Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

International & Incomprehensible

So I have a new idea for a discussion topic. It's a little game (ok, not really a game).

1) Name what state and/or country you were born in
    2) Name what state and/or country you currently live in
    3) Name one thing you love most about your country
    4) Name one thing you hate most about your country
    5) State what you think the top qualities of a good society are
    6) Tell the poster above you which country you think they should live in and why

-

Ok so here is me:

1) Pennsylvania, USA
    2) South Carolina, USA
    3) Simplicity to travel and trade among each state (Eisenhower Interstate System)
    4) Corporatism/Gerrymandering has come to define the USA
    5) Strive to constantly learn, no corporatism, pride in cleanliness and efficiency, no prejudices, little government involvement
    6) n/a, I'm the first poster

Deleted
    1) Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    2) Hovedstaden ('Capital Region' in English), Denmark
    3) Scotland: That we seem to be quite liked. Denmark: Fantastic friendly people for the most part.
    4) Scotland: (Also the UK) That A LOT of the population looks very down towards foreigners and immigrants. Denmark: Horrible drivers and stupid driving laws (at least in comparison to the UK)
    5) Interaction, compensation, understanding, empathy, tolerance.
    6) I'm just gonna say Iceland because I myself am dying to visit it one day, seems like a fantastic place, dunno if I'd want to live there myself but I dunno what else to say.

1) North Jutland, Denmark
    2) Middle of Jutland, Denmark
    3) Everything is free and a great security net. You will never starve, you will never have any problems that the state wont help you with. And even a homeless man can get a PhD is he wishes to.
    4) Everything is so damn expensive compared to other countries :/
    5) Everyone is born even, and everyone got the same opportunity to be successful even without money or influence. A society that will put the hand under everyone. In one word: Empathy.
    6) Just stay where you are mate, you are good.

Deleted
    Next poster just skip me

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    4) Everything is so damn expensive compared to other countries :/
    6) Just stay where you are mate, you are good.
    I second that, when you're paying £1.50 for a Sausage Roll (poelsehorn) when it costs £0.50 in the UK it's outrageous...
    And I will do ^^ Hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Craakar View Post
    Next poster just skip me

I second that, when you're paying £1.50 for a Sausage Roll (poelsehorn) when it costs £0.50 in the UK it's outrageous...
    And I will do ^^ Hehe
    Skip me also.

And yeah, damn expensive. Computer parts are also expensive as fuck.

1) Athens, Greece
    2) Chios, Greece
    3) Natural beauty (which in turn leads to great vacation destinations)
    4) Current economical crisis
    5) Absolute personal freedom, unhindered by materialistic needs or social norms.
    6) I think you are in a good place

1) New York, USA
    2) Maryland, USA
    3) Low cost of living/high median income resulting in high standard of living
    4) Lack of a coherent healthcare system
    5) Economic freedom, high standard of living, secular, good social safety net, strong science programs
    6) Hmmmm... man, that absolute personal freedom without social norms is a tough thing to come by. Perhaps Canada? Freedom there is pretty fantastic, there's lots of good opportunities, and if you're a bit weird relative to social norms, the people are still pretty nice to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    1) England (lived in various places in the South of England)
    2) The Netherlands
    3) England - the social security net and the NHS. People in England bitch about the NHS but they really don't know how fortunate they are to have it.
    The Netherlands - Beautiful, well maintained cities, tolerant attitude of the citizens (at least any of the Dutch people I have encountered).
    4) England - The seemingly increasing intolerant attitudes towards immigrants. Some people unthinkingly swallow propoganda and blame foreigners for all their woes.
    The Netherlands - The bureaucracy.
    5) Social tolerance, welfare/social safety net systems, government supported healthcare system, decent education system and access to university without prohobitive tuition fees.
    6) Spectral - hmmm... Maybe Sweden? It ticks the high standard of living, secular and social safety net boxes, at least.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Deleted
    1) The Netherlands, I was born in Utrecht but raised in Friesland
    2) The Netherlands, Groningen
    3) Our natural feelings of "Meh whatever" allowing for a great deal of tolerance and individualism
    4) Aforementioned individualism turning into a feeling of being entitled to everything while having absolutely no regard for other people.
    5) A stable and healthy political system and government, a social security system which only helps those who deserve the help(No free money for beerdrinking couch sitters), a solid education system accessible to all those who have the will and intelligence to use it.
    6) You sound like you enjoy it here so I would advise you to stay, just try not to be too surprised when you discover how terrible Dutch people can be.

1) Winchester, England
    2) Cardiff, Wales
    3) People smile back
    4) Small town syndrome
    5) Disciprin
    6) Move to South Korea. The education available there is (almost) unparallelled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

15+ Year Old Account
    1) Vienna, Austria
    2) Vienna, Austria
    3) the freedom, the safety, the hanging loose times, the vast beauty of nature and old buildings, and the "meh" attitude to most things
    4) intolerence from politicians and close minded regarding new ideas
    5) empathy, helping those in need, form equal possibilities, educate and advance
    6) not enough information, probably move within wales to a bigger city
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted
    Looks like another NSA agent to me. Wouldn't be the first one on these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by sydänyö View Post
    looks like another nsa agent to me. Wouldn't be the first one on these forums.
    He is on to us guys! Abandon mission!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Looks like another NSA agent to me. Wouldn't be the first one on these forums.
    Haha, not at all. Unless months and months of me posting frost mage stuff on the mage forums was just the creation of a solid cover. I'm just a world traveler and am fascinated by incorporating the opinions of others into my own thoughts. I always felt I fit more with German or Norwegian cultures far more than American.

Quote Originally Posted by Akraen View Post
    Haha, not at all. Unless months and months of me posting frost mage stuff on the mage forums was just the creation of a solid cover. I'm just a world traveler and am fascinated by incorporating the opinions of others into my own thoughts. I always felt I fit more with German or Norwegian cultures far more than American.
    It is too late, he knows too much already. We must send the Annihilator drones.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    It is too late, he knows too much already. We must send the Annihilator drones.
    Must be a new model. I thought you guys were using Avengers and Reapers.

1) Pennsylvania, USA
    2) Pennsylvania, USA
    3) Provides (or used to) one of the best opportunities to do whatever I want with life
    4) The government
    5) Hard working individuals; independent thinkers; those that help others just to help them; scientific advances that better the community as a whole.
    6) The posters above me are being humorous; I'd say "live anywhere that the NSA cannot reach you"...but they've got their keystrokes in everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    1) Nord-Trøndelag, Norway.
    2) Aust-Agder, Norway.
    3) The nature and the history
    4) The slow progress with expanding infrastructure and poor standard of our hospitals and schools, despite our wealth.
    5) Good education, social security, stable goovernment and so on.
    6) Off to Argentina with you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Germany might be a cool place for you to go, they are doing pretty well.
    Goddammit, knew I should have learned German!

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Germany
    2. Portland Maine, USA
    3. Western civilization, technology and liberties
    4. The deeprooted conservatism
    5. A society that cares for the well being of all of its members.
    6. I dunno, Canada?
    Putin khuliyo