgiving also so they can be thankful for having a education.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommys View Post
    Because it's a federal holiday and all federal employees take it off. Kids should be in school on thanksgiving also so they can be thankful for having a education.
    Wait... there's a Thanksgiving holiday? At the college I'm at, we had like... 1 day off, and that's because the teachers didn't feel like cominso they just cancelled classes... Also what are Fall/Spring breaks...

10+ Year Old Account
    Because its a Federal holiday.

Because it's a day to remember the man that helped move the country beyond racial lines, for everyone.

Why do people only see MLK as just a black thing. He was for the equality of all.

Also a lot of cities hold MLK parades and events. Just because you just see it as another day off doesn't mean that other people dont do something on the day

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd argue that the federal focus on it makes people remember the idea more than just making it another regular day.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigzoman20 View Post
    Beyond educational institutions (and i'm assuming some public sector areas as well), a lot of people really don't have the opition. People still have to go to work.
    Boohoo, I have to go to work but these kids get free time to be kids :'(
    crybaby...

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post

Because it's a day to remember the man that helped move the country beyond racial lines, for everyone.

Why do people only see MLK as just a black thing. He was for the equality of all.

Also a lot of cities hold MLK parades and events. Just because you just see it as another day off doesn't mean that other people dont do something on the day
    Because some people see it as a zero sum game.

The Civil Rights movement brought everybody up to the same level supposedly, however that level was already populated by a bunch of people who saw "equality" as taking "superiority" away from them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post

And what better way to remember it then kids being sent to desegregated classes?

Or in my own perspective, continue my journey through UNI?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I'd argue that the federal focus on it makes people remember the idea more than just making it another regular day.
    Fair enough.