1. #1

    Blackfuse advice for Prot

    So we killed Thok heroic yesterday(yay!) and now we're on to progressing on Blackfuse heroic, havent seen that much of the fight yet though.

    However I pretty quickly noticed that you need some hefty damage CD's to kill the shredder.

    Is HA going to be up every single time I take the shredder or do we have to stack the debuff higher to kill it faster? And in that case is there any good "rotation" to be used? I found 1 and 2 stacks hardly doing any dmg but then I used DP unglyphed for every other 1 seeing as I have Vial hc.

    Also other than just for the shredder do you have any other advice throughout the fight? Such as if there's a good point to use Devo Aura or something alike it.

    Oh and we raid 10man.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Stood in the Fire PraisetheSun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    The Kingdom of Astora
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexyn-eu View Post
    So we killed Thok heroic yesterday(yay!) and now we're on to progressing on Blackfuse heroic, havent seen that much of the fight yet though.

    However I pretty quickly noticed that you need some hefty damage CD's to kill the shredder.

    Is HA going to be up every single time I take the shredder or do we have to stack the debuff higher to kill it faster? And in that case is there any good "rotation" to be used? I found 1 and 2 stacks hardly doing any dmg but then I used DP unglyphed for every other 1 seeing as I have Vial hc.

    Also other than just for the shredder do you have any other advice throughout the fight? Such as if there's a good point to use Devo Aura or something alike it.

    Oh and we raid 10man.

    Thanks in advance.
    Paladins are usually a good choice to take the first shredder, if only because we're one of only two classes that can reliably (albeit with much more thought required than lolfacerollwarriors) kill the Shredder with only 3 stacks.

    You'll want to glyph Focused Shield, Word of Glory and Final Wrath. If you're taking the first Shredder, I highly recommend taking Holy Avenger, and you must take Execution Sentence.

    If we call the tank killing the first Shredder the MT, this is the stack order I've found works the best:

    MT - OT

    3 - 0
    5 - 2
    0 - 4
    2 - 6
    3 - 0

    You'll want to use your CDs in the following manner:

    Stack 1: Nothing, as you're getting this as soon as you pull the boss.
    Stack 2: Nothing (SotR)
    Stack 3: DP
    Stack 4: DP (you're killing a Shredder between stacks 3 and 4, so DP will be up again with Vial and UbS)
    Stack 5: AD + External

    You can rinse and repeat this order indefinitely, assuming you follow the stack distribution I suggested. This also lets you save GoAK for a Protective Frenzy during Magnetic Crush, where you can and will get destroyed while your healers are busy making sure other people don't splat.

    As for killing the Shredder, if you follow the indicated stack distribution, you can have HA + AW up for each 3-stack Shredder - you will need neither to kill the 5-stack shredders. Cast Execution Sentence ASAP, preferably buffed through Glyph of WoG, when the Shredder starts to cast Death From Above (this will make the final ticks land during the extra-damage-taken window), and make sure you can Judge-AS-Holy Wrath immediately when it lands. Even if this means holding on to your AS, you absolutely need to have it ready for when the Shredder lands.

    Other than that, there's not much to Siegecrafter. It should take you 10-20 pulls to master this, whereafter you can sit back and enjoy watching the rest of your raid get mauled for another 200 wipes before you kill it :P

  4. #4
    idk about that stacking.
    I'd recommend:
    3 -> add
    2 on other tank
    4-> add
    5 on other tank

    4 -> add
    2 on other tank
    5-> add
    5 on other tank

    repeat.
    Like this you never have to take 6 stacks and you always get at least 4 stacks for anything other than the first add.

    Focused Shield I try to avoid since it's barely ahead of Alabaster Shield and I'd rather have a 3ple hit on the mines. Glyph of WoG is really only useful if you have 4p (but then it's amazing).
    Armories:
    Pally: Chiaki
    Dk: Telare
    Warrior: Irlida

  5. #5
    Blademaster LuisKA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madrid, Spain
    Posts
    46
    My approach is quite similar to Flavius, although a bit different on stacks. I use HA, ES, Final Wrath, Focused Shield and Alabaster Shield. Also CDR trinket.

    MT stacks (me) -> 3-5-6-reset-4-5-6-7-boss usually dies here, take 8 if dps is exceptionally low.

    OT stacks (monk) -> 0-2-4-7-rest(take shredder)-1-2-3-4

    We only do one 3-stack shredder so from there on HA can be used to soak Protective Frenzy.

