[MW] Heroic Thok 10 man

Hey all, I have some queries healing this fight.

We only pulled the boss 3-4 times and I really felt something was off in my healing/felt clunky etc. We use/planning to use the triangular strat of 3 groups with 4 people in one group 4 in other and one lone hunter. So here are my queries
    1. Since sck is only able to hit 4 people, is it worth using the cancel macro-uplift.
    2. Using rjw-uplift in conjunction with placing healing spheres on the groups/tanks
    3. ZS/Chi burst

We have 2 healed all fights so far (Disc Priest/MW) with access to resto shaman and druid as their offspecs. Since we only have a very limited number of pulls , for the raid tomorrow we planning on doing strat like 4/3 heal with 1 tank (BrM) etc etc which is not my real concern.

To be precise, I am more interested in how MWers are able to handle this situation in 10 where sck only hits 4 people. Any pointers/tips in healing this fight would be highly appreciated.

Use chi wave, for starters

Quote Originally Posted by Incredibale View Post
    Use chi wave, for starters
    Any specific reason why chi wave is better than ZS/Burst for this fight? Personally chi wave has been my to go for all bosses until now (maybe experimented ZS/burst in galakras, and malkorak thats about it ). Was thinking Zs/Burst could pack a lil bit more when people are lumped together and the issue with sck?
    Last edited by Apaylo; 2014-01-19 at 05:20 AM.

I came to this forum with essentially the same scenario and the same questions. How do other Mistweavers heal this fight on H-10?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well in personal experience we definitely feel clunky on this fight. It's frustrating.
    Even with RJW only hitting 4 people it surprisingly pulls ahead of Xuen/SCK cancel. You'll feel starved for Chi, but it's definitely better. Throw in Surgings where you can. Chi Wave.
    Our Resto Sham dominates an OS Disc and I for this fight so I'd say take Shaman for your third over the Druid.

I only have 4 hours of experience on Thok 10H, but I was going for RJW and Chi Burst (basically you can burst both groups after a screech). Some people claimed Xuen was better because it's good dps for bats. I had no issue with dps on bats since our raid is pretty much full BIS, but use Xuen if that's the case. SCK/Cancel is also said to be working fine on this fight, so do that if you have Xuen.

Like all Mistweaver threads, seems like all strats are working and nobody has the same opinion, so sadly you'll have to find what's the most effective for you.

I'd also advise to tell your group to try to pick up mastery orbs since they will be just next to them.
    Last edited by Spotnick; 2014-01-20 at 05:22 PM.
    Karuzo | Drainlife, US-Arthas
    Mistweaver Monk - armory - twitter - raider.io - twitch

There are two methods for healing this. Take RJW (and leg sweep), or take Xuen and use SCK (with a cancel aura macro) for your aoe chi gen.

I've tried both and personally I still prefer the RJW method, so here's my advice for that!

- Preferably get into the melee stack group, but being in the ranged group isn't so bad either.
    - RnM on CD, RJW just before screech hits and again after if people aren't topped.
    - Use EH on CD for chi to preserve mana, or jab/surging mist occasionally if your mana is fine. Surging is highest throughput, but > 1 global if you're at the 9k haste bp.
    - If your meta gem procs late in the stack phases, while you're at less than 2 chi, then prio just jabbing/surging for chi rather than getting the mana return with TP (you can use one later)
    - TfT once early and once late in each stack phase.
    - Use leg sweep on CD while RJW is up for an extra chi!
    - Make sure you have your chi brew CDs available for the later acceleration stacks.
    - You can spam soothing for a couple chi in between screeches if necessary, and it's safe during Devotion aura if you have it.
    - Start drinking your mana tea early in the phase to avoid it capping out at 20 later and not having time to drink it.

With the RJW method my mana is no worry at all, I have enough for a whole phase without needing to drink any time past stack 4 or so.

I've run with both ZS and chi wave. ZS leaves you less globals to play with, but the detonates can heal a lot. No tank/spot healing though, which chi wave is good for if needed.

Here was our first kill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0FxGIdkyyE
    And most recent kill log: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...&e=4816#Bowick

General tips for your healing comp:
    We used an OS Resto shaman, they are incredibly strong for this fight. But Resto druids are also very good, so take him if he's a much stronger healer.
    If you have a paladin in the raid they will make the stack phases MUCH easier to heal. Get them to spec clemency and you can have a BoP on the 1st and 3rd stack phases, which we push the furthest. If you're using the Shaman, line up Ascendence with the BoP, which is then followed immediately by Devotion Aura. This should take you to the end of the phase. As devo drops, pop Spirit Link to level out everyone's health and prevent an unfortunate one shot while you stack and break the phase. If you're using the Druid use the BoP with tranq.

Have Healthstones and Personals in your CD rotation if needed, and we found someone announcing the stack number was useful when people were tunnel visioning and forgetting where to use their shit.
    =
    Bowick
    Mistweaver Monk

Officer @ The Raven Council - EU

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a fuckload of discussion on this on the main Mistweaver thread but Liff seems to have summarized it pretty well. I can add just a couple more points,

1.) ZS is a HPS loss if the spheres detonate early; which they will on Thok, so going Chi Wave or Chi Burst may be better. Looking at logs, all three really end up doing approximately the same healing, chi-wave is just simpler to use. 1 global every 15s, fire'n'forget.
    2.) The Xuen/SCK cancel method is this. Whenever you drop low on chi, and you have people now and need to immediately get an uplift off, hit SCK, cancelaura it, hit it again, do this till you have the amount of Chi you need then uplift. There has been a lot of discussion on this and it does seem like this may be an HPS loss, but try it and make your own decisions
    3.) Xuen does have 2 uses. On hThok, you'll have CD's rolling, one into another, constantly. Xuen can literally be a CD on his own for 45s. Additionally, if your team has trouble keeping people alive during bats, you can save Xuen for that instead and do some pretty massive healing.

Other than that, I think Liff covered pretty much most of it, do try to get a resto shaman (even if not very geared - we do it on farm with a 553 OS resto shaman); esp Spirit Link when you want to phase, is invaluable.

Hey guys, we just had our first night on thok in 10man. Currently on our healing roster we have a disc, r.druid, myself as a mistweaver, and a potential offspec shaman. We are actually attempting a lower stack, 2heal 1 tank strat that had to change to 2 tank when our hunter got dc'd. Tonight I was offspec dps because I didn't like the clunky nature of my healing, but feel confident I COULD heal it.

I'm curious to find out what others do. Our average ilvl is around 572 and we typically stacked up around 15 stacks and phased it when our heals ran out of oomph. Our best attempt with 1 tank brought him down to 59% going into the second phase 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoir View Post
    Hey guys, we just had our first night on thok in 10man. Currently on our healing roster we have a disc, r.druid, myself as a mistweaver, and a potential offspec shaman. We are actually attempting a lower stack, 2heal 1 tank strat that had to change to 2 tank when our hunter got dc'd. Tonight I was offspec dps because I didn't like the clunky nature of my healing, but feel confident I COULD heal it.

I'm curious to find out what others do. Our average ilvl is around 572 and we typically stacked up around 15 stacks and phased it when our heals ran out of oomph. Our best attempt with 1 tank brought him down to 59% going into the second phase 2.
    With that ilevel (particularly with the recent nerfs), you can 3-heal it to 30 stacks every phase no matter what the healer comp is. At 572, MW clunkiness shouldn't even start to show.

We've always 1 tank, 3 healed it. Disc/MW/Resto Sham with Paladin tank.
    Stacks we go for: 29 -> 4 -> 26 -> break as soon as he's under 10% and kill in frenzy phase.
    If you're dying during the bat phase, just break phase as soon as the tank gets aggro on them, then move away and cleave the jailer + bats down fast.
    Make sure you have a proper CD rotation for the stacks (which I talked about before), and you should be able go much further than 15. Bare in mind Thok's AoE screech and his random raid damage just got nerfed by 10%. We go high - low - high stacks because we're lazy and use exactly the same rotation both 1st and 3rd, cos all the CDs are back up by then.

PS. In 3rd stack phase the tank lets himself get frozen early on (and we free him), then taunt-bubbles next time he gets 4 stacks of the frost debuff. Without a Pally your dps will just need to be really fast un-freezing the tank late in the phase. Make sure the tank pops CDs just before. If he keeps dying you'll have to drop the phase before he gets frozen a second time.
    =
    Bowick
    Mistweaver Monk

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoir View Post

At least for the first phase 1 you should be going up to 25-29 stacks since you have everything up and BL, especially with that ilevel.

Our first kill (1 tank 3 heal) was probably a bit lower than your average ilevel and we did 25 stacks (60-62%) -> kite (45%) -> 5 stacks (bats, 40%) -> kite (26-28%) -> 20 stacks (ice, 20%) -> kite (5-6%) -> stack immediately (kill or push into final kite phase then kill).

%s are pretty much what each phase ended on, don't forget he heals at the start of each stack phase, nowadays (slightly higher ilevel than you) we kill at the end of the ice stack phase.

We haven't seen it with the nerfs yet but from what I hear you should be pushing up to 25+ stacks without breaking a sweat.

EDIT: resto shaman are amazing on this fight (we used a 558 alt on our first kill), same with r.druids, you really shouldn't be having problems with reaching high stacks.
    Last edited by mmocee72ac48eb; 2014-01-24 at 12:06 PM.

It was a combination of high panic on the tank and the healers unable to keep up at high stacks ( running out of Raid cds) with two healing. I felt that our damage was more than making up for lower stack counts though. I guess we'll try three healing it. We were only able to get 23 attempts in 3 hours so maybe we'll get him down on Sunday.

Have you got any logs?
    =
    Bowick
    Mistweaver Monk

First 10 attempts were 1T, rest was 2T
    Don't judge my dps

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/btpBFY76vmx2MPHJ

Well, on your longest attempt.. You have a lot of silly deaths.
    Your mage dies to tail lash, boomkin dies to melee from the jailer, then both your tanks die to chomp.

On your two longest attempt while solo tanking, your disc priest dies to melee from the jailer and hunter dies to chomp. On the other 3:13 one your first death is the tank dying to chomp.

It kinda seems like some of your guys need to practice the fight mechanics in flex or something before coming to heroic tbh!

Your issue doesn't appear to be the stack phases so much, although it sounds like you break the phases quite early. The poison sometimes kills people, so get out more dispels and mass dispels, and get people to pop personals if they have more than 1-2 stacks during screeches.

I really think you should go 1 tank, 3 healers. Just look at the difference solo tanking makes to your Paladin's healing and damage output. Plus, your WW damage isn't great anyways, and while healing you get more dispels and raid/tank CDs. With two pallies in the raid you can have 12 seconds of raid wide interrupt immunity for 1st and 3rd stack phases, and 6 BoPs (both take clemency)! Use 2 on 1st stack phase (on Shammy>Druid>Priest, you are lowest prio), 2 on 3rd stack, and 2 if he's still alive when fire is out. Get the casters to make weak auras for Devo/BoP so it's really clear exactly when they can free cast or not.

Good luck!
    =
    Bowick
    Mistweaver Monk

It was our first night on heroic with a completely different strat than our normal strat, of course there are going to be flight mechanic issues. Stupid wipes are to be expected. Most of the time people dying to tail lash is because thok wasn't positioned right, not because they were out of position. The druid was resto, so had healing threat sooner than the tank could recover from the knockback. The only time someone really died from chomp was when they got dc'd which happened to both the hunter and one of the tanks or because someone kited thok the wrong way.