Resto Looking For Criticism

Good morning everyone,

First time posting here, but Ive been reading for a while now. Appreciate all the great insight from everyone on the site.

The reason Im posting is I feel I've hit a plateau in my healing and want to see what the more top end healers can critique and offer advice on. I consider myself a very strong healer as is, but there's always room for improvement. When I look over my logs I see very high overhealing. Is that just normal for a druid? I dont have mana issues and we two heal everything in SoO 10M normal and are working towards heroics this week. My primary healing partner is a disc priest.

Below are logs of the first 8 bosses in SoO from last week as well as a link to my armory.

**us.battle.net/wow/en/character/Stormrage/phaelon/advanced**

**worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-754ydh0gxhsejq4j/analyze/hd/source/?enc=bosses**

Please dont hold back on anything Im doing wrong, cant fix it if I dont know!

Thanks in advance!

Phaelon

Smile

Your gearing seems fine.

Overall your logs seem ok, its normal with a disc partner so not much healing to push out anyhow.
    A few things stand out from your logs:

1)Looking at All boss kills: low harmony uptime, only 80.8%. That should be 95% or more. (some fights had great up time, others not so much)

1a) Related issue, very few Swiftmend casts. You should be swiftmending on CD, if for no other reason than a cheap easy way to keep up harmony. You had 12 Swiftmend casts on IJ when you could've had around 20 (same for the other fights, 9 out of 36 possible on Galakras, etc)

2) Lifebloom up time of 91.5%. Decent, but you could prolly up that a bit more to 95+% (more OoC procs will yield more RG casts and better harmony uptime as well)
    2a) 99 Clearcasting procs, only 83 RG casts (though granted you might have spent HT on some) but using those will also help your harmony uptime.

3) Looks like you didn't innervate yourself at all on Shaman and General, and only once for Sha and Galaraks, but these aren't all that heal intensive on normal anyhow. Just keep an eye on your innervate usage, the later fights can be more heal intensive.

4) Assuming you hit 6 targets with each WG cast, it looks like cast around 20 WG's on IJ, you could've potentially pushed out closer to 30, so just keep an eye on your WG usage. If there's even a moderate amount of aoe going out, you can use it on CD.

5) virtually no effective healing by shroom bloom. Room for improvement here. Sha of pride is a great fight for bloom (use after each swelling pride), usable in galakras phase 2, after falling ash on shamans, etc. Gotta practice when to use it, though its possible the disc was blocking you with well timed spirit shells (didn't check but a possibility). Either way its a strong tool, practice with it.

Overall not bad, few things to tweak but seems ok from a quick glance.
    Last edited by Keiyra; 2014-01-21 at 03:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keiyra View Post
    Your gearing seems fine.

Overall your logs seem ok, its normal with a disc partner so not much healing to push out anyhow.

1)Looking at All boss kills: low harmony uptime, only 80.8%. That should be 95% or more. (some fights had great up time, others not so much)

1a) Related issue, very few Swiftmend casts. You should be swiftmending on CD, if for no other reason than a cheap easy way to keep up harmony. You had 12 Swiftmend casts on IJ when you could've had around 20 (same for the other fights, 9 out of 36 possible on Galakras, etc)

2) Lifebloom up time of 91.5%. Decent, but you could prolly up that a bit more to 95+% (more OoC procs will yield more RG casts and better harmony uptime as well)
    2a) 99 Clearcasting procs, only 83 RG casts (though granted you might have spent HT on some) but using those will also help your harmony uptime.

3) Looks like you didn't innervate yourself at all on Shaman and General, and only once for Sha and Galaraks, but these aren't all that heal intensive on normal anyhow. Just keep an eye on your innervate usage, the later fights can be more heal intensive.

4) Assuming you hit 6 targets with each WG cast, it looks like cast around 20 WG's on IJ, you could've potentially pushed out closer to 30, so just keep an eye on your WG usage. If there's even a moderate amount of aoe going out, you can use it on CD.

5) virtually no effective healing by shroom bloom. Room for improvement here. Sha of pride is a great fight for bloom (use after each swelling pride), usable in galakras phase 2, after falling ash on shamans, etc. Gotta practice when to use it, though its possible the disc was blocking you with well timed spirit shells (didn't check but a possibility). Either way its a strong tool, practice with it.

^ This is so pro, it's painful! Nice analysis!

Quote Originally Posted by Keiyra View Post
    Your gearing seems fine.

Excellent. Thats just the FB I was looking for. I have a habit, bad or good, not sure, of saving SM for those "Oh crap" moments of big tank damage and try to use CC procs to refresh harmony. I will work on upping this, without a doubt.

The whole shroom bloom thing still feels clumsy to me. Hate having to set a new mushroom but I see the benefit of the burst heal, as I do it on Garrosh anyway, so I might as well use it elsewhere too.

Again, thanks for the help!

Mushroom: Bloom also great on General after a warsong, as long as your raid knows to stack for it

Also, not one Nature's Swiftness for the whole fight, which is just a waste. Macro that to HT, and use that for the "oh crap" moments instead of SM

You have 4pT16, which means you get sagemender from your 2p...and had 56 sagemender stacks. Even if you wait for 5 stacks before using it, that still means 11 ,free, instant HT, when you only cast 8 for the whole night.
    Keep in mind that a 3 stack of sagemender makes your HT faster than you regrowth, at less than half the mana cost, and only just less than healing than a regrowth, but considerably more if you are lucky enough to crit.

Touching up on this a bit more, looking at your armory and your talents, you low usage of swiftmend is making the fact that you took SoTF almost useless. It takes some practice, but eventually you'll get in the habit of using swiftmend before casting wild growth if you think about it consciously for a little while. You'll also get used to the mushrooms; they're incredibly strong and you'll start to wonder how you ever healed without them

This feedback is probably going to be mostly the same as what has already been said before, but I figure the most important parts are worth repeating:

Buffs & uptimes:
    - Uptimes of Lifebloom and Harmony are a bit low, especially the latter. Both should be >95% on every fight. Use addons to track both.
    - You don't use your Clearcasting procs enough, which contributes to the poor Harmony uptime. Spend your CC procs on Regrowth to refresh both, even if the healing isn't needed.

Cooldown use:
    - You use Nature's Vigil frequently, but you don't use Tranquility nearly enough. Plan your Tranquility use. Make sure to use it several times on each fight.
    - You didn't use Nature's Swiftness at all. No one died so you may not have needed it, but make sure you're not just saving it for bad situations that never happen.
    - Barkskin use is excellent, but you can use Ironbark three times more often than you did. Don't just use it on tanks: it's excellent for mitigating randomly targeted DoTs like Toxic Mist on shamans and Bonecracker on Nazgrim.
    - Innervate use is very low. You should be using it at least twice per fight. Use it at 80% or so mana, and you'll have it off cooldown again for a second use by the time you start to drop low.

Spell use:
    - Barely any healing done with WM: Bloom. It's off the GCD, so get into the habit of blooming it right after any sort of big AoE hits. Don't worry about whether it's fully grown. Just use it as often as it makes sense to.
    - Swiftmend use is low, and you're losing half of your SotF uses because of it. It's cheap and refreshes Harmony, so use it. SotF+Rejuv is pretty handy for dealing with random target DoTs like on protectors, shamans and Nazgrim. SotF+WG is better, but the cooldown is only 15 seconds so don't hesitate to SotF+Rejuv if no AoE healing is needed.

Talents and glyphs:
    - Overall good, but get a minor Glyph of Grace if you want to min/max. A few fights involve minor falling damage, and it's not as if the cosmetic glyphs are doing you any good in combat.
    - Displacer Beast is better than Feline Swiftness on almost every fight, assuming you learn to use it. Useful for teleporting through various AoE without taking damage (like the Norushen beam) as well as for quickly moving around the room (like soaking Malkorok implosions). I could make a list of all the ways in which it's great on every single fight, but the list would be as long as the rest of this post. Try it.
    - Reforging and gemming looks good. Enchants look good. The speed enchant on your boots is arguably pointless, but the stat difference is negligible anyway.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I use ironbark on the tank's. Since I use healbot, I can see when my tanks use their Cd's and I know when the big spike dmg is coming. So I watch for when the tanks Cd's drop off and use ironbark to help smooth out the incoming dmg.

If you have good synergy with your tank as I do. He will end up almost having an endless chain of damage reduction cd's on him.

When you get into heroics your tanks will thank you.

Ps. I don't use it on dps because for the most part they should be avoiding most damage and most unavoidable damage wont one shot them anyways. Tank death's however is a wipe.
    Last edited by Littlepinch; 2014-01-22 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlepinch View Post
    Ps. I don't use it on dps because for the most part they should be avoiding most damage and most unavoidable damage wont one shot them anyways. Tank death's however is a wipe.
    I suppose it depends on how good your tanks are at timing their active mitigation. I can't remember the last time we wiped because a tank died from a damage spike. There are plenty of unavoidable high damage abilities that target DPS, though. Snipers on heroic Nazgrim come to mind.

The best use of Ironbark will probably depend on your particular raid group. The important thing to note is that the cooldown is only one minute and it's free and off the GCD, so you should be using it a lot.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.