Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

How would you allocate profession if you had an army of toons?

I only have JC Ench Alch.

Thinking about backing it up with 10 alts, how would you allocate professions?

I don't have time to farm motes, so idk which professions are not worth getting based on that.

What professions have something similar to Alchemy with transmute living steel?

Idk how high level tailoring/bs/leatherworking/engineering profits work. Any quick summary? Thx a lot.

I've got a full cadre of 90's on my home server. I have one of each gathering profession on my only-dps classes, such that at max level I can gather while waiting in queues since healers and tanks generally have much quicker-instant queues. So...

Hunter-Herbalism/Alchemy (Transmute)
    Rogue-Mining/Alchemy (Potion)
    Warlock-Skinning/ Alchemy (Transmute) - (wanted a class that is generally good at AoE for skinning. Now looking at it, I think I'd prefer my hunter be my skinner and my lock the herby as I'm much more familiar/comfortable with my hunter)
    Priest-Tailor/Enchanter
    Mage-Tailor/Engineer (my mage use to be a miner instead of a tailor, but I changed that so that I could AoE farm with potions of luck and capitalize on cloth drops)
    Druid-Leatherworker/Inscription
    Monk-Inscription/Herbalism (need to change my herbalism here, possibly to another engineer or transmute alchemist)
    Shaman-JC/Alchemy (Elixir)
    Warrior-JC/Alchemy (Transmute) -I had two JCs originally so I could learn the recipes twice as fast at the beginning of the expansion, though now, if I had the motivation, I'd drop the JC here for some other crafting recipe with a cd of some sort.
    DK-Blacksmithing/Alchemy (Transmute)
    Pally-Engineer/Alchemy (Transmute)

So in all my setup is...
    2 Herbalist
    1 Miner
    1 Skinner
    1 Leatherworker
    1 Enchanter
    2 Engineer
    1 Blacksmith
    2 Scribes
    2 Tailors
    2 JCs
    7 Alchemists (1 Elixir, 1 Potion, 5 Transmute)

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have at the moment.

Pally Engi/Ench (Engi is win, I don't use it to make money often on any of my toons, and same with chanting its basically for ring bonus's) (does ore on farm)
    DK Engi/BS (BS cause I wanted easy gear, and engi cause its win) (does herb on farm)
    Monk Miner (was a Engi, was going to change to alch but now need to re-level engi, and miner so I can smelt when I need trillium) (does ore on farm)
    Priest Enchant/Tailor (originally this toon was capped for herald of titans at 600 each profession, also wasn't on my main faction like it is currently) (does motes on farm)
    Mage Alch/Tailor (my bag maker and my living steel maker) (does cloth on farm)
    Hunter LW/Skin (obviously easy to level together) (does leather on farm)
    Pally (yes 2nd) Engi/BS (was my main for awhile they had nice bonuses) (does herb on farm)
    Shammy JC/Alch (goto have my own gems and living steel is nice profit) (does herb on farm)
    Druid Inscript/Herb (free glyphs ) (does ore at farm)
    Warrior Alch/Miner (Monk was on another faction needed a smelter) (does ore)
    DK (second) Engi/Miner (Was on another realm) (does ore)

So I do have an army of professions and still got to finish doing them on warlock and rogue.
    and yes they make a nice profit for hardly any work.

Deleted
    I did some math and found you can basically earn 2-6k per 12 days or 250-500g per day with Tailoring, based on how fast you get Imperial Silk, (with Tiller's), and based on the sell price of the crafted gear.

How does this compare to other crafting professions?

Blacksmithing does not seem to have any daily cd, and seems it's best use as a side to LFR for DE materials?

I guess I'm wondering which crafting profession has the highest and second highest daily cooldown profit, as it seems you would have each of those professions for all of your toons for maximum profit.

Thanks for good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogozjin View Post
    I did some math and found you can basically earn 2-6k per 12 days or 250-500g per day with Tailoring, based on how fast you get Imperial Silk, (with Tiller's), and based on the sell price of the crafted gear.

How does this compare to other crafting professions?

Blacksmithing does not seem to have any daily cd, and seems it's best use as a side to LFR for DE materials?

I guess I'm wondering which crafting profession has the highest and second highest daily cooldown profit, as it seems you would have each of those professions for all of your toons for maximum profit.

Thanks for good advice.
    Regarding other prof CDs:

Blacksmithing has 2 daily CDs, the ones for Balanced Trillium Ingot & Lightning Steel Ingot.
    LW has the Magnificent Hide & Hardened Magnificent Hide CDs.
    Alchemy has Living Steel
    Engineering has Jard's Peculiar Energy Source

Death Knight - Jewelcrafting / Engineering (Goblin)
    Druid - Alchemy (Transmute Spec) / Herbalism
    Hunter - Engineering (Gnomish) / Skinning
    Mage - Alchemy (Transmute Spec) / Inscription
    Monk - Mining / Engineering (Goblin)
    Paladin - Blacksmithing / Mining
    Priest - Enchanting / Tailoring
    Rogue - Leatherworking / Skinning
    Shaman - Alchemy (Elixir/Flask Spec) / Herbalism
    Warlock - Enchanting / Tailoring
    Warrior - Herbalsim / Alchemy (Transmute Spec)

My Alchemists and Leatherworker are making me gold.

Motes aren't used as much as they used to be, they can be ignored in many cases. Alchemy for example, uses a mote for the Living Steel Xmute, or you can simply use more Trillium (example). My Leatherworker doesn't use Motes at all anymore, because I don't bother with Leg Armors. All his motes (he gets plenty) usually go on Leather for the daily CD, or depending on AH prices, anything that sells high, that I can buy leather with.

Anyway...

Mining/Herbing - Only every on an Alt (imo), pref a Druid.
    Skinning, I wouldn't bother with, I leveled it for the achievement, but it's on a character I never use.
    Alchemy/Inscription - Again, Alt professions imo. All your herbs go to the same character, and both don't suffer much from being on an Alt.
    Tailoring/Enchanting - Go well together, either on a main, or a played alt. Leveling tailoring is a BITCH when you get to frostweave without a tailor to farm the cloth (the AH is usually barren of Frostweave)
    Jewelcrafting - Not sure how it's going to pan out in WOD. I keep in on an Alt, but can work alright on a main.
    Blacksmithing - Best prof for a main (imo), regardless of if they wear plate or not
    Leatherworking - Also good on a main if you're self funded (i.e. not guild funded) as the free enchants save you some gold on upgrades
    Engineering - Put it on a main or don't bother, unless you want it just for the CD to sell Mounts.

So how my setup looks:

Monk (main) - Leatherworking + Engineering
    Paladin (main) - Blacksmithing + Engineering
    Priest - Tailoring + Enchanting
    Shaman - Alchemy + Inscription
    Mage - Tailoring + Enchanting
    Deathknight - Jewelcrafting + Enchanting
    Rogue - Alchemy + Skinning
    Druid - Gatherer
    Warlock - Gatherer (I really didn't need any other Profs)
    Warrior - none
    Hunter - none

Monk was my main in MOP, Paladin was my former main, and going back to him in WOD, so I only really play those 2 at the moment. Both of them use their motes as currency and not in crafting. Monk doesn't really need engineering, so might swap it out in WOD if I keep playing it as an alt, if not, then will just leave it as is.

I have a few enchanters because they were main alts over the years, and being able to DE my own gear kept costs down. The guild covered enchants for my main, but not alts.

So I've been thinking about this lately, since I have a couple of 90's and I want to aim at having all the profession covered. I was thinking of how best to pair them up given the character and how I play them, etc.

So I have my DK, who is pretty much my main. She has Engineering(for all the cool utility and useful items), and I will probably throw on Enchanting, since it is self sufficient and should still be some sort of moneymaker in WoD (I hope). She will be my first 100 so I want at least some way to rake in dough.

There's my Monk, who currently has Jewelcrafting. I think Alchemy, with Transmutation master would be a nice complement to this (I've been using Spirits from alts to get golden lotus to transmute green gems into blue ones to cut. Not sure if the system will change in WoD). I have a paladin with Alchemy, but I find the class uninteresting (to each his own), so I will most likely abandon him for all eternity.

My Warlock already is working on Tailoring, and Inscription was an afterthought since I don't have a place for it.

My Druid is working on Herbing and Mining because of advantages to the class.

My Hunter is working on Skinning and Leatherworking because of advantages to Worgens.

I'm ignoring Blacksmithing since I find it dull. I would have ignored inscription as well but I didn't want an empty slot where there could be a profession. And I had already leveled it to max once and I don't think I have to do it again for the achievement.

Perhaps not the best, but it's how I'm going about it. I have my eyes on that Yak !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Voidstrider View Post
    So I've been thinking about this lately, since I have a couple of 90's and I want to aim at having all the profession covered. I was thinking of how best to pair them up given the character and how I play them, etc.

So I have my DK, who is pretty much my main. She has Engineering(for all the cool utility and useful items), and I will probably throw on Enchanting, since it is self sufficient and should still be some sort of moneymaker in WoD (I hope). She will be my first 100 so I want at least some way to rake in dough.

There's my Monk, who currently has Jewelcrafting. I think Alchemy, with Transmutation master would be a nice complement to this (I've been using Spirits from alts to get golden lotus to transmute green gems into blue ones to cut. Not sure if the system will change in WoD). I have a paladin with Alchemy, but I find the class uninteresting (to each his own), so I will most likely abandon him for all eternity.

My Warlock already is working on Tailoring, and Inscription was an afterthought since I don't have a place for it.

My Druid is working on Herbing and Mining because of advantages to the class.

My Hunter is working on Skinning and Leatherworking because of advantages to Worgens.

I'm ignoring Blacksmithing since I find it dull. I would have ignored inscription as well but I didn't want an empty slot where there could be a profession. And I had already leveled it to max once and I don't think I have to do it again for the achievement.

Perhaps not the best, but it's how I'm going about it. I have my eyes on that Yak !!!
    I'd hold of on the yak for now since we don't know what type of vendor they'll replace the reforger with.

10+ Year Old Account
    I first made and leveled my toons to have at least 1 of all the professions available. You'll save more gold by not needing others to do stuff for you then you will by using your cooldowns efficiently. After I had all proffs I made 1 toon with extra Inscription. Then I didn't level any toons for a while untill I got a second Enchanter and Alchemist, and a second JC and third Alchemist. That means I have every profession and sub profession covered, except Goblin Engineering and at a level where they can produce for me when I need it.

Summary: 1)Tailor/Enchanter, 2)Alchemist/Engineer, 3)Miner/JC, 4)Inscription/Herbing, 5)Inscription/Blacksmithing, 6)Skinning/LW, 7)Enchanter/ALchemist, 8)JC/Alchemist

Leaves me with 3 toons at low level. These are all Alchemist/Herb at the moment, since ALchemist is always useful, and herbing makes leveling Alchemy easy and cheap + gives extra experience while leveling. In time, when I've leveled them to somewhere near max, they'll most likely be changing herbing for something more useful. Depending on how the market for Darkmoon Faire trinkets is by that time there's a high chance they'll be converted to Inscription.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Start of xpac the DMF trinket will be way worth it, I had 2 scribes near start of mop, was so worth it

10+ Year Old Account
    Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    If I were to start over, I'd have every character an alchemist.
    Spread the others around as you will, Main w/ Eng.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - My Youtube Channel - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff

10+ Year Old Account
    If I could command my characters, hold them at their abilities and level within the Garrison we get.. My list would be quite insane..

4 Miners
    4 Herbalists
    2 Skinners

2 Engineers
    2 Blacksmiths
    2 Jewelcrafters
    3 Alchemists
    1 Scribe
    1 Enchanter
    1 Tailor
    2 Cooks

Did I miss anything?
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Gathering has to be on the toon I use the most or the one I am least board with playing.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Im sitting on 22 characters, basically 1 of each class. 11 on tich for pvp, 11 on illidan-us for pve

I have a brewmaster monk with maxxed skinning + leatherworking, but ill probably drop skinning for enchanting before WoD drops. No other characters have professions. (actually I have a tauren druid with mining/herb- but he only exists to farm)

I'll start leveling them when open beta comes out and we have some new info.

Deleted
    Why do several people have multiple Jewelcrafters, and one has even two Herbalists?

My current list of professions on my characters:
    Tauren shaman - Inscription/Herbalism
    Undead Rogue - Skinning/Leatherworking
    Undead Warlock - Tailoring/Enchanting
    Pandaren Monk - Alchemy/Herbalism
    Blood Elf Paladin - Mining/Blacksmithing
    Troll Warrior - Mining/Engineering
    Troll Hunter - Herbalism/Skinning (Thinking on dropping Skinning for Alchemy)
    Troll Mage - Mining/Jewelcrafting
    Tauren Druid - Skinning/Leatherworking (no plan on leveling this one, stuck at lvl 73)
    Tauren Death Knight - Skinning (Currently some kind a bank alt, but tempted to level him. not sure what professions though)

Have always preferred to have a gathering profession to go with the crafting profession or dual gathering.

FC - 2234-7580-4322
    Ingame - Mille
    DS name - Groggen

Deleted
    ehh... what ppl have is kinda irrelevant, will try to summ up +/- for all profs.
    Gathering profs are allways a steady income if you dont mind farming, if you plan to have mining + herbalism I suggest taking them both on a druid.
    Skinning should go with LW on an alt.
    Moving to crafting profs.
    LW- steady income throughout with a possibility of bursts of gold with the launch of a new exp/patch if you have the relevant recipies.
    BS- pretty much the same as LW
    Tailoring- same thing.
    Enchanting, very good income throughout, note that its very preferable to be on your main when a new expansion hits, you can worry about minmaxing later on with the vast amounts of gold you can make if you are active in the first weeks of an expansion (epics are rare and insanely expensive every time)
    Inscription- hmm this one is tricky... takes alot of AH camping to be able to make a profit of it midexpansion, lets face it shoulder enchants aren't exactly a money maker at least not on my server. On the other hand you can make insane amounts of cash when a new exp launches since trinkets inscription makes are relevant then, DO NOTE if you plan on just buying herbs and making decks your profits will be extremely dulled, you will not be the only one camping for herbs and prices will be very high there. If you however can invest a considerable time in gathering , gz on being rich
    Alchemy- in my opinion the best "lazy moneymaker" ingame for 3 expansions now, I suggest getting 1 pot master, 1 elixir master, at least one transmute (having more transmutes increases profits greatly)
    Engineering - The prof with the coolest toys, if you are going to have it have it on your main, as a moneymaker its pretty steady with some possibility for more if you are willing to invest the time for it, still I just can't see it as an alt prof, its a waste imo.

Quote Originally Posted by BeginnerPlayeFirstDayGame View Post
    Why do several people have multiple Jewelcrafters, and one has even two Herbalists?
    My reasoning for having multiple jc's was that since learning the rare recipes was based on a daily cooldown at the beginning of this expansion (and could very well be for the next expansion) it made sense to be able to get access to all of the cuts even sooner, thus I could sell a wider market of gems earlier than those with just 1 jc. It also allowed me to get access to gems for myself and my 11 characters and thus avoid the price gouging that occurs at the beginning of an expansion with a bottleneck for recipes.

The multiple herbalists, with my characters at least, is simply due to me not getting rid of all but one for a crafting profession.

Quote Originally Posted by BeginnerPlayeFirstDayGame View Post
    JC used to be quite good as a raiding Prof back in Wrath (Cata?) and some people may have main swapped since then but never bothered to change the prof on their alt. As for Herbing, like mining it's easier to level, so can be alright for an alt.

Personally, I only ever change professions on my main. If some get buffed/nerfed I don't bother changing them on alts. Too much time/money.