Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Replace LFR with 5-mans

Blizzard’s time invested in tuning raids for LFR should be reallocated into tuning them for 5-man versions of the instances instead.

Back in the day, casuals ran 5-mans, and we liked it. Instead of giving us a drama filled LFR snooze fests, give us a challenge with 5-man versions of the high-end raids.

This opens a new endgame for those who do not want to commit to 10-25 man raiding. Make them hard, but doable in 1-2 hours with a competent group. Don’t put them into the dungeon finder. Make people fly out to them. Put a one week lockout on them. Loot is equivalent to LFR gear.

Also, get raid/dungeon scaling implemented. We want a “scaling switch” to enable/disable scaling to run old raids as a challenge. There are around 30 old raids that are mainly used for transmog runs only. Scale them and allow for LFR level gear to drop and watch them come alive again.

The new loot system in WoD make this an even better idea. The hardcore folks who are not in a Heroic/Mythic raiding group could run “all” 30+ old raids per week trying to get their “perfect” LFR level gear.

TLDR: Remove LFR. Enable 5-man raids. Enable optional raid scaling.

I'd rather they remake LFR into a solo scenario with npc support so the raid team doesn't have to waste their time with it. If they were 5 mans, the raid team would still have to tune them correctly, it would probably even take longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    I'd rather they remake LFR into a solo scenario with npc support so the raid team doesn't have to waste their time with it. If they were 5 mans, the raid team would still have to tune them correctly, it would probably even take longer.
    This would be fun, but Blizzard will never do this because it would require five times as much hardware for them to support. The alternative is to have everyone run their solo instances locally and then report their results to the server, but that didn't work out so well in Diablo II because this method is so prone to hacks so I doubt they'll take that approach. The solo scenarios in the game right now tend to be available one time only and take 15-20 minutes. They're not weekly 45-180 minute runs like LFR.
    Quote Originally Posted by CandyCotton Marshmallows View Post
    People need to get over the gear color (and themselves). It doesn't matter, and it shouldn't matter what other players have either. Worry about your damn self. Live your life by that. If you want to concern yourself with someone else, then worry about HELPING them, not putting them down or making sure you stand out as better than them.
    Maybe the game would be better with more low DPS nice guys and fewer high DPS jerks? -- Ghostcrawler, Twitter, 6/29/13

I would prefer them to be 5 mans over the overly bloated dysfunctional mess it is now. The larger size was supposed to resolve queue issues and it just got twice as bad.

If Blizzard really wants to make it feel big and "epic" like a raid then that could work.

I would have to think since they are already doing Flex, Normal, Heroic they don't have to do much for LFR. All the art is done and the mechanics of the fight. Just lower the stats of the bosses and his attacks and then it's just creating the loot and your done. Creating more 5-mans means creating new art, boss mechanics, loot, etc.

Not that I'm not opposed to more 5 mans mind you but it's not an apples to apples comparison in terms of time and resources taking out LFR and replacing it for 5 mans.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not replacing it, that's removing it completely. Why remove it?

I wasn't satisfied with just 5-mans for my alts. However, I'd be fine with seeing LFR go in favor of flex.

They did this with Wrath and Cata, remember those three different 5-mans we got with the final patch of the expansions? They are exactly what you are talking about right now, but when they were released everyone threw a fit.

10+ Year Old Account
    How about we just leave well enough alone, don't like LFR run flex, make it a time of your choosing so you aren't locked into a raid group/guild and you can even do it xrealm. No reason at all to remove a feature that many players use.
    Ideally no one has ever hit the level cap of the last expansion, looked at their dungeon blues, and thought "I win."

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...all/chuckabear

10+ Year Old Account
    I would do heroics in an instant over LFR. I really hope the go through with bumping up heroics regularly to LFR level gear.
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well timed thread, been preoccupied all day with this kind of thought. I miss 5mans being something relevant that people actually did, would love to do 5man lfr with some friends instead of having to put up with so many random people causing drama.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather they remake LFR into a solo scenario with npc support
    change current LFR to scripted solo scenario with no loot, tourist mode.
    flexi then fills LFR role for alts gearing up.
    Hi

That's not a terrible idea. You mean a 5 man dungeon that is like a mini-version of the LFR raid?

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    change current LFR to scripted solo scenario with no loot, tourist mode.
    At that point you might as well provide players without a link to youtube so they can just view a video. You should at least provide valor or justice. I don't know why everyone is so determined to punish players who don't particularly enjoy grouping with at least nine other people. Even those faceroll dungeons give valor.
    Quote Originally Posted by CandyCotton Marshmallows View Post
    People need to get over the gear color (and themselves). It doesn't matter, and it shouldn't matter what other players have either. Worry about your damn self. Live your life by that. If you want to concern yourself with someone else, then worry about HELPING them, not putting them down or making sure you stand out as better than them.
    Maybe the game would be better with more low DPS nice guys and fewer high DPS jerks? -- Ghostcrawler, Twitter, 6/29/13

10+ Year Old Account
    LFR isn't going anywhere. Why can't you people drop this subject?
    Aye mate

You obviously don't use LFR, so why does it affect you AT ALL?
    Last edited by Majestian; 2014-01-20 at 10:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by drick7 View Post
    Blizzard’s time invested in tuning raids for LFR should be reallocated into tuning them for 5-man versions of the instances instead...
    They already said they have plans to fix lfr, ie. flex size it just like normal and heroic will be. Not to mention they already said there will be 5-man additions later in the expac. Why replace when it sounds like it will be both? Also, don't be so selfish and whine for the removal of a game feature you dislike and others do like. Someone should close this topic asap.

oh yes PLEEEEASE make the end boss even easier by turning him into a 5 man dungeon boss!!!! EPIC KILL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    LFR isn't going anywhere. Why can't you people drop this subject?
    Because so long as "dirty casual scum" is allowed to raid without putting in a per-requsite amount of effort determined by the psedu-hard core elitist raiding community, they will *never* drop the subject.

At the end of the day, it really does boil down to people not wanting others to share in content they themselves feel should be exclusive to only them, and by people who are in bad raiding guilds that require them to participate in LFR and Flex in order to do Normals and Heroics. What I find painfully ironic is even if LFR never existed, people would be complaining about 5-mans and Flex in place of it, as even without LFR and the idea that no one but they can see "their" content, they'd still be "required" to run easier content they have no interest in in order to perform in Normals and Heroics, even though Blizzard doens't tune said difficulties with easier difficulties in mind.

At the end of the day: People complain because it's the internet, and until WoW is catered exclusively to them (which it never will be), they'll never cease complaining...Ergo the complaints shall never stop. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladesyphon View Post
    Because so long as "dirty casual scum" is allowed to raid without putting in a per-requsite amount of effort determined by the psedu-hard core elitist raiding community, they will *never* drop the subject.

At the end of the day, it really does boil down to people not wanting others to share in content they themselves feel should be exclusive to only them, and by people who are in bad raiding guilds that require them to participate in LFR and Flex in order to do Normals and Heroics. What I find painfully ironic is even if LFR never existed, people would be complaining about 5-mans and Flex in place of it, as even without LFR and the idea that no one but they can see "their" content, they'd still be "required" to run easier content they have no interest in in order to perform in Normals and Heroics, even though Blizzard doens't tune said difficulties with easier difficulties in mind.

At the end of the day: People complain because it's the internet, and until WoW is catered exclusively to them (which it never will be), they'll never cease complaining...Ergo the complaints shall never stop. Ever.
    Actually blizzard made the content hard to reward players who put in the time and wanted their game to be hard to beat. then blizzard made content so that people who weren't very skilled could still see the content...but from there I see people still complaining because lfr isn't good enough and demand more and more and more. Blizzard complaints don't come from the hardcore, that is what I see, they come from the other end of the spectrum, so nice try on your argument.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    You must be high.

Many, many of the active users on MMO-C consider themselves hardcore and look how many complaints you see here daily.
    It was hardcore players that QQ'd about leveling taking too long and how they wanted to be max level ASAP so they could raid.

Hardcore players don't complain.... oh Jesus... my sides hurt.
    Complaints on MMO-C to start arguments is much different than those that climb the steps of blizz headquarters themselves. Im talking ACTUAL complaints to the company itself, not a random forum. 2 VERY different things. Also, I was not trying to imply they did not complain at all so maybe I should reword it. 1 out of 50 complaints to blizzard itself may come from the hardcore crowd. That better?