Thread: Spoils heroic

Spoils heroic

We were damn close to getting this down last night, literally 200k dmg away but I'm curious what spec and talents people are using for this encounter - this is 10 man heroic

I use SV with TotH, Blink Strikes and Barrage.

Deleted
    I've found best results with TotH, Blinkes strikes and Barrage also. However during progress the only thing we found pretty important was killing the large adds fast, so I used crows. Less DPS overall, but more burst DPS on the large adds.

We had many problems on this fight until we switched our strat. Instead of one big add and the rest of the boxes, we did two bigs and filled out. One shot it as that way. So what I'm getting at is, if you're doing all the boxes minus one big, more ae. If not, single target.

It depends on how you open the boxes. If you generally put some space between the big guys on the same side, you can potentially get crows up on 3 of them or so (first and second Mantid, and one Mogu).

Survival /w ToTH, Blink Strikes & Glaive <== Mainly glaive because we don't go AoE apeshit with our strat, more single target. However the order we use there's just too much movement to make BM a viable spec for this imo.

In terms of strat we went for 2 big adds, 5 medium and 7 small. I start on the mogu side and just sometimes we were 5-10 behind the other group but we were very close to a kill with this strat. I just want to see what talents would be best here. Seems toth, bs, barrage seem the way to go

Irrespective of what anyone says A Murder of Crows will do more damage on any fight in SoO than Blink Strikes as Survival. Blink Strikes only effects Basic Attacks (Bite, Claw, etc), it does not increase normal melee or special damage attacks. If you want at least 3 of the big adds to die quicker to help your healers out then use AMoC.

We separate each of the big ads in each room so that 3 min CD's can be used for each. If your raid group does the same then A Murder of Crows is a better choice.

The other talents I use are Thrill of the Hunt and Barrage. I use Barrage because its extremely useful on the Sparks of Life, Stone Statues and Unstable Sparks while still doing damage to the current kill target. It's also very useful when combined with Misdirection to help the tank.

I use Crows instead of Blink Strikes. Even if BS were to theoretically do more overall damage on the fight I prefer the extra burst that Crows give on the big crates. At least in my guild getting big crates dead ASAP to ease up heals is more important than the overall DPS check.

Quote Originally Posted by rustyboy View Post
    Irrespective of what anyone says A Murder of Crows will do more damage on any fight in SoO than Blink Strikes as Survival. Blink Strikes only effects Basic Attacks (Bite, Claw, etc), it does not increase normal melee or special damage attacks.
    You're forgetting about the Blink part of Blink Strikes. There is a lot of target switching in this fight. That combined with the fact that it is just not possible to get full use out of AMoC is why I go with Blink Strikes on this fight.

Though I much prefer playing SV,I actually prefer BM for this fight. The primary reason is its hard to keep black arrow up in between the big adds because the smaller ones die before BA comes off cool down. That's a lot of missed procs and a lot of missed damage over the course of the fight. Usually BM is bad on fights with lots of target switching because the pet has to run around wasting dps. Not true here because your pet is presumably attacking a mob which is attacking a tank who is opening the boxes so he is already next to the next target. A few other advantages to BM is the cooldowns line up nicely with all four big mobs and the AoE damage is on your pet instead of on the target like SV which is better for the constant influx of new targets.

If you go BM, you usually go with blink which solves the issue of wasted crows uptime. The only issue I've notice is that sometimes my pet will blink into a box. The only way to fix it is to open the box or dismiss the pet.

You can take dire beast for the better DPS and sustained focus but I prefer fervor for on demand burst for things like sparks about to go off or a bad combo of adds up. Thrill usually results in a lot off wasted procs for me as BM or no procs when I actually need them.

There aren't usually enough enemies up long enough to make Barrage with it. Glaives can be annoying sometimes though because they will slow the adds the tank is trying to group up for AoE.

- - - Updated - - -

I actually prefer BM for this fight. The primary reason is its hard to keep black arrow up in between the big adds because the smaller ones die before BA comes off cool down. That's a lot of missed procs and a lot of missed damage over the course of the fight. Usually BM is bad on fights with lots of target switching because the pet has to run around wasting dps. Not true here because your pet is presumably attacking a mob which is attacking a tank who is opening the boxes so he is already next to the next target. A few other advantages to BM is the cooldowns line up nicely with all four big bo.
    Last edited by webwierdo; 2014-01-22 at 09:42 AM.

Thanks for the info chaps, ye BA is an issue as most adds apart from the big ones don't stay up long enough, guess I'll experiment with the builds above.

Deleted
    I go for BM with ToTH/BS/GT since I have to solo these boring sparks.

Got it down playing BM/toth/Bs as I was only spark duty, got a decent rank 50 too, many thanks for the help

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MomoGunz View Post
    I go for BM with ToTH/BS/GT since I have to solo these boring sparks.
    I don't see how BM is better for the sparks since as SV you will almost always have either ToTH or LnL procs ready to use whenever they spawn. Not that I would imagine being BM would be a issue, just don't see how it would be better than SV for spark damage.

Preferred BM due to being able to use BA all the time and with mobs being tanked close to sparks BM was better for overall burst.

Deleted
    Survival with Blink Strikes cause Crows would be only helpful for the 4 big mobs. Beast Cleave is cool as well I guess, but I feel better with SV