[PVE] Very peculiar WW weapon choice question

Hi all,

I've read on quite a few resources that weapon choice is that dual wielding is pretty much always better than a 2-hander, except in a situation where the 2-hander is 10+ or some significant ilvl above both MH and OH alternatives. You still chose dual wield even if MH is the same ilvl as the 2-hander and the OH lags 1 tier behind. (Correct me if any of this is wrong).

Here is my predicament:

Despite my lack of PVE knowledge on these things, i've managed to obtain a 566 2-hander polearm (heroic) AND a 566 1-H (heroic) + 572 1-H (heroic warforged) combo. Normally you'd easily choose the dual wielding combo since the ilvls are clearly straight up better. But here's the kicker: The heroic warforged 1-H is actually a STR tanking weapon (Haromm's Frozen Crescent to be exact) so it has no agility. The question becomes if the heroic warforged weapon topend damage + a the other real AGIL heroic weapon outweighs the proper agility the polearm gives.

The final math difference:

Wearing heroic polearm gives 1454 more agility than dualwield.
    Wearing heroic agil wep + h-warforged str wep gives the extra ilvl topend for one weapon and also another dancing steel enchant, but is also missing a bit of dps stats on the H-Warforged tanking weapon because it has parry and expertise on it.

Which weapon combo choice do I choose? Thanks for your insight!

Assuming you're at like 570+ ilvl, that Agility difference is actually very, very small. We're talking like less than 5% of your total Agility here, whereas a heroic to heroic WF weapon upgrade is 5.9% more weapon DPS already, let alone the differences between 2h and DW to begin with. I'd call the heroic WF Str weapon breaking even with a heroic Agi 1h, which would still be quite a bit better than the 2h.

Quote Originally Posted by Totaltotemic View Post
    Assuming you're at like 570+ ilvl, that Agility difference is actually very, very small. We're talking like less than 5% of your total Agility here, whereas a heroic to heroic WF weapon upgrade is 5.9% more weapon DPS already, let alone the differences between 2h and DW to begin with. I'd call the heroic WF Str weapon breaking even with a heroic Agi 1h, which would still be quite a bit better than the 2h.
    Hi and thank you for your response. I'm not 570+ average actually. I'm sitting at 555 even with these weapons. However, the 1400 or so agility the polearm gives is still around 5% of my total agility like you said. Do you still think the dual wielding would be better in this case?

Quote Originally Posted by Chodus View Post
    Hi and thank you for your response. I'm not 570+ average actually. I'm sitting at 555 even with these weapons. However, the 1400 or so agility the polearm gives is still around 5% of my total agility like you said. Do you still think the dual wielding would be better in this case?
    Oh sorry, odd to have 3 heroic weapons at that ilvl. The higher Agi from the 2h would make a bit more of a difference in that case, but I think the edge might go very slightly to the DW anyways. I can't be too certain though because there's been a lot of confusion lately surrounding what exactly it is that makes DW do more DPS so exact numbers are a little difficult to come up with.

Oh sorry, odd to have 3 heroic weapons at that ilvl. The higher Agi from the 2h would make a bit more of a difference in that case, but I think the edge might go very slightly to the DW anyways. I can't be too certain though because there's been a lot of confusion lately surrounding what exactly it is that makes DW do more DPS so exact numbers are a little difficult to come up with.
    Thank you very much for your insight! ^^

15+ Year Old Account
    Hence the reason I'm trying to get back into Rawr development and try to get exact numbers going again (though it's too late for Mist development but I will be doing baseline stuff with live data and using that for WoD development. Though right now, I'm just trying to set up something in Rawr that takes in SimC's spell data info directly and converting it into something Rawr can use.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinalover View Post
    Hence the reason I'm trying to get back into Rawr development and try to get exact numbers going again (though it's too late for Mist development but I will be doing baseline stuff with live data and using that for WoD development. Though right now, I'm just trying to set up something in Rawr that takes in SimC's spell data info directly and converting it into something Rawr can use.
    Yeah there was that other thread a week or two ago where it was narrowed down to having something to do with stats, Dancing Steel, AAs, and Tiger Strikes, but that all other ability damage was even. Unfortunately that discussion just kind of died so I'm still not sure what exactly it is that has always caused a simming difference of anywhere from 3% to 8% in DW's favor.