Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The store is extra money for them, and they deserve it. Why suggest going F2P when theyve earned what theyve made.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    With 7 million active subscribers, this indicates $30 spent, on average per subscriber in a 1 year period.
    Subscriptions bring in $150 per subscriber in a 1 year period.
    First of all the active subscriber count isn't even close to 7 million.

But to get to that 213 million number, this mythical 7 million still needs to spend $30 a year on Blizzard store crap. Something sounds off.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Smece View Post

Is it finally time for WoW to go ftp?

It's like you have no business sense.

Blizzard makes millions of dollars from their subscription and you're seriously suggesting they throw that away so they can make significantly less by being F2P ?

You're fired from what ever business you own now, may own in the future or work for.

Quote Originally Posted by Avendesera View Post
    The store is extra money for them, and they deserve it. Why suggest going F2P when theyve earned what theyve made.
    lol how do they deserve it? You realize they could probably release the ugliest mounts/pets ever and most would suck them up for the sake of collecting.

Quote Originally Posted by rated View Post
    It's like you have no business sense.

Blizzard makes millions of dollars from their subscription and you're seriously suggesting they throw that away so they can make significantly less by being F2P ?

You're fired from what ever business you own now, may own in the future or work for.
    You do realise that a F2P Wow has the potential to bring in a A LOT more players right? All ready to buy shit from the store.

15+ Year Old Account
    They probably make around a 1 billion from subs...so even though this number is huge...it's only around 1/5th of what they make off subs. They're not going to go F2P anytime soon.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon138 View Post
    If they're going to sell things to the players through a shop, they need to give the players a way to get those items in game without paying.
    Like what exactly?

There over 250 mounts in the game.
    There are nearly 600 pets in the game.
    There are thousands of helm models in the game for transmog.

Not saying they should stop adding new mounts, pets and armour models, just pointing out that I don't think they withheld any in game rewards for the shop items.

Quote Originally Posted by Farora View Post
    You do realise that a F2P Wow has the potential to bring in a A LOT more players right? All ready to buy shit from the store.
    It would likely also lose them a ton of core subs who have been paying them for years.

I know a lot of people who retch at the thought of playing f2p mmo's, simply because of the reduced focus on fun gameplay and increased focus on monetization and incentive to buy in.

i rather pay my sub and have blizz create content i like, expansions etc. Without them having to go to a great deal of analytics, in order to implement a monetization model that will pay for the content, and future content.

SWTOR hasn't had a real expansion in 3 years now. It's simply not financially responsible in a f2p framework, you cant be sure that your massive amount of work will turn into $$$.
    Subscriptions are stable. If you can develop an expansion solely from subs. You can release that expansion without having to monetize it further, or rely on x amount of players to buy x amount of xp potions, gear packs or whatever.

Deleted
    Pretty sure I've spent more $$ in LoL last year then I have in wow over the past 4 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
    They probably make around a 1 billion from subs...so even though this number is huge...it's only around 1/5th of what they make off subs.
    the store is fairly limited in what is available. say they double or triple the items available, how much more would they be able to make?

is there a delicate balance in releasing store items over time, or all at once? i am sure they have people mathing it all out. blizz min/maxing profits like we min/max stats. ironic almost.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
    They probably make around a 1 billion from subs...so even though this number is huge...it's only around 1/5th of what they make off subs. They're not going to go F2P anytime soon.
    They don't make a billion from subs. They likely didn't make as much from WoW all together than Crossfire or LoL did in game for that matter if you read the 3rd quarter report.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    the store is fairly limited in what is available. say they double or triple the items available, how much more would they be able to make?

is there a delicate balance in releasing store items over time, or all at once? i am sure they have people mathing it all out. blizz min/maxing profits like we min/max stats. ironic almost.
    I don't think it's in their interest to flood the shop with stuff. What they'll want to do is try and slowly ramp it up as their subscription revenues drop. Steady cashflow is the name of the game. Huge profits one year, followed by 50% reduction in the next is generally not a good business strategy to instill investor confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Avendesera View Post
    Please tell me that a Blizzard employer was holding a gun to your head when you said that...

10+ Year Old Account
    Please read their financial report for end of 2013.

Please.

It is illuminating.

http://investor.activision.com/reports.cfm

There is no need for napkin math, these are their own official (if unaudited) figures.

Read it, all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Why should they go F2P and suffer the quality loss just because they make good money from services, pets, and mounts? That's like saying to someone that once they reach a certain level of income they should stop getting paid.
    I don't understand why people equate F2P to lesser quality games when there are plenty of really good F2P games on the market, and if they make more money as a micro transaction game they could invest more into their game.

and something something cataclysm sucked
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...cn=Revolutions

BATTLEMASTER (After 3.3.5 nerf) REVOLUTIONS REPORTING IN.
    Wielder of The Scepter of Shifting Sands, Hand of Ragnaros, and Shadowmourne. Bringer of 66 minute kings.

WoW releases one raid every 6-12 months and people are worried about quality loss at going free to play. That is amazing to me. It can't get any worse quality-wise than it is now and you're paying 15/month.

Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again - the level of addiction and completely blind, mindless Blizzard defence on these forums is equal to some of the worst drug addicted people I have met in my life.
    You're not attacking them ergo I can't be defending them. Blizzard will continue to make money or not regardless of what our opinions are. You seem to have an inflated sense of your opinion's importance. Just because I disagree with you on the correct course of action the company should take does not make me a "Blizzard defender."
    Quote Originally Posted by CandyCotton Marshmallows View Post
    People need to get over the gear color (and themselves). It doesn't matter, and it shouldn't matter what other players have either. Worry about your damn self. Live your life by that. If you want to concern yourself with someone else, then worry about HELPING them, not putting them down or making sure you stand out as better than them.
    Maybe the game would be better with more low DPS nice guys and fewer high DPS jerks? -- Ghostcrawler, Twitter, 6/29/13

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronduwil View Post
    You're not attacking them ergo I can't be defending them. Blizzard will continue to make money or not regardless of what our opinions are. You seem to have an inflated sense of your opinion's importance. Just because I disagree with you on the correct course of action the company should take does not make me a "Blizzard defender."
    Regardless of 'our' opinions, yes. But your opinion actually matters. If content wow players wanted the original genre back they'd lose a lot of money. Never going to happen though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilian View Post
    The first mount they put in their web store generated 2 million dollars in the first two hours. Those costs are nothing compared to what they make. Stop being so naive...
    The comment I was responding to indicated that server changes, race changes, and name changes don't cost Blizzard a dime and are therefore pure profit. It said nothing about their in-game store, nor did I mean to imply that microtransactions aren't profitable. There's a difference between costs being relatively small and costs being non-existent. Mounts are far less intrusive than any of their services because the code to enable mounts or pets is exercised every single day by a significant portion of the player population. You don't need an extra computer to manage those because it's as simple as updating a single field in a player database. The Blizzard store is also an extension of the existing battle.net account management infrastructure. Neither of those things can be said for those paid services that I was talking about. If you're going to dismiss my statements as naive please don't change the context in which they were made.
    Last edited by Ronduwil; 2014-01-22 at 06:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CandyCotton Marshmallows View Post
    People need to get over the gear color (and themselves). It doesn't matter, and it shouldn't matter what other players have either. Worry about your damn self. Live your life by that. If you want to concern yourself with someone else, then worry about HELPING them, not putting them down or making sure you stand out as better than them.
    Maybe the game would be better with more low DPS nice guys and fewer high DPS jerks? -- Ghostcrawler, Twitter, 6/29/13

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Good question. I'm not sure if the Fey Dragon and Alterac Pup were fully calculated because a portion of the profits went to charity.
    I think only 50% of the pup went to charity, not the dragon. Also donations allow for tax write offs so it's still profit. Not like they are losing any money.