Deleted

Do I need an amp?

Hey there! A quick question for you headphone guy out there.

I am moving to a new appartment soon and I will have people all around me as opposed to now where I don't have anyone near me, so I can't really blast loud music late at night anymore. Therefor I have decided I would invest in a pair of nice headphones.

I am already pretty decided on the Beyerdynamic DT 990 250 Ohm. I am mostly listening to Trance, other EDM music and lots of Guitar music.

My main question is: Do I need a separate amp to drive these or will my Fast Track DAC be enough, haven't been able to find anywhere if this DAC also AMPs or not. In case it doesn't will my old Denon AMP I use for speakers have an AMP'd headphone output that I could just use, or do I definitely need a separate headphone amp?

Any advice on other headphones is welcome too. Though I feel like these will give the best base while also being able to get me the highs and soundstage from good guitar and full band music? The price range is 1200-1800 DKK ~ 250$ ~ 200€.

As for the AMP I don't have a set budget yet since I would like to either use my current AMP or use them without if it is possible to drive them.

not sure about the fast track but i think most speaker amplifiers will amp the headphone output as well.

best ask on some audio forum tbh.

Those are open back headphones and are not a good choice if you don't want people to hear your music. The DT770's would be better as they are closed.

Deleted
    Yeah I don't want people in the appartments around me to hear it.. I don't hope they leak that much and I think the bass in the DT 770s are going to be too much.

I like my DT 770's but the only way for you to know is to try them out. I get a lot of stuff from Amazon UK and they have a great return policy that allows you to try out items. Guitar and vocals are more suited to an open back headphone. But, instead of the DT990's you should look at the Philips Fidelio X1, http://www.head-fi.org/t/670318/phil...iew-comparison they're an outstanding headphone for the price. They will leak your music though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by neuk View Post
    But, instead of the DT990's you should look at the Philips Fidelio X1, http://www.head-fi.org/t/670318/phil...iew-comparison they're an outstanding headphone for the price. They will leak your music though.
    I am not so concerned about leaking into my own appartment, more leaking out of it with a speaker setup. But those headphones are a bit out of the price range here. And I am not so sure they are worth almost double the price of the DT 990s? I haven't heard them obviously and that's going to be very hard since the stores here don't really have headphones you can listen to that aren't beats. So all I can go from are reviews and friends recommendations really.

Quote Originally Posted by Booteh View Post
    I am not so concerned about leaking into my own appartment, more leaking out of it with a speaker setup. But those headphones are a bit out of the price range here. And I am not so sure they are worth almost double the price of the DT 990s? I haven't heard them obviously and that's going to be very hard since the stores here don't really have headphones you can listen to that aren't beats. So all I can go from are reviews and friends recommendations really.
    You may want to consider the Takstar 2050hi headphones, as they're on par quality-wise to the 770's and are a fraction of the price, with less amp requirement. I'd recommend reading a few reviews about them and checking out what people on http://www.head-fi.org/t/662826/wow-...is-pretty-good Head-Fi have to say.
    Last edited by Shinzai; 2014-01-21 at 02:08 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    You may want to consider the Takstar 2050hi headphones, as they're on par quality-wise to the 770's and are a fraction of the price, with less amp requirement.
    I cannot find them on a Danish site that doesn't look shady and people call the bass lacking somewhat?

Quote Originally Posted by Booteh View Post
    I cannot find them on a Danish site that doesn't look shady and people call the bass lacking somewhat?
    Probably best to use Ebay or Amazon, you'd probably be able to get them imported for 50~60 Euros total, give or take.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/641024/taks...st-impressions

The general consensus is that they're on par with the DT880's and slightly more bass driven. When people say they're not very bassy, they must be coming from some extremely powerful headphones. The Takstar 2050hi won't beat most headphones in the 200~ Euro range, but the price difference is the major point there. The main problem is, that for the 150~ difference, you'd only gain a minor benefit overall from more expensive sets.

I have those exact headphones actually, the beyerdynamic DT 990 pro 250 ohm. They definitely leak sound, but it's not that bad. But I could see it being bothersome to someone nearby that doesn't want to hear it. But I haven't owned any other headphones like these so I have nothing to compare to.

I bought an amp with mine same day I bought them, and haven't actually used them without it. So I couldn't actually say how necessary it is. I think my sound card actually has a built in amp as well so it may have been unnecessary. But AFAIK they are a pair that an amp is recommended for. I'm no audio expert though.

I love em though, and I could never use a closed-air set. My head would just heat up until I got an unbearable headache (from prior experience with that kind). So it's these or ear buds/monitors. :P

Heard good things about the takstar's too, despite how the sources always seem sort of shady. Powerful headphones for a bargain. Personally I was okay with spending a little more for the name brand reliability, but I'm sure they're very good.
    Main - Spirál - Hunter

If you happen to need a headphone amplifier I'd recommend the O2-amplifier. You can get it assembled for around 100€. If you can do some soldering you can buy the parts and the casing for 56€ or without the casing for 21€(parts) + 4€(PCB).

I bought mine assembled because I was worried that I'd fuck it up if I'd order the DIY-kit and solder it myself.

http://www.headnhifi.com/index.php?route=common/home