Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I wonder, do character transfers count as "cash shop" for the wow figures?
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by ignitar View Post
    Also, I doubt the graph shows Perfect World's Dota2 (Chinese users).
    Why? It features revenue from multiple other games in China, so it would make sense that it has global revenue for Dota 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    I wonder, do character transfers count as "cash shop" for the wow figures?
    I'd imagine it counts all non-subscription revenue.

that list gotta be faked as shit. Just looked at what crossfire actualy was. Its a terrible TERRIBLE clone of counter strike. No way in hell they earned that much legit. No way

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    that list gotta be faked as shit. Just looked at what crossfire actualy was. Its a terrible TERRIBLE clone of counter strike. No way in hell they earned that much legit. No way
    It's one of the largest games in China and Superdata is a reputable company. There's little reason to doubt the credibility of the list.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    WoW makes that much just out of the BlizzStore?

... well shit. There goes any hope of the store being toned down. Prepare yourselves for even more stupid cash-ins to nickle and dime you on top of your sub fee.

Buyable 90s pretty much confirmed now, 100s will propably follow suit soon enough.
    Entry level raid gear, challenge mode Tmog sets... the possibilities are endless.
    I think a big part of it is also stuff like race, faction and name change etc.

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Actually, Crossfire is a really decent CS clone, that can run on literally anything

Also the infestion and invisible gametypes are good amount of fun, try it out yourself, its F2P afterall
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

Quote Originally Posted by Darksoldierr View Post
    can run on literally anything
    With that presentation, it damn well better to. Though considering it's biggest markets, it might be a strong point for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksoldierr View Post
    Actually, Crossfire is a really decent CS clone, that can run on literally anything
    This is a big point. A lot of the computers in PC bangs/cafe's in Korea and China are really, really shitty. So the most broadly accessible games are the least graphically intensive ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    Ti don't think that is the case, not all subcription have monthly fee associated.
    Blizzard used to make about $1.5 billion back in WotLK/Cataclym from WoW, now it is about $800+ million.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    WoW makes that much just out of the BlizzStore?
    Pretty sure they are counting how Asia pays for the game, it can't be 200+ million just based on micro-transactions. Same for Lineage 1.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grantji View Post
    And I'm quite surprised that SWTOR does that well compared to other MMOs ... well... good for them?
    People always attacked SWTOR's F2P model, but I like it the best. I don't see where this notion of F2P players having access to everything became the rule, if they don't pay they shouldn't have access to everything. I like their model of limited raids and battlegrounds unless you pay. To me personally content restriction is better than selling gear and super convenience items. Good for them that it is working well.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems to me that F2P model is not going anywhere anytime soon.
    The subscription revenue model has always been the minority in gaming, especially if you look at it globally.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharuko View Post
    People always attacked SWTOR's F2P model, but I like it the best. I don't see where this notion of F2P players having access to everything became the rule, if they don't pay they shouldn't have access to everything. I like their model of limited raids and battlegrounds unless you pay. To me personally content restriction is better than selling gear and super convenience items. Good for them that it is working well.
    There are still some bullshit things that they make you pay for.

Like the ability to hide your head slot item.

swtor's f2p model used to be a lot worse

it's still a piss poor model from a consumer point of view but obviously it's working out very well for BioWare/EA

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    There are still some bullshit things that they make you pay for.

Like the ability to hide your head slot item.
    people say in F2P game, you should pay for cosmetics and/or convenience, you should not be able to buy power directly.

and here you have it, hiding head slot is purely cosmetic right, but you think you shouldn't pay for it?

what should a F2P model be then?

edit: the OCD in me thanks the mod for closing the parentheses on the title.
    Last edited by Vankrys; 2014-01-20 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Endre View Post
    What the hell is Crossfire?

Also, Blizzard makes like 1 billion and a half just from subscriptions
    Revenue is not profit, these numbers are not what they make, just what they generate. Revenue and profit are not even remotely similar.

people say in F2P game, you should pay for cosmetics and/or convenience, you should not be able to buy power directly.

and here you have it, hiding head slot is purely cosmetic right, but you think you shouldn't pay for it?

what should a F2P model be then?
    I guess they should also charge for gear to show at all, right? Characters should just all look like they are naked until you pay for the privilege of having any cosmetics.

Or we could choose not to use total bug fuck logic when discussing these things.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I guess they should also charge for gear to show at all, right? Characters should just all look like they are naked until you pay for the privilege of having any cosmetics.

Or we could choose not to use total bug fuck logic when discussing these things.
    you are being unreasonable. there is a difference between naked character and not being able to hide helmet.
    hiding helmet, color matching, display title, those are cosmetic preference. a character appearing naked is an eye sore for both subscriber and F2P alike, and that is going too far, even for EA.

Beside, i bought all those unlock off the GTN, didn't cost me a penny. Think of it as a grind feature. that's what F2P is all about right? grind for it or pay for it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drithien View Post
    just buying stuff and not being able to resist even blatant overpricing is beyond me
    By definition, it is not overpricing if people are buying at that price.

Basics.

you are being unreasonable.
    Your argument was that it was cosmetic so that means it is okay to charge for. I am simply applying that logic. Oh yeah, it's completely unreasonable. THAT'S THE POINT.

And you arbitrarily drawing a line is no different from me drawing the line elsewhere.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your argument was that it was cosmetic so that means it is okay to charge for. I am simply applying that logic. Oh yeah, it's completely unreasonable. THAT'S THE POINT.

And you arbitrarily drawing a line is no different from me drawing the line elsewhere.
    you applying logic to an extreme. that's what i found unreasonable. nevertheless you are correct in that the limit is indeed arbitrary. In my subjective opinion, leaving F2P character appear naked until the buy an unlock to display armor is a big nono, seems totally counter productif.

Hiding helmet however is totally optional. it does not "shock" me or break my immersion to see a vanguard with his helmet on. Again, that is my point of view. Hiding halmet is a cosmetic preference that is not brutally shocking or immersion breaking.

you applying logic to an extreme.
    No. Not an extreme. It's the exact letter of your argument sans the arbitrary line you drew.

And hiding your helmet is an option that exists in damn near every MMO you will ever play. The only MMOs I can think of off hand that don't have it usually have completely different systems driving character appearance (City of Heroes, Champions Online, DC Universe, etc.). And I certainly can't think of any other MMOs that charge for it.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    we are hijacking the thread, so i will concede, you are indeed entitle to think it's a misuse of the "buy cosmetic only" F2P mantra. i do not agree but there is value to the argument. That is just a small grief though, the unlock might cost an hour or so of dailies.