Thread: New PC Build

New PC Build

I'm looking to build a new PC (my first) within the next week and a half or so. I've never done anything like this and as far as whats inside the actual computer goes I'm pretty clueless, so any technical questions are most likely going to be falling on deaf ears. I'm also not entirely sure how quickly prices for these things will change, but if anything is likely to change in that time frame please mention.

1. Budget: $1200, give or take a little.
    2. Resolution: Subject to change, need new monitor(s).
    3. Games / Settings Desired: Ideally I'd like to be able to play WoW on Ultra. I'd also like to be able to play games like GW2, Skyrim, LOTRO, Diablo, The Sims, etc. reasonably well.
    4. Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc): I don't currently do anything of this nature but I will most likely be within the next year, so a build accommodating for that would be a plus.
    5. Country: U.S. (Ohio specifically)
    6. Parts that can be reused: None
    7. Do you need an OS: No, I'll be purchasing Windows 8 from my college at an extremely discounted price.
    8. Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc): I won't be needing a mouse, keyboard, or headphones.

I will be needing to purchase monitor(s) (I'd prefer at least a dual setup) and speakers, so any suggestions would be appreciated but these are not to be included in the budget. The budget is strictly for the tower, and everything that goes inside of it.

Also, not that important and not even sure how realistic it is, but a white computer would be amazing - so any suggestions in that area would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Here you go:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($225.99 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($20.69 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Asus Z87-C ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Microcenter)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($72.25 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ Staples)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($142.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($382.50 @ B&H)
    Case: Thermaltake Commander MS/I Snow Edition (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.31 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1233.68
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-17 05:10 EST-0500)

I chose TX3 specifically for someone who has no experience, as I consider 212EVO to be on advanced level of installation.
    Not sure what you ment with "white PC" did you mean white case like the one I picked?
    This goes abit over your budget, to knock it down you would need to get lower R9 270x
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sapphir...ard-112170120g
    knocking down price by around 160$
    Or you could also swap out the 2TB for 1TB.
    For dual monitors the 280x would be better.

Edit: oops ram not listed >.> fixed it :O
    Last edited by Cyrops; 2014-01-17 at 10:19 AM.
    PM me weird stuff :3

Deleted
    pretty much what i would go for:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($225.99 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.99 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: GeIL EVO Veloce Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($169.99 @ B&H)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($359.99 @ B&H)
    Case: Fractal Design Core 3000 USB 3.0 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ Microcenter)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-118BB DVD/CD Drive ($13.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1197.89
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-17 06:13 EST-0500)

I chose TX3 specifically for someone who has no experience, as I consider 212EVO to be on advanced level of installation.
    Is that something that would be better overall in terms of performance and longevity? As I do have two very experienced PC builders that I could go to if necessary.

Not sure what you ment with "white PC" did you mean white case like the one I picked?
    Yeah, sorry - White case

Just to make sure I'm understanding this correctly: If I go to the PCPartPicker part list - any of those other parts listed are also compatible with the overall build?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nightymare View Post
    Is that something that would be better overall in terms of performance and longevity? As I do have two very experienced PC builders that I could go to if necessary.
    Hyper 212EVO is considered one of the best valued coolers at roughly $30-$35. If you plan to overclocked the CPU a decent amount, a decent cooler is a good investment. And don't be scared, it's not an advanced installation by any means.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing

Apparently I can't post links but is this what you're referring to?

Assuming I go with Cyrops build, can I swap the TX3 for the Hyper 212EVO and the case for this - BitFenix Colossus Window (White) ATX Full Tower - without issue?

Edit: Maybe this is a stupid question, but is it worth upgrading from the i5-4670k 3.4ghz processor (Cyrops posted) to the i7-4770k 3.5ghz?

Assuming that build would work (and I apologize for not being able to post links, I know its probably a pain trying to find these things) and its worth it to upgrade from the i5 to i7, are there any other 'easy' albeit significant upgrades I could make to the build? Say, coming in at maybe an additional 100$ for any given part?

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing?

Any other suggestions/info would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by nightymare; 2014-01-17 at 09:34 PM.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing

Apparently I can't post links but is this what you're referring to?

Assuming I go with Cyrops build, can I swap the TX3 for the Hyper 212EVO and the case for this - BitFenix Colossus Window (White) ATX Full Tower - without issue?

Edit: Maybe this is a stupid question, but is it worth upgrading from the i5-4670k 3.4ghz processor (Cyrops posted) to the i7-4770k 3.5ghz?

Assuming that build would work (and I apologize for not being able to post links, I know its probably a pain trying to find these things) and its worth it to upgrade from the i5 to i7, are there any other 'easy' albeit significant upgrades I could make to the build? Say, coming in at maybe an additional 100$ for any given part?

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing?

Yes thats the one they are talking about, and yes it is very much worth putting in the build. On the case, yes it should be fine with that build if that is what you prefer. On the question of the processor, if you intend to occasionally do 3D modeling and CAD with it, the i5 will be fine. If you want to do it professionally, however, the i7 would be the better investment because the hyperthreading technology will allow you to do your work faster and more precise. If you intend to use AutoCad 2013 they will be about equal because it doesn't take advantage of hyperthreading anyway. I wondered the same thing when I built my rig, and this was the conclusion I came to from reading several forums, including tomshardware. I hope this helped.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing?

If you have someone with experience to help you, then you can get the evo212, the one you tried to link, there is no other 'evo212'
    The only noticeable upgrade is i7-4770k, but you will not see big improvement on performance in current games.
    For next gen games that will come out in the upcoming years, more cores will do better, because new gen consoles come with 8 core CPU, so developers will be able to take advantage of more cores. i5 like old gen consoles is 4 core, and i7 is 8 core due to hyperthreading.
    You could get a liquid cooling for your CPU, which will allow you to overclock more.

On the BitFenix Colossus, it's 24cm width and 212evo is 16cm tall so you will have plenty of room.
    Last edited by Cyrops; 2014-01-20 at 02:52 PM.
    PM me weird stuff :3