Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FpicEail View Post
    "Clearly struggling"? Before posting such laughable garbage, did you realize that they report their profits in quarterly reports? When those start dwindling, I'll be worried.
    OK. Switch off the nerdrage. It's clearly getting in the way of your sarcasm detector.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ronduwil View Post
    A baby takes nine months to gestate, no matter how much you pay her and/or how many other women assist. More money doesn't translate to faster content.
    Bad comparison. This isn't biology. A better analogy would be a building project.

The Chinese recently built a 30-story skyscraper in 15 days thanks to proper planning, efficient construction and hiring enough qualified people to get the job done.
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57...-just-15-days/
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

The number definitely counts the revenue they get from Asia. Asia doesn't pay monthly subscriptions they pay for the game by hour, and that is what the majority of that revenue figure includes. There is no way WoW makes 200 million from revenue from micro-transactions in the West.

Quote Originally Posted by Smece View Post
    Top 10 Online Games, Based on Free-to-Play Earnings - Worldwide
    Rank Title Publisher 2013 Revenue (mil $)
    1 (CrossFire) Tencent/SmileGate $957
    2 (League of Legends) Tencent/Riot Games $624
    3 (Dungeon Fighter Online) Nexon $426
    4 (World of Tanks) Wargaming.net $372
    5 (MapleStory) Nexon $326
    6 (Lineage I) Tencent/SmileGate $257
    7 (World of Warcraft) Activision Blizzard $213**
    8 (Star Wars: The Old Republic) Electronic Arts $139**
    9 (Team Fortress 2) Valve $139
    10 (Counter-Strike Online) Valve/Nexon $121

** - Not counting their subscription fees.

So according to Gamespot, WoW made 213 million dollars from microtransactions alone in 2013. That's from services like realm transfer and pets/mounts.
    linky --http://www.gamespot.com/articles/league-of-legends-revenues-for-2013-total-624-million/1100-6417224/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co

I never thought these numbers could be so huge.
    Is it finally time for WoW to go ftp? -sorry if this is already posted.
    Well if wow makes about 6.5mx15 a month that would be 1,170,000,000 a year for their subscriptions putting how much they make in microtransactions at about 15% of their income. Seems appropriate.
    nothing but empty space here bro. move along now.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSerialSniper View Post
    Well if wow makes about 6.5x15 a month that would be 1,170,000,000 a year for their subscriptions putting how much they make in microtransactions at about 15% of their income. Seems appropriate.
    WoW made as much at $1.4 billion back in WotLK, now they make about $800 - 900 million a year, which is a lot. And Asia has historically made up about 10-15% of WoW's revenue, so that 200 million figure makes sense when you count the revenue they get from China/Asia.

Because i think they could make more money by going ftp, and instead of 7 mill active accounts we would have 20+ mill.
    But then the issue becomes how many people actually wind up spending money in the cash shop? Not only that, but how much of the game do you offer for free? Do you go with Rift's model or something more along the lines of LotRO? If you'll notice, neither is on that list. Or you can go with TOR's model which is limit everything in existence and then sell gambling packs for the slim chance of some sweet items. I don't think they'd make MORE money. I think they'd wind up making less.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSerialSniper View Post
    Well if wow makes about 6.5mx15 a month that would be 1,170,000,000 a year for their subscriptions putting how much they make in microtransactions at about 15% of their income. Seems appropriate.

Blizzard makes about 800m a year, from all their franchises and merchandizing. (The quarterly reports are posted often on these forums).
    So the WoW microtransactions are more than 25% of the money they make. At this rate they must start to realize that they could make even more money from going F2P, because the subscription revenue might not be high enough anymore compared to making the game more accessible and thus the microtransactions too.
    ♦ Scepticist ♦ Critic ♦ INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    You know what would be better than having 7 million and micro transactions, putting all that effort back into the game and having 10 million again
    yes, because a large number of people that have quit have done so because their models weren't shiny enough.

Oh, if only if only they kept on putting in new mounts and armor and pets in every patch that could be obtained in game...

Oh wait! They do!

Guess that's not enough to hold everyone over.
    "Do not look down, my friend. Even in the darkest of times, there is always hope... Hope for a better day, hope for a new dawn... Or just hope for a good breakfast. You start small, then see what you can get." ~ Covetous Shen
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Because i think they could make more money by going ftp, and instead of 7 mill active accounts we would have 20+ mill.
    Blizzards accounting department disagrees with you, and I think they know a thing or two about this stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    Sexual assault is not always rape.
    *slowclap*

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    yes, because a large number of people that have quit have done so because their models weren't shiny enough.

Oh, if only if only they kept on putting in new mounts and armor and pets in every patch that could be obtained in game...

Oh wait! They do!

Guess that's not enough to hold everyone over.
    No matter what they do, it'll never be good enough for the vocal, unhappy portion of this community.

Oh well~

Inb4 I get flak for saying this.

Dreadlord
    They would for a short period, then the game would suffer a big quality loss and the number of players would go from bleeding to hemmoraging.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarch the Conqueror View Post

Blizzard makes about 800m a year, from all their franchises and merchandizing. (The quarterly reports are posted often on these forums).
    So the WoW microtransactions are more than 25% of the money they make. At this rate they must start to realize that they could make even more money from going F2P, because the subscription revenue might not be high enough anymore compared to making the game more accessible and thus the microtransactions too.
    Again that is your opinion and Blizzards accounting department who probably has much better date available then you, disagrees.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    Sexual assault is not always rape.
    *slowclap*

This shouldn't be of any surprise to anyone. The people saying WoW needs the subscription along with the rest don't know what they're talking about. The reason WoW has both is because enough people are willing to be ripped off that they can get away with it. But they could easily retain the game's quality without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    No matter what they do, it'll never be good enough for the vocal, unhappy portion of this community.

Oh well~

Inb4 I get flak for saying this.
    I've adopted the Sha of Anger's mantra when it comes to expecting retorts on MMO champion...

"YES, BRING YOUR RAGE TO BARE! TRY TO STRIKE ME DOWN!"
    "Do not look down, my friend. Even in the darkest of times, there is always hope... Hope for a better day, hope for a new dawn... Or just hope for a good breakfast. You start small, then see what you can get." ~ Covetous Shen
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Are you people really that Clueless?

When you have MILLIONS of people paying a monthly Sub you don't go F2P.

WOW will go F2P when Subs drop under 500,000 in 15 years.
    @Ghostcrawler:Some advice: [My pet issue] is why there were sub losses is one of the weaker arguments players use. Players don't have that data.

WoW will probably go free to play within a few years. When their subscriptions keep dropping (which they will) they risk losing income on microtransactions as well. At some point they will make the switch to free to play and just add a bunch of microtransactions to make up for the loss of paid subscriptions. They're right now just in a transitional phase.
    Of all the posts in this thread, this is the one I agree with. The transition is happening, slowly but surely.

The main thing slowing down the transition? The huge amount of money Blizzard gets from subs.
    But as this decreases, and as people get more acclimated to a F2P model where we buy stuff in shops, the more attractive F2P becomes.

Right now, in January of 2014, the money Blizzard makes on sub fees dwarfs the amount from micro-transactions. But its 5 or 6 to 1, not 10 or 50 to 1. And the trend is for this gap to narrow over time. Over the next few years I'd say it is more than 50-50 that F2P becomes a reality. The rule of the business world is adapt or die, and Blizzard is quite aware of the companies that did not adapt, and thus died.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    In line with inflation the cost of many services or products based on a regular payment has increased.
    The WoW subscription is an exception to that rule.
    If you do not buy any store items, or any account services then rather than whining you should be thanking those people who kept your subscription cost the same for about 8 years now.
    At this point Blizzard has never stated that such micro transactions are keeping subscription fees down or content quality up. You continue to spew a bunch of hot air.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    In line with inflation the cost of many services or products based on a regular payment has increased.
    The WoW subscription is an exception to that rule.
    If you do not buy any store items, or any account services then rather than whining you should be thanking those people who kept your subscription cost the same for about 8 years now.
    oh fuck bro you better ring up the pope then because games like GW2 must be selling their souls to satan to keep running with no sub fee at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Pancaspe View Post
    Are you people really that Clueless?

When you have MILLIONS of people paying a monthly Sub you don't go F2P.

WOW will go F2P when Subs drop under 500,000 in 15 years.
    15 years, lol in 15 years the technology will surpass WoW so bad that it'll look like NES games look today.

Quote Originally Posted by nekobaka View Post
    At this point Blizzard has never stated that such micro transactions are keeping subscription fees down or content quality up. You continue to spew a bunch of hot air.
    He actually put some economical logic in your "blizzard is evil" paranoia. But keep spouting nonsense, it's entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by ACES View Post
    There's no reason for WoW to go F2P because people are still willing to pay the sub fee (and really $15 a month is chump-change anyway).

I'm glad to see the store doing so well, hopefully it bodes well for it's future.
    i agree with this. while i do understand why people are against micro transactions in a p2p game, nothing they have added in anyway makes you better than anyone. if they get to that point its another story but i dont think they will while its still p2p.

the sub fee still feels very much worth it. even when we are in a patch lull i still feel inclined to log on because there is still so much other crap to do. and thats all that matters to me. if they were doing this while not having anything to do i would raise an eyebrow.
    "The Horde has committed heinous crimes, Vol'jin. But some among you fought against Garrosh's tyranny. For that, I'm willing to end this bloodshed. But know this : if your Horde fails to uphold honor as Garrosh did, we will end you." - High King Varian Wrynn