Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    didnt knew if you can do stuff like that in weak auras - do share if you will succeed.
    and yes I have right now 4 of those scripts (rest is handled by addons themselves having option to attach to parent frame) and ideas for more

Deleted
    I suppose you could make wa do things lke that, but will have to see wether i can make it work or not.
    otherwise i will have to use the method of setting positions by editing the saved variables.

just a few more bits of info:
    here is the thread I made a while back - has few interesting bits of code - http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...UI-is-rendered

and here is the not working code I have that ideally should anchor unit frame to the bartender
    Code:
    local fN = ...
    local f=CreateFrame("Frame")
    f:SetScript("OnEvent",function(s,e,n)
        if (e == "ADDON_LOADED") and (n == fN) then
            print("Loaded!")
            local a,b=SUFUnitplayer,BT4Button25 a:ClearAllPoints() a:SetPoint("TOPRIGHT", b, "TOPLEFT", -17, 0)
        end
    end)
    f:RegisterEvent("ADDON_LOADED")
    by not working I mean it prints out "Loaded" but the I get nil value for "a" variable - which suggests that it is running before the other addons load.

Deleted
    Add a ## Dependencies: Bartender4, WhateverTheSUFFolderIsCalled to the TOC file.

Quote Originally Posted by hlx View Post
    this is a very interesting question.
    being able to actually precisely position separate addons or connect them (as in dps meter is always 10px below player unit frame) is the last piece of the puzzle before I feel comfortable with releasing my own UI. I'm using couple of custom scripts to anchor one frame to another, but having an addon that does that in bulk (and lets me change profiles for different layout would be awesome).

as far as I know there is no such addon but maybe one of our more skilled addon makers might want to write one?

to give an example:
    I am using few lines like that:

Code:
    /run local a,b=SUFUnitplayer,BT4Button25 a:ClearAllPoints() a:SetPoint("TOPRIGHT", b, "TOPLEFT", -17, 0)
    this one positions my unit frame next to bartender action bars.

if there was an addon that does those user defined rules *after* other addons load (so making sure it is trying to move both unit frame and action bars after those are painted on screen) it would be the best thing since sliced bread.
    This can easily be done with MoveAnything 13.8.5+ just set up groups for any frame element, than you can move them together. Sadly the grouping function was kinda buggy in older versions.
    Last edited by Resike; 2014-01-19 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeston View Post
    Add a ## Dependencies: Bartender4, WhateverTheSUFFolderIsCalled to the TOC file.
    I did (like you told me to last time )
    this is what I have:
    Code:
    ## Dependencies: Bartender4, ShadowedUnitFrames
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Resike View Post
    This can easily be done with MoveAnything 13.8.5+ just set up groups for any frame element, than you can move them together. Sadly the grouping function was kinda buggy in older versions.
    Where can you find versions later than 13.8.4 ? Mine is from Jan 7th 2014 and is .4 I have looked a round and have no idea how to create groups there :/

also another use case - not sure if that changes anything but what about boss frame or raid frames? those are frames that show up under only special conditions so the solution I am looking for should cover the frames that are not visible all the time

I only uploaded 13.8.5 today, so it's still peding i guess. I can make a quick presentation how to handle the groups if you would like.

The other issue it's dependent on the frame, some frames can only be modified after it's been created. The boss frames are not like that.

I only uploaded 13.8.5 today, so it's still peding i guess. I can make a quick presentation how to handle the groups if you would like.

The other issue it's dependent on the frame, some frames can only be modified after it's been created. The boss frames are not like that.
    a quick tutorial wouild be awesome
    while boss frames might not fit my scenario how about vuhdo/grid that shows up only in certain situations (like having more than 5 people in party)? or something that I think I saw in tukUI - tooltips being positioned in the bottom right corner of the screen unless there is a bag window open, then bag would be in that bottom right corner and tooltip above it (so a frame hooked to a different frame that only sometimes shows up)

Deleted
    Ok, so i might try to update moveanything and give it another shot.

my problem with it was that when letting stuff snap to center of the screen it would be a bit off as oposed to other stuff. My example was minimap and a weakaura border. Wa has 0 x offset from center, yet my minimap ended up about 40 pixels to the left.
    Might this be fixed in newer versions?

I tried the new and improved MoveAnything. The options it has for the attaching frames to eachother is exactly what I was looking for. However and this is big however - it seems to be working only for the "original ui frames" (unless I am completely wrong). I could find a player frame and attach it to anything but I couldnt find a ShadowedUnitFrames player frame which is called "SUFUnitplayer". Using search in MoveAnything didnt show any results for "suf".

There used to be an addon called Kong - used for hiding certain parts of UI based on conditions. It had very intuitive interface for selecting which frame to modify - maybe worth adding something similar?

I always used an addon called screengrid, when working on custom UI's. Got tired of them so now I am just back to the original ui, with omnicc, bigwigs, grid and weak auras. Those are all the addons you need in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilbu View Post
    I always used an addon called screengrid, when working on custom UI's. Got tired of them so now I am just back to the original ui, with omnicc, bigwigs, grid and weak auras. Those are all the addons you need in this game.
    please don't post stuff like that. those are all addons that *you* need in game, not me or many others here.

however the point at hand is not which addons to use but how to make UI feel minimalistic (or not, depending on preference) and exactly aligned to eachother.

I tried the new and improved MoveAnything. The options it has for the attaching frames to eachother is exactly what I was looking for. However and this is big however - it seems to be working only for the "original ui frames" (unless I am completely wrong). I could find a player frame and attach it to anything but I couldnt find a ShadowedUnitFrames player frame which is called "SUFUnitplayer". Using search in MoveAnything didnt show any results for "suf".

There used to be an addon called Kong - used for hiding certain parts of UI based on conditions. It had very intuitive interface for selecting which frame to modify - maybe worth adding something similar?
    You can move any frame with the "/move framename" command then the addon is gonna add that frame into a "Custom" category if the frame is global. Or you could add a keybind to do this with the frame under your cursor, in Blizzard's Key Bindings menu at the MoveAnything part.

When you parent a frame to another frame, when you move the parent the parented children is also going to move with it.
    Last edited by Resike; 2014-01-20 at 09:26 PM.

You can move any frame with the "/move framename" command then the addon is gonna add that frame into a "Custom" category if the frame is global. Or you could add a keybind to do this with the frame under your cursor, in Blizzard's Key Bindings menu at the MoveAnything part.

When you parent a frame to another frame, when you move the parent the parented children is also going to move with it.
    came back to say that new MoveAnything together with quoted comment from Resike is absolutely what I needed. Being able to move custom frames and anchor them within a 30min of tinkering made huge improvements to my UI alignment.

Couple more tinkering session and I might be able to show my UI setup to the public.

Deleted
    came back to say that new MoveAnything together with quoted comment from Resike is absolutely what I needed. Being able to move custom frames and anchor them within a 30min of tinkering made huge improvements to my UI alignment.
    Same here, I had no idea MoveAnything had those features. You never stop to learn.

thanks a lot Resike