Page 1 of 15
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Personally boycotting the Olympics this year

Its been on the cards for a while now since russia won the rights to host the olympics, if they could somehow improve there human rights standards in there own country. I've always watched the olympic games, even though I am not a sports man and find to interest in sports in general, I do give phrase to my own country and respect to winners of other countries, athletes who try so hard.

But this year I refuse to watch it, on the grounds of the kind of country russia has become. When you have the countries own leader saying something like this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...4bc_story.html
    http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local...240951991.html

All I can say is him and his fascist country can go to hell. Calling all homosexual pedophiles is as low as it gets, and my sympathy goes out to the free minded russia people, either gay themselves or open minded enough to know what a fascist putin is. I refuse to indulge something like the olympics, an event that is meant to cast aside all indifference, to a country lead by someone like this.
    #boycottchina

Then you really don't understand the spirit of the Olympic games. You put aside political differences to compete athletically.

And honestly if you watched the last ones in China.....how can you complain about Russia's civil rights record?

Chelly
    What? I don't think he's linking that to child molestation. More like "don't spread your 'gay propaganda' to our children".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonon View Post
    What? I don't think he's linking that to child molestation. More like "don't spread your 'gay propaganda' to our children".
    How on earth do to think thats any different, or justified, in a man telling a whole group of people "Stay away from our kids we don't want them catching the gay"?

Its not justified, its the irrational words of a sick politician
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    ive been boycutting them since i remember :P

The athletes have nothing to do with Russian politics.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think one of us doesn't understand the law in Russia. I don't know which.

As far as I'm aware and everything I've heard, the law is that you are not allowed to spread homosexual ideas to people under the age of 18. Being gay is fine, being a paedophile is fine (well... it isn't, but it's not linked) and you're allowed to have gay relationships and whatever else. Just you're not allowed to go into a school and say "HEY KIDS LETS SHOVE OUR PENISES INTO OTHER GUYS"

Doesn't mean I agree with the law but I don't think it's as bad as some people make out. As said though, I don't know which of us is ill informed.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

I also will not be watching the Olympics. Not because of Russia's official stance on any issue, but because it is boring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    I think one of us doesn't understand the law in Russia. I don't know which.

As far as I'm aware and everything I've heard, the law is that you are not allowed to spread homosexual ideas to people under the age of 18. Being gay is fine, being a paedophile is fine (well... it isn't, but it's not linked) and you're allowed to have gay relationships and whatever else. Just you're not allowed to go into a school and say "HEY KIDS LETS SHOVE OUR PENISES INTO OTHER GUYS"

Doesn't mean I agree with the law but I don't think it's as bad as some people make out. As said though, I don't know which of us is ill informed.
    Have you seen the news lately on the treatment of gay men and women in russia, the police taking to ganging up on them, arresting them for just being who they are?

There is no law protecting the rights of gay men and women in russia, and there leader is a backwards fascist, everyone in the western world knows this.

And why are you trying to justify this with an outlandish statement that wouldn't happen in the real world, claiming gay people would be like this. In the mind of a backwards idiot like putin maybe that is how the world works, but that isn't real life.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    I do give phrase to my own country and respect to winners of other countries, athletes who try so hard.
    i dont normally do this, but i think you meant praise.

OT: i think now is more important than ever to show support to our athletes. show support for them and give hope to the people of Russia. stand united. if our country decided to not go as a whole, then fine dont watch and refuse to support. but since you are not spending your own personal money in the country of Russia, you are only hurting our athletes since they get sponsorship from the companies that pay for advertising during the competition.

be the bigger person and support our country even in the face of simple minds or hard times.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

I'm having a hard time finding any enjoyment in watching the Olympics anyway, so I guess I will be doing the same as OP.
    Mother pus bucket!

Deleted
    So you are boycotting an event that is completely unrelated to the Politics of the country hosting it
    Seems misguided and idealistic at best.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Have you seen the news lately on the treatment of gay men and women in russia, the police taking to ganging up on them, arresting them for just being who they are?

There is no law protecting the rights of gay men and women in russia, and there leader is a backwards fascist, everyone in the western world knows this.

And why are you trying to justify this with an outlandish statement that wouldn't happen in the real world, claiming gay people would be like this. In the mind of a backwards idiot like putin maybe that is how the world works, but that isn't real life.
    First 2 parts have been the situation for a long time now. This is nothing new and suddenly more people are up in arms about it because it's the popular thing to do. Have you boycotted other russian popular things? The Olympics is larger yes but otherwise you're selectively being outraged at their behaviour. It was not a suggestion of what happens in real life but rather an example of what the law is designed to "protect" against - it's not something that needs any protecting, it's dumb as fuck, but this law isn't the thing to be angry about. Sure it's a slap in the face but it's completely useless. Homosexuals have been mistreated in Russia for YEARS, this isn't a recent development. This law changed nothing, it's merely become a staging point for those who want Russia to change it's ways - and rightfully so, it needs to change.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

I drew the line at capturing and displaying killer whales for the olympics
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

lol the country can do what it wants. your boycott won't mean anything because no one really cares. keep thinking you're supporting a noble cause, because you're not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    i dont normally do this, but i think you meant praise.

OT: i think now is more important than ever to show support to our athletes. show support for them and give hope to the people of Russia. stand united. if our country decided to not go as a whole, then fine dont watch and refuse to support. but since you are not spending your own personal money in the country of Russia, you are only hurting our athletes since they get sponsorship from the companies that pay for advertising during the competition.

be the bigger person and support our country even in the face of simple minds or hard times.
    I do support the people of russia who are held down by putin, but I can't bring myself to giving any support that would be giving any form of respect to him and his leadership.

I would support human rights campaigners, like the amazing Tilda Swinton did in displaying a rainbow flag outside the Kremlin, at the risk of being arrested by the police.
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    Tought Olympics are the only event where every country brings their best sportsmen and women to compete and people forget the politics and shizz, but no.
    Murica must keep their russia propaganda machine going.
    There are much worse things going on around the world than Putin being anti-gay. (No im not supporting russia nor Im not against gay's, but ffs its the Olympics. Not humanrightspics.)

Deleted
    Me too but not intentionally. I've never watched anything related to sports and am not going to start now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohveli View Post
    Tought Olympics are the only event where every country brings their best sportsmen and women to compete and people forget the politics and shizz, but no.
    Murica must keep their russia propaganda machine going.
    There are much worse things going on around the world than Putin being anti-gay. (No im not supporting russia nor Im not against gay's, but ffs its the Olympics. Not humanrightspics.)
    Other bad things happening doesn't devalue current other bad things happening. It's failed logic.

Anyway the committee isn't doing anything for its gay athletes so that's why it matters.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

US has strategic partnership with Saudi Arabia where punishment for homosexuality is death. But who cares when it comes to US friends. They can kill whoever they want and shit on human rights.