Poll: Does the color of someone's skin play a role in their attractiveness?

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    Such invoking language, a person can be judged or questioned on a vast host of things; Why is this off-limits, why is it so sacred a person cannot stand a little scrutiny to handwaving an entire ethnicity away.
    Judge if you wish, but I'm not inclined to lend your moral foundations any greater credence for it. Again, the man in question is causing no harm to others. Why does he deserve your scorn?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simulatio View Post
    You need to read more. No, I'm not whiteknighting a fictional man. I'm debating the ethics of judging others unfairly.
    Maybe that's what you think you're doing, but what you're really doing...is being really funny. Cause you're so bad at this.

EDIT: Just ignored Simulatio. I feel smarter already! I encourage others to do the same.
    Last edited by Lemons; 2014-01-19 at 04:39 PM.

Deleted
    Attraction regarding skin colour is nothing more than preference

I'm not attracted to a few, so therefor the millions upon millions are completely incompatible with me
    In this example he's pre-emptively judging an entire race, which is wrong. But that's not the argument. If our hypothetical man finds a trait common to all members of that race unappealing, and therefore does not pursue them as viable mates, how is he being racist?

Deleted
    Judge if you wish, but I'm not inclined to lend your moral foundations any greater credence for it. Again, the man in question is causing no harm to others. Why does he deserve your scorn?
    Why do the pre-judged?

A person is not magically protected from anothers opinion or view on his or her statements, they do not gain a shield they can lift that shrouds them from any dissenting voices; That's life.

One person handwaves an entire ethnicity away for no real reason other than, well one is unattractive to me, fuck em all.

A person can look at that and say, my gosh, what a bigot!

Stating a view doesn't protect you from opinions contrary to what you consider "Right", indeed, stating that view invites debate as it's within the public realm.

- - - Updated - - -

In this example he's pre-emptively judging an entire race, which is wrong. But that's not the argument. If our hypothetical man finds a trait common to all members of that race unappealing, and therefore does not pursue them as viable mates, how is he being racist?

Certain "Races" have traits that are common yes, and a person may not be attracted to those traits, i can't tell them that's wrong.

But dismissing millions of others you haven't met because they may posses that feature... welp, that's not fair.

Not all Caucasians have blonde hair and blue eyes, not all african-americans posses large lips.

A feature can be attractive or not, but don't preemptively judge an ethnicity over it; Because that to me states something underlying that others would consider bigoted.

Stating a view doesn't protect you from opinions contrary to what you consider "Right", indeed, stating that view invites debate as it's within the public realm.
    At no point has our hypothetical man stated his view to others. Again, that's your inference.

Deleted
    At no point has our hypothetical man stated his view to others. Again, that's your inference.
    Then we wouldn't even be discussing this, as we wouldn't know.

Which makes all this rather pointless.

But let's pretend we can read minds, it still doesn't detract from what i stated.

Deleted
    I don't find dark skin attractive, period.

But I think the picture of the black woman who used bleach looks even worse than her natural skin colour. It just looks unnatural. Having a white skin colour but with black facial features isn't attractive in the slightest.

Also, white people who tan too much also look bad imo.

If our hypothetical man finds a trait common to all members of that race unappealing, and therefore does not pursue them as viable mates, how is he being racist?
    I find it to be something approaching impossible for someone to believe that black skin is automatically unattractive, but for this to carry absolutely zero racially tied baggage. Wouldn't it be easier for someone to just say, "hey, this is kind of racist, but it is what it is" than to insist up and down there's no way it could be kind of racist?

Certain "Races" have traits that are common yes, and a person may not be attracted to those traits, i can't tell them that's wrong.

But dismissing millions of others you haven't met because they may posses that feature... welp, that's not fair.
    Well, then. We've found the line. Prejudging people is unfair, and telling people what sexual preferences they are allowed to have is a dick move. I think we can both agree to that, then?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I find it to be something approaching impossible for someone to believe that black skin is automatically unattractive, but for this to carry absolutely zero racially tied baggage. Wouldn't it be easier for someone to just say, "hey, this is kind of racist, but it is what it is" than to insist up and down there's no way it could be kind of racist?
    I was trying to do that for like 4 pages. It's kind of racist. That's it. That's all folks.

...telling people what sexual preferences they are allowed to have is a dick move.
    No one is doing that. Try to not strawman the fuck out of positions you disagree with.

No one is doing that. Try to not strawman the fuck out of positions you disagree with.
    Didn't say anyone did. Try to unwad your panties

Didn't say anyone did. Try to unwad your panties
    Good work arguing against a position that you're aware doesn't exist then. That's pretty productive.

Good work arguing against a position that you're aware doesn't exist then. That's pretty productive.
    I'm not arguing against a position. I'm defining common ground. Again with the panties.

I'm not arguing against a position. I'm defining common ground. Again with the panties.
    So your common ground is that you're both against a position that doesn't exist. Good work with that. We probably are all also against neo-Nazi invaders from Jupiter's moons.

I voted not-at-all. Healthy skin is much more important.

This looks better:

than this:

(yes that's Cameron Diaz).
    The same person with a healthy looking skin:

So I think if your skin looks healthy, you look beautiful no matter what skin color.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

So your common ground is that you're both against a position that doesn't exist. Good work with that. We probably are all also against neo-Nazi invaders from Jupiter's moons.
    debatable, but that's neither here nor there. See, this is the part of the argument where two rational people, who have come to better understand eachother's positions, accept their differences of opinions and leave it, on common ground, amicably. At least that would be the case if we weren't all freaking misanthropistic sociopaths.

See, I don't understand what the big deal is. If skin color doesn't matter, why does somebody wanting to bleach theirs matter? I just see it as similar to a tattoo. That's how they want to look.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    See, I don't understand what the big deal is. If skin color doesn't matter, why does somebody wanting to bleach theirs matter? I just see it as similar to a tattoo. That's how they want to look.
    Because social status. Sexual attraction is just a footnote in this mess.