Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    See, I'm more impressed than anything. I can't fathom the attention to detail required to look at the second picture (without having the first picture in front of you) and go "Hey, what the fuck is that?!? That rock wasn't here 12 days ago!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    See, I'm more impressed than anything. I can't fathom the attention to detail required to look at the second picture (without having the first picture in front of you) and go "Hey, what the fuck is that?!? That rock wasn't here 12 days ago!"
    Aliens man......aliens moved that rock!
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Soooo some wind blew the rock or an asteroid fell into Mars' gravity range or something. Big deal.

Should we say an alien put it there in between camera pictures lol?
    A asteroid without any kind of impact crater?
    Wind moved that rock, but none of the smaller pebbles?

Didn't you say you tried to apply to NASA?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So mars rover found a mystery rock in front of it out of nowhere. I tend to find anything found on Mars to be very interesting. Curious where the rock came from.
    CNN reporting on a donut shaped rock....

What a waste of space.

Here is a vid about a bullet galaxy cluster collision, showing how the dark matter surrounding each one behaves. Another words has mass but does not interact the same as our regular matter, it shows that gravity itself also interacts with this dark matter. Very interesting....much more than original post.

Edit - Blue represents dark matter, while red is regular old matter.
    “Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.”

Why do you guys think I'm saying an asteroid hit Mars. Do you think they won't notice that? Rofl, it's hilarious how you guys think.

I'm saying a piece of an asteroid (maybe twice the size of the rock) entered Mars' atmosphere and got to that position.

Do you really really think I'm suggesting an asteroid hit Mars and we wouldn't know? One big enough to leave a crater?

10+ Year Old Account
    I saw Bill Nye talking about this with Shep yesterday on the news deck. He's still got it.

Nye, that is.

Why do you guys think I'm saying an asteroid hit Mars. Do you think they won't notice that? Rofl, it's hilarious how you guys think.

I'm saying a piece of an asteroid (maybe twice the size of the rock) entered Mars' atmosphere and got to that position.

Do you really really think I'm suggesting an asteroid hit Mars and we wouldn't know? One big enough to leave a crater?
    It's being described as a rock, not a pebble or a fine. Unless it had a powered descent, I'm pretty sure it would leave a noticeable impact.
    Last edited by Payday; 2014-01-21 at 05:27 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

If I go outside I can drop a rock from 5 feet and get a impact crater.....
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themerlin View Post

What a waste of space.

Here is a vid about a bullet galaxy cluster collision, showing how the dark matter surrounding each one behaves. Another words has mass but does not interact the same as our regular matter, it shows that gravity itself also interacts with this dark matter. Very interesting....much more than original post.

This is my face. ?_?
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    lets put it this way regarding the whole "wind theory". A hurricane class storm on earth could barely move a feather on Mars, because of the atmosphere (or lack of)

10+ Year Old Account
    My first thought was that it looked like a crumpled up piece of mylar heat shielding. (shrug)
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    This is my face. ?_?
    Only if your paladin avatar was undergoing a stroke, and the pupillary light reflex, due to this Galactic collision, was irregular.
    “Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.”

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Aliens man......aliens moved that rock!
    That's Native Martians, you insensitive clod

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Themerlin View Post

What a waste of space.

Gravitative effects are the reason dark matter was postulated in the first place, so saying gravity interacts with dark matter is rather superfluous. And that video doesn't show much...

15+ Year Old Account
    So what? It is a rock shaped oddly, I got one right here on earth, Scientist get here stat!
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Is there wind on mars? biggest retard question

Hur dur...we just used the parachutes because they look cool

Deleted
    The most likely scenario is that Opportunity flicked the rock with one of its wheels.
    Baffling.

Deleted
    considering the debris around the rock is in the same place on both photographs 12 days apart
    im fairly sure this is one of 2 things:

Like the casters said, fallout from an asteroid impact etc.

or

Like the caster said, photoshop!

The shadows of both pictures, coupled with the fact that every rock is in the exact same place lead me to believe the latter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    If a rock appearing out of no where is headline news for them, they've got problems.
    Considering their budget cut, that's probably all they HAVE to get excited about. It's like when your day sucks, and a bird lands on your windowsill . Super excited to you, completely retarded to anyone you tell the story to.

They seem more excited about the rock having jelly in it that is like nothing they have ever seen before..

Its instruments have shown scientists that the "jelly" part is "like nothing we've ever seen before," Squyres said. It's very high in sulfur and magnesium, and it has twice as much manganese as has ever been seen in anything on Mars.
    And leave it to scientist to compare a martian rock to a jelly doughnut.......

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Mars has this thing called wind. It can blow light material around quite easily.
    Look at the pictures:- all the other little rocks haven't moved. If the wind was strong enough to move a rock of that size (bigger than your fist) then it would have blasted away all the others. Also the rover would have definitely noticed that.

Also, the composition of this rock is extremely strange - apparently unlike anything else ever detected on Mars.