Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by olli576 View Post
    Just curious, what makes everyone think that the prices of these monitors and future 4k monitors in the next 6-18months are going to go down so much?
    Because that's what has happened to all tech ever?

Quote Originally Posted by BattleHawk View Post
    Well I got one of these about eight months ago, not exactly feature rich but it is a PLS panel and has a VESA mount if I need it so the stand doesn't really matter so much, I consider it to be a good monitor and it was the same price as in the link above, a far cry from $600+.

Now as I said, my above post was speculation, maybe 12-18 months is a bit too ambitious, then again maybe not, either way I'll be interested to see what ends up happening.

4K monitors have dropping rapidly in price for the last 2 years for example this came out about a year ago at $3500. I would be shocked if the falling prices just suddenly stopped with this latest round of monitors and not keep dropping all be it in smaller increments over the next year.
    I don't think i can get those in Australia. Ultrasharps and other 1440p monitors haven't really gone down in price that much at all over the last half decade, and that PQ321Q still sells for around 3200

Deleted
    I don't think i can get those in Australia. Ultrasharps and other 1440p monitors haven't really gone down in price that much at all over the last half decade, and that PQ321Q still sells for around 3200
    The price of the PQ321Q today was not my point, the point was that price of the recently released 4K monitors are a fraction of what a new 4K monitor cost a year ago. $700 for the Samsung vs $3500.

Also why can't you get them in Australia? it did not take much to find this http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_o...rfect&_sacat=0

Quote Originally Posted by BattleHawk View Post
    The price of the PQ321Q today was not my point, the point was that price of the recently released 4K monitors are a fraction of what a new 4K monitor cost a year ago. $700 for the Samsung vs $3500.

Also why can't you get them in Australia? it did not take much to find this http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_o...rfect&_sacat=0
    That was when 4k monitors were basically in a niche market, now that companies are trying to push them into a competitive price range for wider consumers In my opinion i think that this is the set price they will be at for a bare bones 4k monitor, I don't really see the price going down all that much over the next year.

About the monitor you're showing me, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it a korean B grade monitor? I'm not going to take the risk of buying a monitor from korea and possibly end up with dead pixels, thus having to spend 100 dollars to send it back to possibly receive another faulty monitor. And the Australian link you gave me has no feedback rating, so i'm just left to assume it has a fault and he's trying to get his money back haha

Deleted
    About the monitor you're showing me, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it a korean B grade monitor? I'm not going to take the risk of buying a monitor from korea and possibly end up with dead pixels, thus having to spend 100 dollars to send it back to possibly receive another faulty monitor. And the Australian link you gave me has no feedback rating, so i'm just left to assume it has a fault and he's trying to get his money back haha
    Well they are what they call A- grade and there is some risk of having a few dead pixels, but with the "pixel perfect" version as opposed to the standard version that risk is very low and at worst is one or two. What I linked you was a page with a list of sellers. I ordered mine direct from Korea, it was a "pixel perfect" version and that is exactly what I got, no dead pixels. This one is the same seller I brought mine from, the price there is in line with what I had to pay after currency conversion.

I can't speak for the people listed in that link selling from within Australia, but the price is so much lower than the ones coming from Korea that maybe they are running some kind of scam, but with no feedback on them, I would not risk buying from them either.

As a side note, just to be clear when I said $350-400 in a year or so for 4K, I was giving a rough conversion to USD from euro not Australian dollars.

10+ Year Old Account
    On the note of the $3500 4k, it's a true 10-bit Sharp (as opposed to LG) panels. That's most likely the reason why it's expensive as hell.

If you start stripping things down it gets cheaper like how IPS <$300 range generally has 6bit+FRC.

Once you start stripping everything down, maybe in two years I'd imagine the price to be $450 -500 for a TN panel.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    On the note of the $3500 4k, it's a true 10-bit Sharp (as opposed to LG) panels. That's most likely the reason why it's expensive as hell.

If you start stripping things down it gets cheaper like how IPS <$300 range generally has 6bit+FRC.

Once you start stripping everything down, maybe in two years I'd imagine the price to be $450 -500 for a TN panel.
    That is a good point as well.

One way or another I'm not sure if I can justify the cost/benefit of a 4K monitor versus 2K until I can get a decent one with some form of ISP/PLS for around €400, whether it takes 1,2 or 5 years.

Yeah i think i've caused a bit of confusion by referring to Australian dollars without saying (sorry!), 450-500 US sounds about right as that'll be around 600-700 in Australia
    Last edited by olli576; 2014-04-19 at 11:05 AM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Weider View Post
    Oh wow, I can only imagine trying to read anything on those monitors. Already on my 1440p it's a pain sometimes.

EDIT:

But no I won't be getting one. Can't afford it right now
    Not to mention most GPUs can't even come near to making it a playable resolution. :P

I'd like to go 4k... maybe after we see how the GTX 880 fairs and how much it costs. Or the AMD equivalent. Then we'll see what I decide to do. For now though the 760 and 1080p AH-IPS work fantastically, though.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Right now you might as well just stick with 1440p resolution until graphics cards can consistently handle 4K at higher settings. I am sure next gen will be capable but you will have to go really high end in order to get optimal performance.

10+ Year Old Account
    I must say, I find it kind of funny how many people mere months ago (not even a year ago!) were all up in arms but ready to drop $3k+ on the very first 4k monitors, some of which did. How silly do they feel now, I wonder... lol

Like the one ASUS 4k that launched at $3,500~, was really just two panels in one monitor, and just not that great in those regards, is now $2,900~... yeah... Early adopters can be funny.
    "A flower.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Asus has another 4K monitor coming out that is less then $700, I think it's a 24 inch screen though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Asus has another 4K monitor coming out that is less then $700, I think it's a 24 inch screen though.
    24" would be some pretty awesome pixel density (computer monitor-wise)... obviously it still doesn't compare to 4-5 inch phones with 1080p or some even higher now I think as well... -.-
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ehhh. Some of the 1080 resolution phones I'm not fond of. Namely the AMOLED one because of the degradation, especially since it's use of the blue portion can cause color temp to be well... bluer. Then there's the life span. Great part of em is response time and contrast/black depth because each pixels essentially act individually.
    I end up preferring an IPS one in the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm debating going 4k on my next computer, probably some time next year. I think my GeForce 660 TI can output at 4k, but not 100% certain.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Right now you might as well just stick with 1440p resolution until graphics cards can consistently handle 4K at higher settings. I am sure next gen will be capable but you will have to go really high end in order to get optimal performance.
    I'm not using 1440p at the moment! I'm on 1080p on an IPS 23" haha.
    At the moment 780s/r9 290s are pretty well capable of running most games between medium-high settings! It will be interesting to see how much of a stepup the next gen cards will be, and if they'll be focused on handling high resolutions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    I'm debating going 4k on my next computer, probably some time next year. I think my GeForce 660 TI can output at 4k, but not 100% certain.
    Yes, it can output 4k... but it cannot handle it... not by a long-shot. If you're expecting anything about 10 fps and/or low graphics, go ahead and upgrade that GPU.

Here's a benchmark comparison for the original NVidia GTX TITAN vs the AMD R9-290X, it has a few 4k resolution benches, and you can see that even they, the kings (or close enough to that level) of GPUs struggle with 4k.

Here's your 660 Ti against a GTX TITAN:

http://anandtech.com/bench/product/764?vs=860

So, yes, it "supports" 4k... that doesn't mean it should be used for 4k.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Yes, it can output 4k... but it cannot handle it... not by a long-shot. If you're expecting anything about 10 fps and/or low graphics, go ahead and upgrade that GPU.

Here's a benchmark comparison for the original NVidia GTX TITAN vs the AMD R9-290X, it has a few 4k resolution benches, and you can see that even they, the kings (or close enough to that level) of GPUs struggle with 4k.

Here's your 660 Ti against a GTX TITAN:

http://anandtech.com/bench/product/764?vs=860

So, yes, it "supports" 4k... that doesn't mean it should be used for 4k.
    Yeah, that's why I said I'm debating it for my next build. I'm kinda worried I'm going to be forced to SLI for decent framerates in 4k output, though. I guess though if I'm going to drop ~500-1000 dollars on a monitor that dropping money on 2 GPUs is considered standard.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like fabricated tech made to lure in consumers who have too much money with big numbers. The price drop is great and all but I wouldn't even consider moving in to the 4k field because it's simply far too early to make it a practical application.

The monitor prices may fall and early adopters might feel like they are getting a deal but then how much would you spend on graphic hardware to really take advantage of it especially when we're back in an age when flagship GPUs can hit up to a cool grand?
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    Yeah, that's why I said I'm debating it for my next build. I'm kinda worried I'm going to be forced to SLI for decent framerates in 4k output, though. I guess though if I'm going to drop ~500-1000 dollars on a monitor that dropping money on 2 GPUs is considered standard.
    Don't SLI, by the time you decide to, the GTX 880 (or whatever) will more than likely be out and be much better. The membus bitrate and VRAM on the 660 Ti just won't be strong enough to back up the horsepower that they'll provide, to push 4k. =/
    "A flower.