Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I think you mean characters' religion. Players' religions have nothing to do with the game.
    While I would love for there to be some way to incorporate religion (especially for priests), RP is where characters' religion belongs. I'd be pretty frustrated if my gnome priest weren't able to choose loa religion or follow in the path of Mimiron, instead having to choose from whatever limited choices blizzard decided was appropriate.

bad idea. dont want jehovah's witnesses whispering me

Religion has been a colossal failure on many fronts. We don't need any more of it.

or you could play a Paladin, Shaman, or Druid...

Just sayin'

Also, just because someone mentions the word religion doesn't mean you need to insta bad-mouth it.

It'd be the same as if anyone mentioned Germany, spoke German, or used anything bought from Germany, you screamed GERMANS CAUSED THE HOLOCAUST. Enough is enough. "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"

edit: Talking about overwhelmingly large number of forum posts that badmouth religion, not the OP's concept.
    Last edited by Chasavaqe; 2014-01-18 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasavaqe View Post
    or you could play a Paladin, Shaman, or Druid...

Just sayin'

Also, just because someone mentions the word religion doesn't mean you need to insta bad-mouth it.

It'd be the same as if anyone mentions Germany, speaks German, or uses anything bought from Germany, you scream GERMANS CAUSED THE HOLOCAUST. Enough is enough. "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"
    No but equally Blizzard doesn't need to allow players the option to round up an enemy unit and put them into gas chambers.

Its a controversial subject and one Blizzard would do well to avoid

Ironically enough, the people who would want this are also the people who get most offended by this idea. Religion is always a messy business to deal with, and best left as backstory for RPers.

Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    No but equally Blizzard doesn't need to allow players the option to round up an enemy unit and put them into gas chambers.

Its a controversial subject and one Blizzard would do well to avoid
    So, more or less, the quest that leads up to the Battle for Undercity?

Quote Originally Posted by hypetrain View Post
    Bad Idea: Player Religion.
    I think this is the only appropriate response to your post OP, sorry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Several things in response to the OP. I'll read the Tread and respond accordingly after this post.

1: If you read quest text while leveling, you will find that you did play out the Religious parts of your character already. Religion doesn't give a game mechanic any more. But gives background and Motivations.

2: Not all races have religion, as seen from classic racial priest abilities.

See: http://www.wowwiki.com/Priest_racial_abilities

Dwarf & Human: Desperate Prayer (Light Worship)
    Night Elf: Starshards (Elune Worship)
    Forsaken: Touch of Weakness ( Death Worship )
    Blood Elf: Touch of Weakness at 10 (blizzard was being lazy), Consume Magic at 20 ( Magic Worship )
    Troll: Hex of Weakness ( Lua Worship )
    Draenei: Symbol of Hope ( Naaru Worship )

Gnome: No Priests, No Religion
    Orc: No Priests, No functioning Religion
    Tauren: No Priests, Spiritual Race no organized religion

After Cataclysm All races could be priests, and Warriors. But from a lore perspective Orc and Tauren Piests are trained by Trolls. Gnomes are medical doctors and are not actually priests.

Part of why there are no more Priest racial abilities, that and the constant balancing act. The two best racial abilities are now used by all races.

3: If you want to fill out your character and show them as religious that is what RP servers are for.

For instance I am leveling up a Gnome DK on Feather Moon and making her into a Gnomadin: I'll be using macros on her abilities and having her declare the light in all things. (still gathering up the pieces for her transmog)

What I am doing with my Gnome is how you show your characters beliefs.

So, more or less, the quest that leads up to the Battle for Undercity?
    If you're comparing the forsaken plague bombing the Alliance + Horde + Scourge to the rounding up and massacring of 6 million jews then you've completely failed to understand what happened in WW2.

The only similarity I see is that the plague emits a gas from it

How the heck did this thread go so badly?
    Who would say picking a "religion" in game would have to affect dps or anything, they could keep it purely cosmetic, titles/transmog gear/mount.
    Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Dark Souls have an option to "follow" certain groups or whatnot, like a religion? Never heard anything bad about that.

For some strange reason, I think this thread would of went better if it was called Player Cults, which is more shady if you ask me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urobolos View Post
    What sort of rewards are there for atheists?
    Play a Gnome or a Blood Elf.

Herald of the Titans PickleballAce's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if there is a religion that would let me finally use Glyph of Supernova.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celawien View Post
    ^^^^ not to bash the op but this would/could create a lot of issues with griefing. If anything I'd say sub factioning but not religious factioning. Similar to the Kirin Tor or Silver Covenant would be fine because they are already in the game.
    Technically we had that Already with class factions. I would love to see more of it in use.

Old Class Factions

Druids: Cenarion Circle
    Paladins & Priests: Argent Dawn
    Rogues: Ravenholdt
    Mages: Kirin Tor (although Alliance focused now)
    (Night Elf Mages: Shen'dralar unused now)
    Death Knights: Knights of the Ebon Blade
    Shamen: The Earthen Ring
    Warriors have their Racial Capital

Warlocks have a faction, but it is unnamed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Coronius View Post
    It's all fun and games until a bunch of Trolls drive a gyrocopter into a building.
    Umm too soon... well maybe not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    There is nothing worth worshipping in azeroth anyway.
    Technically if you read the quest text, there are lots of religions in Azeroth, only they worship things that can be touched.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by banestalker View Post
    perhaps not reputation, but a new system in which you progress by doing quests/dailies/ or follow and keep up a certain gameplay, or gather items.

for example, distribute food among the SW poor in a daily quest by the cathedrial of light. or put some mindless undead at Brill to rest as a follower of the forsaken ideology.
    and thats different from rep grind how exactly?... anyways it seems like pretty bad idea

Quote Originally Posted by kazih View Post
    People do realize religions in a fantasy games are different from real life? Like really.
    Yes but when you give players the option to choose to openly worship a God in game and do work in his bidding with a set of ideals involved then you start to tread on certain religions feet and start to cause their to be (perhaps ignorant) outrage at your game.

Blizzard would never implement open religion in this game, they're not stupid, they'd perhaps add it in another form by not calling it religion but following in the "Path of the Titans"

Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    If you're comparing the forsaken plague bombing the Alliance + Horde + Scourge to the rounding up and massacring of 6 million jews then you've completely failed to understand what happened in WW2.

The only similarity I see is that the plague emits a gas from it
    No, I know of the horrors of that dark hour of humanity. I was saying because you talked about "running around and gassing your enemies" so I mentioned that quest. Of course the holocaust was on a totally different level of atrocity because it affected millions of actually real people.

I'm done talking about this. The only intent I had from my original post is that many, many, many people are so quick to insult religion or religious people because they only focus on the negatives that it's very similar to only focusing on the bads of Germany instead of looking at the whole picture. That's it.

Whatever. I'm done with this thread. I should know better than clicking on any online link that has the word "Religion" in it as it is.

No, I know of the horrors of that dark hour of humanity. I was saying because you talked about "running around and gassing your enemies" so I mentioned that quest. Of course the holocaust was on a totally different level of atrocity because it affected millions of actually real people.

I'm done talking about this. The only intent I had from my original post is that many, many, many people are so quick to insult religion or religious people because they only focus on the negatives that it's very similar to only focusing on the bads of Germany instead of looking at the whole picture. That's it.

Whatever. I'm done with this thread. I should know better than clicking on any online link that has the word "Religion" in it as it is.
    And this is why adding a religion system wouldn't work, it just causes unnecessary controversy when it doesn't need to be present in the game, or when the same system can be used but under a different, less controversial and more inclusive name.

Religion and Politics are 2 of the things people like to escape from in video games, the idea of adding in religious worship doesn't sit well with me at all

There is no need for religion in WoW as religion itself built on faith, and as you can already do the supernatural phenomenons in WoW, or easily explain it with magic, there is no need for blind faith like in the real world. And also, what if I wanna be an atheist in real life, as I prefer to rely on facts and not bullshit?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Talthun View Post

Holy Light/Naaru

Humans, Blood Elves, Dwarves, Worgen, others

Elune/Earthmother or nature spirituality (general, Ancients, Loa)
    Night Elves, Tauren, Trolls, Dwarves, Worgen, Orcs, others
    Um slightly off.

Holy Light
    Preists and Paladins: Human (Stormwind, Lordaeron*, and Gilneans**), Dwarf (Ironforge)

Naaru
    Draenei (Most)

Elune
    Most Night Elves (Not Druids or Mages)

Earth Mother (who you can meet in game)
    Shamen (Most)

Cenarius
    Druids (All - Even Gilneans and Trolls learn the ways of Cenarius)

Titans
    Many Dwarves actually Worship Titans.

Lua
    Trolls worship Lua which may or may not be the Demi-gods, since the background of Trolls and Elves has yet to be filled out properly we have no idea if the Lua are actually the Demi-Gods like Cenarius. We have no idea who or what Elune is, and the only NPC to openly theorize thinks Elune might be a Naaru.

Blood Elves, All Mages, Gnomes, are in game Atheists. They acknowledge they can meet and shake hands with a deity, however they choose to study the ways of Science*** instead.

*Forsaken are humans of Lordaeron who died and were brought back, technically if they have a Religion at all it is based on a twisted undead version of Light Worship.
    **Worgen are Humans of Gilneas, some did practis simple shamanism which became Elune Worship in some and Cenarian Worship in Druids. However only if you play a Worgen Druid or Preist would you practice one of these beliefs. other Worgen most likely still worship the Light.
    ***Science in game can be, Arcane, Fel (Warlocks), Engineering, and even the way light works. Blood Elves have only just recently learned to worship anything besides knowledge. Originally the Blood Elf Paladins stole the light from a Naaru, this has been altered after Cataclysm, but the fact remains the Blood Elves do not worship the Naaru, they use it's power.