Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    People in this thread are being both hilariously stupid while trying to sound educated and "new wave"

As strange as it may sound, The Light is a religion with no god. It's a form of divine Humanism.

People throwing the word atheist around in this thread is as stupid as a person wanting to play an athiest in DnD and then whining when I give him -4 int and wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    Sure you can RP it if you want to, but in no way should it be bound to power, as your char already got said power anyway. Take shamans. They get their power from the elements. So they basicly work for a "deity" of some sort that then gives them power. But this does not need to be a "religion" or anything of the like. It is just a part of the class. Lets not make this more stupid than it already is. It would only create controversy.
    I already said it should be purely cosmetic if they did do something similar.

I think I said in my first post though Blizzard wouldn't do this anyway because too much work for something to appeal to few.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWorkingTitle View Post
    Your mage may be Atheist but mine sure isn't. He's as holy and monotheistic as they come, hence why I chose the Human race for their Human Spirit racial!
    Humans are not Monotheistic. The Light is not a god, it is an abstract concept that reacts to emotions and thoughts.

Saying you Worship the Light is more like saying you understand the concept of love than actually communing with a deity.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I already said it should be purely cosmetic if they did do something similar.

I think I said in my first post though Blizzard wouldn't do this anyway because too much work for something to appeal to few.
    Personally I'd love if this was used, as a sort of expanded concept upon the Lorewalkers. Used to add background to each races and their cultures and creeds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWorkingTitle View Post
    Your mage may be Atheist but mine sure isn't. He's as holy and monotheistic as they come, hence why I chose the Human race for their Human Spirit racial!
    That is all RP flair, and I think it should be encouraged to build up a back story and personality of your character even if you do not RP.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Humans are not Monotheistic. The Light is not a god, it is an abstract concept that reacts to emotions and thoughts.

Saying you Worship the Light is more like saying you understand the concept of love than actually communing with a deity.
    your first sentence; follow it. the polytheists used to have gods for Love or courage or wisdom etc. (they were actually called Love or Death).

Your Human Mage may not be Monotheistic, but mine is. Good day

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    That is all RP flair, and I think it should be encouraged to build up a back story and personality of your character even if you do not RP.
    This is 2014.
    No RPG video game encourages you to build a character, merely to asign stats to either a permanently blank slate or a premade character.

People in this thread are being both hilariously stupid while trying to sound educated and "new wave"

As strange as it may sound, The Light is a religion with no god. It's a form of divine Humanism.

People throwing the word atheist around in this thread is as stupid as a person wanting to play an athiest in DnD and then whining when I give him -4 int and wisdom.
    it's not divine humanism (no clue what that means) it's essentially a naturalistic religion or pantheism. which applies to every piece of magic in WoW; they're all technically real and tangible inside of WoW.

you'd think religion would be obsolete with how far science has come...it shouldn't be in a game, or real life. just causes problems.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    your first sentence; follow it. the polytheists used to have gods for Love or courage or wisdom etc. (they were actually called Love or Death).
    They had gods OF Love, courage or wisdom. They governed are were beings of the aspect.

But they were not the concept of love themselves.

The Light is not a god, it's a fundamental force of the Warcraft universe. Is gravity a god?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lavaalamp View Post
    you'd think religion would be obsolete with how far science has come...it shouldn't be in a game, or real life. just causes problems.
    How dare fantasy games have religions and creeds. It's totally insane, especially in settings with actual gods!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    it's not divine humanism (no clue what that means) it's essentially a naturalistic religion or pantheism. which applies to every piece of magic in WoW; they're all technically real and tangible inside of WoW.
    No, it's not.

Please, read up about the Light before you try to challenge me on a lore subject first.

The Light is a spiritual force, not a purely physical one. There are no "Light elementals" and "Light planes of existence"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hypetrain View Post
    Bad Idea: Player Religion.
    See also: EverQuest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.

As a D&D player, and a theist who leans towards agnosticism. I can redefine what an atheist is in a fantasy world were you can meet a deity. You should never punish a player for fully flushing out their character, to include their belief systems.

In a fantasy world an Atheist is someone who doesn't believe a God is a divine being, they are merely a super-powerful being and if you are smart and lucky you might eventually become such a being as well.

You can have the same word in a fantasy world have a slightly altered meaning. Since after all Common is not actually English, it just looks like your native language because it is the one you speak. The reality is Humans of Stormwind who speak 'Common' do not speak any language in our world. As such words like Atheism would have slightly different meanings.

- - - Updated - - -

This is 2014.
    No RPG video game encourages you to build a character, merely to asign stats to either a permanently blank slate or a premade character.
    This list disagrees with your statement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massively_multiplayer_online_role-playing_games

RPG means Role Playing Game. You take up the role of a character. Now in some games they will give you a full backstory, while other games will let you choose your backstory. ie Mass Effect. Building a Character is part of the core of a RPG.

Deleted
    As a D&D player, and a theist who leans towards agnosticism. I can redefine what an atheist is in a fantasy world were you can meet a deity. You should never punish a player for fully flushing out their character, to include their belief systems.

In a fantasy world an Atheist is someone who doesn't believe a God is a divine being, they are merely a super-powerful being and if you are smart and lucky you might eventually become such a being as well.

You can have the same word in a fantasy world have a slightly altered meaning. Since after all Common is not actually English, it just looks like your native language because it is the one you speak. The reality is Humans of Stormwind who speak 'Common' do not speak any language in our world. As such words like Atheism would have slightly different meanings.
    You don't quite scope what gods are in DnD do you?

They're literal gods. They created the world mortals live in, they live in the Astral plane. Godhood is a real thing. an athiest in DnD has to be extremely stupid, or simply have another word for god.

But that word is wrong, because they're fucking gods!

Pretty much nailed it. MMO-C's certainly the place for neckbeard atheists to showcase their pseudo-intellectualism, but this type of in-game implementation would bring out the annoying fiery sycophants as well.

Sounds good in theory, but it'll be a rep grind or something meaningless. I mean, sure a vanity rep grind for neat little items might not be too bad, but I think I'd rather them work on different, more engaging content.
    my rank 1's from years ago don't mean dookie now lmao

Deleted

- - - Updated - - -

This list disagrees with your statement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...-playing_games

RPG means Role Playing Game. You take up the role of a character. Now in some games they will give you a full backstory, while other games will let you choose your backstory. ie Mass Effect. Building a Character is part of the core of a RPG.
    You don't build a character in MMOs, you build an Avatar. An aspect of stats that interacts with enemies by killing them, just like any video game.

Mass effect doesn't have you build a character, it has you play a premade character using preset ideas and choices. You simply put the parts together to make one of very few characters you can assemble.

Deleted
    Bringing in "real" religion to any form of entertainment is always a bad idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only if my non-theist mains can get a "slept in" buff the moment I log on Sundays while the theists have to sit in the Stormwind cathedral (or where ever) for an hour to obtain their buff. To be fair though the theist buff can last a bit longer since they had to wait for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziharkk View Post
    Sounds good in theory, but it'll be a rep grind or something meaningless.
    *bites tongue*
    Last edited by OzoAndIndi; 2014-01-19 at 01:13 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Bringing in "real" religion to any form of entertainment is always a bad idea.
    You PC people are always hilariously crass.

Why should the imagery and mythos of religions be totally avoided because someone gets uncomfortable?

I love the mythology of the bible, and I wish it was explored more and in greater detail in many forms of books, films and video games. The same goes for Hinduism, that quite frankly is probably the most balls to the wall badass religion ever and is pretty much a comic book over 10,000 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziharkk View Post
    Pretty much nailed it. MMO-C's certainly the place for neckbeard atheists to showcase their pseudo-intellectualism, but this type of in-game implementation would bring out the annoying fiery sycophants as well.

Sounds good in theory, but it'll be a rep grind or something meaningless. I mean, sure a vanity rep grind for neat little items might not be too bad, but I think I'd rather them work on different, more engaging content.
    I love how the word atheist has become synonymous with "psuedo intellectual", "fedora" and "neckbeard". It's the same as claiming all Priests are peadophiles or all muslims are terrorists.

It's a stupid stereotype that speaks more about the person saying it than the person they're addressing.

- - - Updated - - -

You PC people are always hilariously crass.

Why should the imagery and mythos of religions be totally avoided because someone gets uncomfortable?

I love the mythology of the bible, and I wish it was explored more and in greater detail in many forms of books, films and video games. The same goes for Hinduism, that quite frankly is probably the most balls to the wall badass religion ever and is pretty much a comic book over 10,000 years old.
    Because it inevitably equals bad press and brings in debate and pressure on Blizzard that they completely don't want.

This thread is proof enough of that.

If you treat the "religion" as a faction, it's actually not that bad.

You could have amazing class quests.
    An epic quest line that culminates in armor tied to the religion.
    You could get upgraded spell effects.
    Certain bonus like special gems, enchants, or glyphs - maybe something that adds bonus damage to undead/demons if you're part of the Light
    It could allow cross faction interaction.

We already have something like this with the Moonglade and druid neutrality. This would be a broader expansion of it.