Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    Which is why I am only bringing up MMOs, since Single player RPGs are a single story sometimes they give personalized back-stories, ie Dragon Age: Origins, your race and class was tied to a back-story, which was really a nice touch, part of why I think DA2 failed, you didn't have the personalized origin.

in DA:O they only had a limited number of back-stories, but they had a few and that was a good thing. People want more than skill points sometimes.
    MMOs usually allow you the freedom of creating an avatar, but no way to create a character properly, you have no true way of manipulating the world. All you really get is the concept of a character's needs, wants, backstory and personality, but it's not often able to be translated into the game.
    "What do you seek within the mountain?"

NO. just no. If you want to have a religion go play on a rp server.

In Thrall's loving embrace, all hail ThrallChrist.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    As a DM I make a setting, describe it, give them plot hooks and allow them to do whatever the fuck they want. It's a PnP anything can happen.
    I give them that feel,but since we play in the world I design, and for all realistic purposes I am the Creator God of that world. I can give them the feel and the choices, and the players can and do derail the story by making the unexpected event happen. But usually I can set things up, I make the monsters, I make the treasure, and I control every city, every government. So I can gently push the party in any direction I want.

So much so I let player create short stories for the Game that the players then can DM for a night and I play their character.

I really wish I could have your suspension of disbelief, but Mass Effect felt 100% on rails. You had 4, maybe 6 choices per interaction. The story often followed along the preset path despite what you did and the only different thing really was what characters you did or did not interact with.

The basic storyline was so stiff and on rails it could have been narrated by Ringo Star.
    Up until the horribly written end, the game felt 100% player controlled.... sadly then we had the 3 color 'deus ex machina' ending.

Although I have to hand it to bioware when they do 'deus ex machina' and fail in a game, they do it in the most epic way and get their fan base more upset than any other group of game fans ever.

Since that Ending EA has been voted the worst company in America every year.

Outside of for RP purposes, why would anyone want/use this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Come to Detroit for the beer and crumbling architecture.

Stay in Detroit because someone stole your passport.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    I give them that feel,but since we play in the world I design, and for all realistic purposes I am the Creator God of that world. I can give them the feel and the choices, and the players can and do derail the story by making the unexpected event happen. But usually I can set things up, I make the monsters, I make the treasure, and I control every city, every government. So I can gently push the party in any direction I want.

So much so I let player create short stories for the Game that the players then can DM for a night and I play their character.

Up until the horribly written end, the game felt 100% player controlled.... sadly then we had the 3 color 'deus ex machina' ending.
    I'm more of a reactive DM, I allow the players to make their own story using plot hooks I may or may not have made. Most of my current players are both smart and very individualistic, they won't go after the bandits because they usually know something more important is afoot.

As for Mass Effect, although the first game was very well written, it did fall heavily into the "4 squares of look around" Bioware games usually follow, and was pretty preditcable.

However, Saren and his interactions felt very organic.

2 and 3 dropped alot of this.
    "What do you seek within the mountain?"

WHEREVER I WANT AINT NO ONE GONNA DO NOTHIN ABOUT IT IMMA T-REX
    There is way too much religion bashing in this thread which is, at best, off topic within the context of this thread.

Closing.
    AbathurSnuggles: Blizzard Alpha Videos

For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaDarsithisRaduxSimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarma