Page 1 of 19
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1
    Herald of the Titans TheEaterofSouls's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Location
    Posts
    2,637

    Why Is A Free 90 A Bad Thing To Some?

    I don't seem to understand it when people on the forums try to explain that selling a level 90 is a bad thing. How is it anyway? Think about this. The game has 5 expansions, 6 stages of content to level through on WoD, and that can be quite intimidating to a new player. Furthermore how is this "pay-to-win"? You still have to complete current content. And if you were dumb enough to skip the learning process of the game you'll have to just keep yourself stuck in "tourist mode" as blizzard is calling it now. Selling armor seems to be a worry but NO MMO currently on the market is doing it. And besides they removed the D3 AH why bring back the "pay-to-win"? Especially for a subscription MMO.

    Bottom line: Why is a free 90 a bad thing? Why are you all freaking out about it? I want to explore this as a specific topic. Since just talking about it in a separate thread will devolve away from my main question. Is all of this just a shock to the system and people are just scared?

  2. #2
    Because the game is multi-player. Meaning other's skills in their class affect you.

    No - I'm not an elitist, but I'd like people to at least have to TRY their best in their class, not PAY their best.

  3. #3
    The Lightbringer TEHPALLYTANK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Texas(I wish it were CO)
    Posts
    3,292
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Because the game is multi-player. Meaning other's skills in their class affect you.

    No - I'm not an elitist, but I'd like people to at least have to TRY their best in their class, not PAY their best.
    Getting a character to level 90 requires nowhere near decent skill level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Getting a character to level 90 requires nowhere near decent skill level.
    Correct - it requires SOME knowledge of the class. It requires the person play it for a few days (or weeks or what ever).

  5. #5
    Herald of the Titans TheEaterofSouls's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Location
    Posts
    2,637
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Because the game is multi-player. Meaning other's skills in their class affect you.

    No - I'm not an elitist, but I'd like people to at least have to TRY their best in their class, not PAY their best.
    I'm spamming DPS/healing/coolingdown spells in lvl dungeons. I go do that in LFR and i'm low on the meters. Go do it in flex, I'm kicked from the group.

    Also if you can't do that probably can't level in WoD at all.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    Also if you can't do that probably can't level in WoD at all.
    I've experienced 'ebay' characters (when they used to be easy to get) - people could do the basic 3 or 4 things, but had no idea how to dispel, cc, shield or any of the other things you learn ONE at a time as you level up from 1.

  7. #7
    Lots of people start to bitch about this being pay to win the moment you can buy anything. They said the pot that gives you bonus xp is pay to win. I have heard people say that that the recruit a friend system is pay to win because it levels you artificially. So the simple fact is that anything that someone has had to do before being done with out of game money will make them claim it is pay to win.

    The big problem that most people has is that they assume leveling from 1-90 will "teach" people how to play there class. That people will learn the class and not be total noob morons. The simple fact is there is nothing to support this idea because morons continue to be morons no matter what they do. There is very little in leveling from 1-anything that teaches people how to play there class. Mobs you single target don't have enough hp to work on rotations and even if they might you don't have all your skills to learn anyway. Dungeons are nothing but an AE race where bosses die so fast everyone ignores 99% of the mechanics. If people learned to play while leveling LFR wouldn't be the pain it is because it sucked on the first tier of Mop, it sucked in the second tier of Mop and continues to suck with people who are stupid in the current tier.

  8. #8
    1)It represents a path towards what many fear is pay-to-win in other game aspects.
    2)They see someone with an insta-90 as an automatic bad and detriment to any group content, a'la the influx of Death Knights to the BC content straight from their starting experience.
    3)They didn't 'earn' their levels the way other players did. Doesn't matter if they play spectacularly on their new 90. They didn't 'earn' it.

    So in summary, it's bad for the game, bad for the community, and it's something else to thumb your nose at other people for.

    Note the above are not my personal views, just a summary of what I see the top 3 arguments against it being.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    I've experienced 'ebay' characters (when they used to be easy to get) - people could do the basic 3 or 4 things, but had no idea how to dispel, cc, shield or any of the other things you learn ONE at a time as you level up from 1.
    When do you learn to dispel while leveling? When you don't get dispel till your are in your 20s and then never use it because it doesn't matter? World trash mobs don't put out debuffs and if they do you don't need to dispel or deal with them you just keep killing.

  10. #10
    Herald of the Titans TheEaterofSouls's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Location
    Posts
    2,637
    Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    1)It represents a path towards what many fear is pay-to-win in other game aspects.
    2)They see someone with an insta-90 as an automatic bad and detriment to any group content, a'la the influx of Death Knights to the BC content straight from their starting experience.
    3)They didn't 'earn' their levels the way other players did. Doesn't matter if they play spectacularly on their new 90. They didn't 'earn' it.

