Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Question Addon to align UI elements

Hey guys,

I wanted to ask if any of you know an addon to align parts of the UI.
    Specifically I'm looking for something to set an anchor along with x and y coordinates for pretty much anything on the screen, maybe even resizing things.

I already use Align as a guideline, but for some addons like chatter or SuF there don't seem to be any options for positioning apart from dragging it around so it lacks precision.

Any help is appreciated, thanks

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think MoveAnything gives you coordinates for every frame you want to move, that way you can just align them by X/Y together and precisely.
    Retired in WoD

Deleted
    MoveAnything could be nice with the standard UI, but there are no options I can find to move things like grid around :-/
    and there is nothing left from the standard UI left with mine to begin with ^^

Deleted
    download the addon align, you can drag your unit frames etc on to the grids. easy.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    He mentioned using that addon in his post
    Retired in WoD

Wouldn't /fstack give you coordinates of frames you hover over?

Deleted
    /fstack? Is this an addon or a built in console command?

Quote Originally Posted by Zippoo View Post
    /fstack? Is this an addon or a built in console command?
    That is built in.
    It displays an on-screen tooltip giving information about any frames located under the mouse cursor.
    Shortened version of /framestack.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Deleted
    Is it also possible to alter a frames position with this or could you just use it to check the current coordinates?

No, it is informative only.
    An addon like MoveAnything can offer moving functionality, but for addons you are best using their own movement features should there be any present.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Deleted
    I've always used eAlign. the command in-game to bring up the grid is "/align".

ElvUI also has a built in one when toggling anchors

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    No, it is informative only.
    An addon like MoveAnything can offer moving functionality, but for addons you are best using their own movement features should there be any present.

That is pretty much my core problem. With things like sexymap, chatter and grid there don't seem to be any configutations for positioning.

I played arround a bit with moveanything yesterday but it didn't work out. Moveanything produces a different center on the screen than, say, weakauras.
    Last edited by mmocb0fde41e50; 2014-01-18 at 06:00 PM. Reason: autocorrect

Deleted
    If all else fails, you can position things precisely by editing your SavedVariables files. For Grid, for example, you have WTF\Account\accountname\SavedVariables\Grid.lua, and if you search for "GridLayout" in it you should be able to find the anchoring and positioning settings for the profile you're using. You have to be logged out of the game when making changes to your WTF files, though, or the changes won't be saved.

Deleted
    Ok, will try that on the next opportunity.
    Thanks a lot for all the help guys

this is a very interesting question.
    being able to actually precisely position separate addons or connect them (as in dps meter is always 10px below player unit frame) is the last piece of the puzzle before I feel comfortable with releasing my own UI. I'm using couple of custom scripts to anchor one frame to another, but having an addon that does that in bulk (and lets me change profiles for different layout would be awesome).

as far as I know there is no such addon but maybe one of our more skilled addon makers might want to write one?

to give an example:
    I am using few lines like that:

Code:
    /run local a,b=SUFUnitplayer,BT4Button25 a:ClearAllPoints() a:SetPoint("TOPRIGHT", b, "TOPLEFT", -17, 0)
    this one positions my unit frame next to bartender action bars.

if there was an addon that does those user defined rules *after* other addons load (so making sure it is trying to move both unit frame and action bars after those are painted on screen) it would be the best thing since sliced bread.

Deleted
    Yeah, i didn't want to ask for it outright, being new to posting arround here, but if someone could write something like that that would be awesome

I've been browsing the various "post your ui" threads here a lot lately and wanted to upload mine as well. Was quite intimidated by the amount of critisism like "your x is 2 px farther away from y than z" though, so I wanted to ask how to position everything perfectly

Quote Originally Posted by Zippoo View Post
    I've been browsing the various "post your ui" threads here a lot lately and wanted to upload mine as well. Was quite intimidated by the amount of critisism like "your x is 2 px farther away from y than z" though, so I wanted to ask how to position everything perfectly
    thats pretty much my own reason
    also it would make creating some wicked custom UIs that much easier

Deleted
    So i've been reading a bit, trying to get a hang on the syntax of those scripts you are using there hlx.

one question i still have: is this something you have to run everytime you log in or does it permanently change this stuff and saves it between sessions?

Unfortunately i can't log into wow till monday afternoon

sadly it is something i run everytime. I was trying to set up some kind of addon that would run those scripts for me after all other addons load (done here with the help of more educated people) but it doesn't quite work.

and thus I am back to running the macro each time I log in.

Deleted
    Might try to let the script run through weakauras?
    Some timed custom aura ten seconds after player_login?

I'm just thinking about my ui, and i'd have to set up quite a few macros just for those scripts as there are several things i have to position(sexymap, chatframes, grid, skada,...)