Raid lockout clarity

I've played WoW since late BC and it seems every xpac has different rules on how raid lockouts work and frankly, I'm confused as hell when I try and think about how they all work.

Example: Every week I have a friend who holds two lockouts for me. One is a 1/2 To4W lockout (boss killed on 10, then I clear Al'akir on 25 each week solo) and 11/14 Ulduar lockout (I go in, kill General and then kill Yogg-0 25).

Now, that stuff I can kinda understand as there are no "heroic" settings messing with anything. However, this week my guild extended our 25H SoO lock from the previous week in order to work on 25H Siegecrafter. Do we get saved on a kill or do we get saved on the attempt?

I also I want to know, can I go and do 7/8 bosses in Dragon Soul (normal) to save the lock each week (like I do with Uld and To4W) so I can work on farming my 10m Madness mount? If I go with a group and leave at 7/8 normal do I get my own version of the lock or is it reset if they complete it when I'm not there?

All these crazy rules! Please help!

If you enter a heroic instance with any bosses dead, you immediately get a prompt when you walk in, and you have 60 seconds to click "accept" and get saved for the week, or get ported out. No attempts or kills are necessary.

If for example you want to kill normal bosses for that week before you walk into heroic, you can. You cannot kill even one heroic boss, on 10 or 25, or you will not be able to walk in. You also cannot kill Siegecrafter normal.

In normal mode, you are not saved unless you are there for a boss kill.
    Last edited by Daerio; 2014-01-17 at 01:41 AM.

Thank you.