Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    But at least it isnt MY spot
    Really don't care if I get infracted for this, are you a troll?

Seriously, how can anyone think like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    This has already been addressed. You're not solving a problem, just spreading it around. What do you do when people leave "your spot" while others come to "your spot?" Your solution is short-sighted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well done Utah!

Have to applaud a social welfare initiative that not only provides people with a bare necessity, but also helps them become self-sufficient!

Out of my sight so I dont have to see them and dont have to listen to them beg for money every time I walk by
    Are you trolling us? i really want to believe you are....
    because i cant really believe what im reading.... if you are being serious i dont really know what to say except that you are a waste of space on this world....

That's good news.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

This is such an important thing to realize. Ignoring people on the lowest rungs of society has so many indirect costs like imprisonment, food stamps, health care costs, etc. I hope this helps people in other states and is adopted more widely.

We have to understand that shitty things happen to people and they need support. Either we throw them to the wolves and let natural selection do its thing or we rise above that and help people along. Not only is it cheaper, but it's the right thing to do ethically. It's win win. We should be working on this kind of cost/benefit-driven solution in other areas as well.

So your solution is to push your problems off on others for them to worry about. Parasite.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    We should all make sandwiches out of the homeless people. I heard they taste like veil because that's clearly a better idea than treating them like unlucky shmucks.

I definitely like the pro-active approach to this issue and I would rather something be done than throwing more money down the drain. At least with this approach we can see our money being used for something. However I can see some issues with this.

Would this not lead to corralling all the desperate and destitute into an singular location for their 'sanctuary'? Would this not become a zone or another stigmatized social class where people would forget? Out of sight is what many people here would like but then it goes to out of mind as well.

Another thing is location. You cannot just give people housing in a location with no job opportunities but places like that are also places that are pricier to live. You could be setting up a catch-22 situation for these people. You have people in a location with no job opportunities but in order for these people to get out there have to be in a location where there is a job.

I suppose we really have to go down this road in order to find out if things will really turn out this way.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowstep View Post
    Are you trolling us? i really want to believe you are....
    because i cant really believe what im reading.... if you are being serious i dont really know what to say except that you are a waste of space on this world....
    I just tend to ignore his posts to the best of my ability. From his posts, at best he's a person that believes the world needs to bend to his self-absorbed world view.

Quote Originally Posted by Revik View Post
    I definitely like the pro-active approach to this issue and I would rather something be done than throwing more money down the drain. At least with this approach we can see our money being used for something. However I can see some issues with this.

Would this not lead to corralling all the desperate and destitute into an singular location for their 'sanctuary'? Would this not become a zone or another stigmatized social class where people would forget? Out of sight is what many people here would like but then it goes to out of mind as well.

Another thing is location. You cannot just give people housing in a location with no job opportunities but places like that are also places that are pricier to live. You could be setting up a catch-22 situation for these people. You have people in a location with no job opportunities but in order for these people to get out there have to be in a location where there is a job.

I suppose we really have to go down this road in order to find out if things will really turn out this way.
    Hopefully, city planners are involved with projects like these so they can accomodate for this new growth with appropriate infrastructure. One of the pillars for success to this demographic is a strong public transit system.

They mentioned that case/social workers would be working with these people as well - to help obtain stability and most likely to link to employment agencies and resources.

Done well, this has great potential imo. Get those who can work stability and job training, and those who can't the appropriate disability benefits (serious persistent mental illness is fairly common among the transient homeless population). The benefits of that is that you will have less recidivism amongst the population as its easier to keep someone engaged in services like social work, employment training, and therapy when they have someplace they can typically be found. They will also have increased spendable income and need of services, which will - hopefully - increase the need for jobs in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Revik View Post
    You cannot just give people housing in a location with no job opportunities but places like that are also places that are pricier to live. You could be setting up a catch-22 situation for these people. You have people in a location with no job opportunities but in order for these people to get out there have to be in a location where there is a job.
    I mentioned it before, but the Mormons have their own "welfare services" division, and just love giving jobs to people in need. Google "Deseret Industries" for one example.

10+ Year Old Account
    To add some clarification, they are giving people apartments, not actual homes. A bit of unneeded clarification, maybe, but the few dissenters should know that it's not like they're getting a 3-4 bedroom home. Just a small, comfortable apartment to survive in.

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    Just a small, comfortable apartment to survive in.
    Why would they deserve comfort! Obviously they need a slap for not managing their lives properly and living on the streets!

I need my daily dose of poors to gloat at while walking to work.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Why would they deserve comfort! Obviously they need a slap for not managing their lives properly and living on the streets!

I need my daily dose of poors to gloat at while walking to work.
    They must KNEEL before us. KNEEL PEASANTS MWAHAHHAHAHAHHA!!!!
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    They must KNEEL before us. KNEEL PEASANTS MWAHAHHAHAHAHHA!!!!
    I don't think that's good enough. The government should pass a bill requiring states to have poor people earn their outrageous priviledges they've been showered with by mandatory standing on the sides of the streets from 6 AM to 6 PM, so that they'd be there scaring the middle class of "what if" scenario. Keep them obedient that way!
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988