    So in summary, it's bad for the game, bad for the community, and it's something else to thumb your nose at other people for.

    Note the above are not my personal views, just a summary of what I see the top 3 arguments against it being.
    I can understand the sense of accomplishment those 90 lvls bring. Working hard on a 90 myself. But that's about the only issue I see.

  11. #11
    It's just levels, who gives a shit if you think the leveling is part of the experience. When you have a game out this long then the experience of leveling is just dead. All you do is with that many expansion packs out is play the catch up game. Realistically speaking when you play a new xpac it's a new game anyway so leveling 90-100 will be the same shit. They will experience the leveling hell either way. It's a brilliant idea and people who still play the game for so long will find great use and opportunity for that free 90. Myself for example will now have all my friends who quit ding to 90 and level to 100 with me and start our own guild like we had 4 years ago and that's just one of the best gifts we can have at our age now.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    I've experienced 'ebay' characters (when they used to be easy to get) - people could do the basic 3 or 4 things, but had no idea how to dispel, cc, shield or any of the other things you learn ONE at a time as you level up from 1.
    hahahaha

    You think you learn that from leveling 1-90?

    OT: Haters love to hate, EVERY single thing blizzard does will be hated on and people will moan and bitch about it, I don't think I have seen a single announcement that people have not moaned and bitched about.

    I remember when they announced everyone could play ever race regardless of if you owned the expansion or not (Goblins, Worgens etc) and people complained about that.
    Last edited by Quilzar; 2014-01-17 at 08:12 AM.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokrath View Post
    When do you learn to dispel while leveling? When you don't get dispel till your are in your 20s and then never use it because it doesn't matter? World trash mobs don't put out debuffs and if they do you don't need to dispel or deal with them you just keep killing.
    You learn that it exists... that's the point. When I leveled I used Polymorph and Counterspell.

    I mean - imagine a level 90 mage that didn't know about Ice block ... or any armours.

    What they could do is have a DK style starting system per class - to take you through a quest that you use all of your abilities.

  14. #14
    1 Free 90 = fine.
    Pay to get multiple 90s = not fine.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Correct - it requires SOME knowledge of the class. It requires the person play it for a few days (or weeks or what ever).
    You mean like the three to four hour area specifically designed to teach you that class? Or do you mean like the "wah I've been playing for a long time and I wanna feel special" kind?

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    You learn that it exists... that's the point. When I leveled I used Polymorph and Counterspell.
    Great so as long as the first quest you get after leveling to 90 is "Open your spell book" Then Cast each spell once. You get about the same level of exposure to them as you get when leveling.

    That is about all most people get today. New button on your bar. Try it once. If it is good keep it there otherwise remove it and forget about it.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    You learn that it exists... that's the point. When I leveled I used Polymorph and Counterspell.

    I mean - imagine a level 90 mage that didn't know about Ice block ... or any armours.

    What they could do is have a DK style starting system per class - to take you through a quest that you use all of your abilities.
    What utter total BS.

    You learn it exists by opening your spell book.

    You can level a mage from 1-90 by just spamming Frostbolt if you want to.

    Also I might buy your argument if they game was 3 months old hint: it is not it is almost 10 years old.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolkien View Post
    1 Free 90 = fine.
    Pay to get multiple 90s = not fine.
    I guess I don't see why it matters? Blizzard killed almost any reason to have alts this xpec. With all the rep grind and what not there isn't much point to having alts. So if people want to buy it how does that hurt?

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    Bottom line: Why is a free 90 a bad thing? Why are you all freaking out about it? I want to explore this as a specific topic. Since just talking about it in a separate thread will devolve away from my main question. Is all of this just a shock to the system and people are just scared?
    A free 90 would be great but PAYING for a 90 is NOT FREE. People say this is pay to win because it gives people who spend more money an unfair advantage. Hence instead of playing to win they are paying to win.

    I'm all for easy lvl 90 alts IF it is a reward for gameplay (in game achievements or currency)

  20. #20
    Mechagnome Erathus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Maelstrom.
    Posts
    505
    Guys lets be honest here. With the release of WoD the maximum level is going to reach the number 100. Starting from level 1 to reach that roof is a bit overwhelming and discouraging for most and especially for the newcomers. This was bound to happen sooner or later.

    I currently have all classes level 90, except a priest, and i was trying to start anew on an Alliance PvP server. I could certainly use that option if i could to make things easier as far as time investment is concerned.

    For players like me, who play since 2007, leveling has nothing to offer, at all.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •