1. #1

    Looking for tips, tricks, and general advice on how to effectively analyse WoL

    It seems like every few days there is a post asking for members to analyze a rogue's logs and several great posts afterwards breaking it down for OP. Even with some guides I've found, I still struggle with WoL and how to effectively gauge my own performance on fights. Would anyone mind sharing how they breakdown logs in general? Also, would you mind sharing specific things you are looking for when you analyze rogues' logs?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkfister View Post
    It seems like every few days there is a post asking for members to analyze a rogue's logs and several great posts afterwards breaking it down for OP. Even with some guides I've found, I still struggle with WoL and how to effectively gauge my own performance on fights. Would anyone mind sharing how they breakdown logs in general? Also, would you mind sharing specific things you are looking for when you analyze rogues' logs?
    A very simple method for log analysis is to simply look at the buffs cast section of a particular player. This will tell tell you if they are using thier cooldowns as much as they can as well as the percentage of uptime the player has for maintaining buffs or debuffs. I do this for my guild and provide monthly feedback on what certain members of the team can do to improve.

    If you can master the expression editor, it will tell you in depth what a player is doing at a certain point in time. I recently used the editor to discover that the reason our hunter was getting insanely high stacks of the immerseus debuff was because his murder of crows was proccing the debuff.

    As far as judging your own performance, I like to look for times when I either refresh buffs/debuffs to early or (when playing combat) times that my blade flurry is active but isn't hitting anything.

  3. #3
    The big easy: go to a particular fight, select the rogue, go to the "buffs cast" tab, and press the # symbol next to, as appropriate (from buffs cast and debuffs cast): Slice 'n' Dice, Revealing Strike, Rupture, Blade Flurry, Shadow Blades, Adrenaline Rush, Vendetta, Envenom, Shadowdance, Find Weakness, potions, and anything else you want to track.

    Then ask yourself:

    1) are these uptimes what I expect? Do I see a 60% sitting next to Slice 'n' Dice on a fight where you're not out of melee 40% of the time?
    2) are abilities being used together when they should? Is the rogue using, for example, AR/SB together (pray yes) while the opening potion is still active? Do they use Killing Spree enough? Is Vendetta on an appropriate target?
    3) deeper inspection - RvS cast #s might be too high, or you might see more combo generators than you'd expect for the # of finishers. # of melee strikes lower than another rogue in the raid by an overwhelming amount (facing the wrong way?). There are any number of specific events you can look for from this point out - if you want the deepest reading, learn to use the expression editor.

  4. #4
    Mongoose, Kael, I really appreciate both of your responses.

    Kael, do you have any advice on where to learn more about the expression editor? I just don't get it. I know on WoL they have links to some discussion forums, but I've found it to be really confusing.

  5. #5
    Remember that you can press the # symbol next to each buff/debuff in that list to see a graph showing when you had it up/down. This is especially useful to see if you could have lined up CDs better, or to understand reason for any buff downtime.

    The expression editor isn't really useful to judge performance, but rather to see specific informations about abilities. The wol documentation is really your best bet to learn how to use it. A read on boolean logic and something about programming types would help to understand it better, but heh, it's not really needed. What you need to know is that it will display information based on the criterias you set: for example if you only want to see ability casts (and not damage events and such) from me only I'd put

    type=TYPE_CAST and sourceName="Fluorescent"

    If I wanted to also see abilities cast on, say, Malkorok, I'd add:

    and targetName="Malkorok".

    Keep in mind that the expression editor is case sensitive and very precise with names (e.g. Skeer won't work, you need to type Skeer the Bloodseeker)

    Quote Originally Posted by mongoose6 View Post
    If you can master the expression editor, it will tell you in depth what a player is doing at a certain point in time. I recently used the editor to discover that the reason our hunter was getting insanely high stacks of the immerseus debuff was because his murder of crows was proccing the debuff.
    Another expression editor example, using this as your basis, but this time replicating the reasoning as it goes a bit more in-depth to the use. Underlining important parts we need to tell the editor separately.

    I want to see:
    - all the stack applications of Swelling corruption (let's say our strategy says we need to stop DPS at 3 stacks) over 3 applied to the hunter
    and
    - all the damage events the hunter did on the boss to see what caused them

    (spell="Swelling Corruption" and fullType = SPELL_AURA_APPLIED_DOSE and amount > 3 and targetName="<our hunter name>")
    or (sourceName="<our hunter name>" and targetName="Immerseus" and type = TYPE_DAMAGE)
    Last edited by Fluorescent0; 2014-01-23 at 10:57 PM.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

    i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkfister View Post
    Kael, do you have any advice on where to learn more about the expression editor? I just don't get it. I know on WoL they have links to some discussion forums, but I've found it to be really confusing.
    If you're not interested in logic and programming, it is very confusing, but it's also doubtful you'd need it (see above examples for specificity of information). I don't have any good sources, although Fluor just posted some excellent explanation/examples above.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •