10+ Year Old Account

Fairly unique external HD problem

Hello,

After trying to use my External HD, my computer seems to be reading the HD as a disk drive.
    When I go into disk management, it sees it as disk 1, but says "No Media" under it. I cannot reformat, access it at all, and of course, cannot put a CD in it. Any advice will be appreciated! Will update if asked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can you take a screenshot of disk management?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I also know this might sound crazy but just bare with me. First off, make and model of the external hdd will help. Then when it's connected go to your device manager (If you're not sure how to get there just ask) and make sure you don't have anything that's unlisted or has an "!" or a "?" If that is all well disconnect everything and install the drivers from the manufacturer. Then as always with driver installation just restart the computer to be safe. Plug it back in and it should work... If it's showing up as a disk drive then it's most likely a simple driver error or malfunction. (Most external HDDs install their own driver, but the one on yours could be corrupted so be sure to install a fresh one from the manufacturer)

EDIT: If all else fails and you have to consider buying something new or whatever I'm a HUGE fan of the Thermaltake Blacx HDD "Enclosure" meaning you can plug basically any 2.5" or 3.5" HDD into it and it works no problem (Freaking love the thing basically makes internal HDD into external)!

EDIT 2: The other issue, albeit a very unlikely one, would be to make sure and remove Optical Disk Drive/HDD emulators if you happen to have one present. In this day and age it's REALLY uncommon, but I have seen it in the past (Like 2004ish?) so if you do have something to that extent uninstall and reinstall the software with a newer version, or just remove it temporarily to see if that's the issue at hand.
    Last edited by Thmsbkr3; 2014-01-19 at 08:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrollinNRollin
    Thread succesful! Just read through this with few of my friends and now TB has few more subscribtions! Btw TB I'm wondering what are we as Huskystarcraft fans are "Husketeers" what are your fans called?
    Quote Originally Posted by TotalBiscuit
    Suckers.
    Ermmm I mean...