Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Other Class Alternatives to the 'Green Fire' Questline?

Not sure if the title would be misleading, but here goes.
    I loved the green fire event, it was both challenging & rewarding! Even now I'm proud when I log on my warlock.
    However it makes me question about the other classes.. Why should warlock's have a special snowflake cosmetic quest?

Heres some concept ideas off the top of my head:

- Death Knight: [Hellfire Questline] - Turns all your frost spells & racial mount into a fiery animation, in honor of the new lich king.
    - Druids: [Druid of the Flame Questline] - Turns your druid forms into cosmetic fire forms.

You get where I'm going with this, and not just the fire. (druid & DK had coincidence when I was brainstorming)
    I feel if every class had something challenging & special the way warlocks do, it may bring a spark back to WoW.

Mod-note: Took my freedom to change your title, think this might sound a little better. If not, do send me a PM with a fitting title as I thought the original sounds a little too off.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the title change, it does sound better XD
    Last edited by Lochton; 2014-01-18 at 12:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Naphta
    The tank is the driver, healer is the fuel. And the DPS are the kids sitting in the back crying about if they're there yet. And this is coming from a DPS.

I don't think the fire druid questline is a good idea, and I'm gonna tell you why:

ragnaros was defeated, the druids of the flame were defeated, leyara is dead, fandral is dead, the fire druids are no more. they have no more reason to be.

now, there's one threat for druids that hasn't been cleared up yet, and it's awesome. it's the emerald nightmare. malfurion defeated xavius and stopped the nightmare from spreading, but he didn't defeat the source of the nightmare, the old god n'zoth, so it's just a matter of time before the nightmare reawakens.

what I propose for durids is to have an epic questline to become a Druid of the Nightmare, a special kind of druid taken from the WoW RPG book (they aren't canon, but blizzard often takes stuff from them and adds to the game).

"A Druid of the Nightmare is a variant class of druid. Not all druids revere the Emerald Dream. A few rare and twisted individuals channel the Nightmare, a rent in the perfection of the Emerald Dream. Most of these druids of the Nightmare were once normal druids who inadvertently came in contact with the Nightmare (often while dreamwalking) and fell under its insidious influence. However, an increasing number of people have become druids of the Nightmare through their own volition. Whereas traditional druids seek a communion with nature, druids of the Nightmare become increasingly divorced from the natural order. Druids of the Nightmare transform into vermin such as monstrous scorpions or monstrous spiders instead of the animals other druids choose. Most of their abilities involve corrupting or destroying nature or warping the minds and bodies of others. At some point, the druid of the Nightmare is fully removed from nature; instead of aging as others, they develop random and unusual features (such as scales or tentacles) as they advance in years."

-Dark Factions

So, what I propose is a questline where you go into an adventure to defeat the new Nightmare Lord, and save the world from the nightmare once more. In your quest, you realize that the nightmare lord is too strong in his domains, and than you are given a moral choice: To absorb nightmare and become more powerful (and tainted) to fight the Nightmare Lord, or to try to defeat him properly regardless of the odds.

If you choose to fight properly, Cenarius will give you his blessing during the fight, and after the nightmare lord is defeated, you'll gain the Cenarion Form, that looks like a Dryad / Keeper of the Grove. It can use the other forms as Aspects ("Aspect of the Cat" instead of Cat Form, for instance), and it can wear armor.

Now if you choose to absorb nightmare, you'll be buffed by the nightmare, and after the fight is over, your druid forms will be changed for Nightmare Forms.

Cat Form -> Snake Form (because of the druids of the fang, which are a type of druids of the nightmare)
    Bear Form -> Arachnid Form (Spiders for Trolls (because Shandra) and Worgen (because Silverpine Forest), and Scorpids for Night Elves (because Fandral) and Tauren)
    Moonkin Form -> Faceless Form (because N'zoth is the origin of the nightmare)
    Travel Form -> Lizard Form
    Aquatic Form -> Anglerfish Form
    Treant Form -> Corrupted Treant Form
    Tree of Life -> Nightmare Lord (Similar to Xavius in the "Stormrage Novel", a big and Nightmarish tree)

Afterwards, if you regret your choice, you can corrupt yourself, losing the Cenarion Form, and gaining nightmare forms, or you can ask cenarius to cleanse your spirit, losing the nightmare forms, and gaining the Cenarion Form
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Paladin wings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because the warlock green fel fire has been asked and begged for since vanilla (iirc)

druid of the flame is an abomination to druids and frowned upon.

death knight "hellfire" makes zero sense. what indication is there that fire is involved?

The warlock quest was purely cosmetic to fight the lore and feel of fel magic. simple as.

It would be nice, but it should be fiting.

Warlocks had green fire always (lorewise) and in game red/yellow was just error during coding of vanilla and after that poin very hard to fix (at least that was Blizz explanation to questions why theres difference between lore and gameplay)

Flame druids were corrupt and twisted, so i dont think thats fitting.

And DK's after end of their startzone are independent from LK (old or new doesnt matter), but it could work (or not).

I'm all for it, but only IF its fitting.
    Zerel the Insane
    "That Orphanage Attacked Me!"

Deleted
    Been thinking what would be good for mages and only ideas I've gotten so far are arcane flames for fire spec and choice between water/fire/arcane/none elemental for frost spec... Hard to think of something all specs could enjoy, can't wait to see what others come up with!
    Last edited by mmoc233a5d3a18; 2014-01-18 at 01:49 PM.

Deleted
    I don't care if it's a quest or not, I want to tame one of those Litter of Xuen who cheers you on as you go through the Temple of the White Tiger dailies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuunkulta View Post
    Been thinking what would be good for mages and only ideas I've gotten so far are arcane flames for fire spec and choice between water/fire/arcane/none elemental for frost spec... Hard to think of something all specs could enjoy, can't wait to see what others come up with!
    how about a questline where you can choose to join the Timewalkers, or a similar organization created by Kalec to replace the Blue Dragonflight?

if you join the timewalkers, Your fire spells become sand colored, and casting arcane spells causes the timewalkers symbol to appear above you.

likewise, if you join the "magewalkers" (lol), your frost spells become cooler and more bluedragonflightish, and casting arcane spells cause the runes of the blue dragonfight to appear around you.

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    We can all look like a Druid of the Flame with Leyara's locket, so it's pointless. And yes, it goes against the lore to become one. All those other suggestions for druid forms are pointless and wrong within the lore, as well as some being impractical (The Orca glyph is better than the anglerfish).
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

Quote Originally Posted by The Flavour Cat View Post
    We can all look like a Druid of the Flame with Leyara's locket, so it's pointless. And yes, it goes against the lore to become one. All those other suggestions for druid forms are pointless and wrong within the lore, as well as some being impractical (The Orca glyph is better than the anglerfish).
    it's not "wrong with the lore". a nightmare druid is a type of druid. it's just not the classic type of druid. the druids of the fang, for instance, are a type of nightmare druids.

I see nothing wrong with an epic questline to choose between corrupting yourself or getting a blessing from cenarius.

I'd love to see more class-specific challenge content with aesthetic rewards. They don't necessarily need to be spell changes, how about transmog items?

I could see a difficult warrior quest rewarding transmoggable weapons.
    Or a DK quest that rewards a uniqish frostwyrm mount (think Sindragosa or Sapphiron).
    Or a rogue quest that allows them to appear shadowy while out of stealth.
    Druids could possibly unlock alternate forms for each role.
    Hunters - Unique pets similar to the ethereal porcupines in pandaria, but more of a difficult nessingwary questline + scenario.

Just some thoughts. I know blizzard only made the green fire quest because warlocks have been asking for it for ages. I think it's a great direction to go for all other classes just for personal progression.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    how about a questline where you can choose to join the Timewalkers, or a similar organization created by Kalec to replace the Blue Dragonflight?

if you join the timewalkers, Your fire spells become sand colored, and casting arcane spells causes the timewalkers symbol to appear above you.

<snip pic for space>

likewise, if you join the "magewalkers" (lol), your frost spells become cooler and more bluedragonflightish, and casting arcane spells cause the runes of the blue dragonfight to appear around you.
    That's not a bad idea!

Also, solo dungeon in Karazhan to raid Medivh's wardrobes for transmog set and Atiesh lookalike transmog staff

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    it's not "wrong with the lore". a nightmare druid is a type of druid. it's just not the classic type of druid. the druids of the fang, for instance, are a type of nightmare druids.

I see nothing wrong with an epic questline to choose between corrupting yourself or getting a blessing from cenarius.
    But would corrupted druids be accepted into the current druidic community of the Alliance/Horde?
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

Quote Originally Posted by The Flavour Cat View Post
    But would corrupted druids be accepted into the current druidic community of the Alliance/Horde?
    are warlocks accepted into the current general community of the alliance/horde?

instead of channeling power from the nature, those druids would be channeling power from an old god (n'zoth). affliction warlocks and shadow priests do that already.

quoting the visiting warlocks of the argent tournament:

"We may operate in the shadows of polite society, but out here on the battlefront our powers are properly respected at last."

it would be the same with a nightmare druid. tolerated as a "necessary evil", and hated by everybody until he's the thing that can beat the monster that's gonna eat you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Butcher View Post
    - Death Knight: [Hellfire Questline] - Turns all your frost spells & racial mount into a fiery animation, in honor of the new lich king.
    Did I miss something? I thought the yellow eyes and the marks on his skin were just a sign of holy power instead of flames.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    Did I miss something? I thought the yellow eyes and the marks on his skin were just a sign of holy power instead of flames.
    Dragon's fire. Specifically, the fire of Alexstraesza, which kept Bolvar alive/free from the Forsaken plague bombs at the Wrathgate.

With regard Druids of the Flame, a plausible explanation could be that the Avengers of Hyjal left a group of druids in the Firelands, in order to ensure that another Firelord would not rise. It stands to reason that those druids may see potential in the power the Fire Druids held and want to teach younger druids how to propery control said power, in the forthcoming fight with the Legion.
    Last edited by mmoc7427b70b47; 2014-01-18 at 02:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is from the Q&A at Blizzcon:
    There will be a legendary questline again in WoD. The questline will be a little bit more custom to your class to help with the lack of class quests. Class quests are very resource intensive, so at most we might see one or two in WoD. (Maybe Shaman)
    The next class quest will most probably be for us shaman; if they have time for another questline I would guess Paladin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow impressive idea concepts, i feel a little underwhelmed ^^;
    As for the Lich King and how it would fit, when Arthas died, Bolvar become the new lich king. But he had dragon flames, not frost abilities.

I like the druids of the nightmare better then the flame ones, I only saw them in the firelands for the concept.
    I do agree though, above all else I'd want it to at least fit with the lore in some way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Naphta
    The tank is the driver, healer is the fuel. And the DPS are the kids sitting in the back crying about if they're there yet. And this is coming from a DPS.

Greener fire for warlocks.

Take that other classes!