    My CDs usually go like this: 1-3 nothing, 4 DP, 5 Guardian, 6 AD+DP, 7 cloak+bubble, 8 DP+cloak.

    Shredders approach@3stacks: build 3+holy power, Execution sentence as it starts to cast, speed of light gap closer,pop wings+HA, avengers shield>SoTR>crusader>SoTR>judge>SoTR>holy wrath>hammer of wrath if its not dead.

    Like Flavius said, it may take a couple wipes caused by you getting used to it, from there on it will be a painful road of countless tries until the raid takes the hand of it.

    Hope it helps, and good luck!.

    Shameless edit: I raid 25 man, it may (or may not) differ a bit.

  6. #6
    Flavius what do you mean by Vial and UBS in your cd section of the post

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanali View Post
    Flavius what do you mean by Vial and UBS in your cd section of the post
    Vial= Malkorok Cooldown reduction trinket
    UbS= Unbreakable Spirit, talent that reduces cool down of DP DS ans LoH by half.

  8. #8
    Oh never used those abrevations before yet I do use the trinket and he talent ofc

  9. #9
    Stood in the Fire PraisetheSun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    The Kingdom of Astora
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by Nillo View Post
    idk about that stacking.
    I'd recommend:
    3 -> add
    2 on other tank
    4-> add
    5 on other tank

    4 -> add
    2 on other tank
    5-> add
    5 on other tank

    repeat.
    Like this you never have to take 6 stacks and you always get at least 4 stacks for anything other than the first add.

    Focused Shield I try to avoid since it's barely ahead of Alabaster Shield and I'd rather have a 3ple hit on the mines. Glyph of WoG is really only useful if you have 4p (but then it's amazing).
    Your job, as a tank on this fight (especially in 10-mans, where Devo Auras and Rallying Cries are few and far between) is first and foremost to ensure that your Shredders never overload more than thrice. If they overload more than that, someone will die 95% of the time. FS and WoG are simply better glyphs for this specific purpose than anything else, for the following reasons:

    FS reliably increases your damage on the Shredder as it lands by 30%. Alabaster Shield does not, barring 100% mastery, which nobody has.
    Execution Sentence will snapshot the buff from WoG just like it does the buff from AW, and given how well guaranteed base percentage damage increases scale with the DfA debuff on the Shredder, FS and WoG shit all over any other glyph choice in this extremely specific situation, for reasons of simple reliability. Furthermore, as a 10-man tank, FS will also drastically improve your single-target damage over the course of the fight; barring of course some pants-on-head retarded mine-heavy 25-man strat, which I hope for your own sake you do not choose, this all points toward taking FS. If you do not have the 4-set, arguably you can forego the WoG glyph (it shouldn't be necessary at current levels of gear) and take AS instead, but especially FS is simply too strong a choice to reasonably pass up.

    P.S: If your raid leader is using the Warcraft Academy guide to the fight, immediately tell them to stick said guide where the sun don't shine. The guide is fine for 25-mans, but 10-mans that try to replicate it without certain very favourable raid comps will find that consistently dealing with mines is more trouble than it's worth.

  10. #10
    Then why not include final wrath - provided you get the add to 20% that pretty much seals the deal.
    Armories:
    Pally: Chiaki
    Dk: Telare
    Warrior: Irlida

  11. #11
    Stood in the Fire PraisetheSun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    The Kingdom of Astora
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by Nillo View Post
    Then why not include final wrath - provided you get the add to 20% that pretty much seals the deal.
    If you look at my first post, I did. I chose only to deal with FS and WoG in my response to you, as these are the only glyph choices you contested.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaviusAetius View Post
    If you look at my first post, I did. I chose only to deal with FS and WoG in my response to you, as these are the only glyph choices you contested.
    Woops - guess I didn't get enough sleep last night.
    Armories:
    Pally: Chiaki
    Dk: Telare
    Warrior: Irlida

  13. #13
    Stood in the Fire intrinsc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Seattle, Washington
    Posts
    387
    Pretty good help here. I had problems killing a shredder as 542 ilevel prot last night and had to go searching for answers myself because none of my guildies who had tanked it before would help me. I, then, went into an LFR to practice what I had read and it died in seconds after the death from above. I realize it will have more HP on normal, but prot DPS seems so much lower than warrior, monk, and even DK that it takes some thought.

  14. #14
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Liverpool, UK
    Posts
    84
    I wrote a guide for this earlier this week for Prot Warriors. While the advice on talent choices may not be relevant to you, the rest of the advice may be useful.

    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Prot-War-Guide

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •