Thok 10H questions

Hi guys! We are about to attempt H Thok. As usual I want to ask a couple of questions before we attempt. First I'm gonna post our raid compo:

T: Monk, DK
    H: Druid, Disc Priest, Shaman
    D: SV Hunter x 2, Destru Lock, Ele Shaman, Boomkin

So my questions are:

1) What is the tank strat you guys usually use? I saw both 1 and 2 tank, just want to know which one ppl use most and feel more comfortable with. If one tank, which one do you think is better for this task? We both have good dps off spec. And, I (monk) have a prot pally which is 555 ilvl with cloak, both monk and dk are 573 ish. From my experience of normal mode, pally is way better at solo tanking this boss than my other tanks (I have all but warrior) even he is almost 20 ilvl lower. Will it still be a good option for heroic?

2) Do most ppl use the strat to split into 2 group for p1?

3) How long does your first p1 usually last? By that I mean, what's boss' health (percentage) and stack by the end of that phase? If possible, what should his health be at so that you know your group is good to keep going?

Thank you!

Our raid group 1 tank and 2 heals it. DK Tank, priest and druid healer. Bring him up to a minimum of 15 stacks for the first phase 1, let Thok run around 6 times, then transition. the next phase 1 would be 8-12 stacks. Repeat 6 fixates for the next phase 2. When/if we get to fire phase, transition at 1 or 2 stacks and burn the boss.

We get him to about 20-30% by the end of the second phase 1. I'm not sure if that counts the heal he gets, I never really pay much attention to that. You roughly want to him 60% when he goes into the first fixate phase though.

For all the phase 1s, we split into three groups. 4 in melee range, 4 slightly over 10 yards behind melee. 1 to the left of the ranged group. They form a triangle roughly the diameter of an efflorescence.

On the topic of classes, we have this comp:

DK Tank
    Disc Healer
    Druid Healer

For DPS: Lock, hunter, balance, warrior, paladin, mage, priest

You absolutely want a paladin for this fight. Two BoPs and Devo aura are the most important raid CDs. If you have the option, bring the resto shaman too. Resto druid is superior to disc, but it depends on your individual healers more than anything.

( http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/...irsty/10H/hps/ Resto shamans occupy 44 of the top 50 spots)
    Last edited by Larynx; 2014-01-21 at 09:43 PM.

1. Currently, we 1 tank/2 heal. I would use the monk tank to solo; monks do way more damage and that's most of the reason to solo tank. With this strat, we go to ~16 stacks at the start, then whatever in red, then ~16+ in blue, and skip green entirely.

Our progression strat was 2 tanks/3 heals and as close to 30 as possible each roar phase. It's still a valid tactic, but no longer necessary with gear.

2. We split at the start until stack 7 or so when we stack for Bomb into Barrier, stack for red (and backpedal the boss to the middle for a more favorable kite position and to get out of fire) with just a healing CD so we don't die before we push, then split for blue again until stack 5 or so for Bomb into Barrier (same CD rotation as the start).

3. ~16 Roars; more is dangerous for the tank because the Jailor hits really hard with stacks. We usually get him below 60% (hero on the pull). I wouldn't give up just because you're behind on damage though. You can do some of green if necessary, but ignore the bats when they come out and chain all your CDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Our raid group 1 tank and 2 heals it. DK Tank, priest and druid healer. Bring him up to a minimum of 15 stacks for the first phase 1, let Thok run around 6 times, then transition. the next phase 1 would be 8-12 stacks. Repeat 6 fixates for the next phase 2. When/if we get to fire phase, transition at 1 or 2 stacks and burn the boss.

We get him to about 20-30% by the end of the second phase 1. I'm not sure if that counts the heal he gets, I never really pay much attention to that. You roughly want to him 60% when he goes into the first fixate phase though.

For all the phase 1s, we split into three groups. 4 in melee range, 4 slightly over 10 yards behind melee. 1 to the left of the ranged group. They form a triangle roughly the diameter of an efflorescence.

On the topic of classes, we have this comp:

DK Tank
    Disc Healer
    Druid Healer

For DPS: Lock, hunter, balance, warrior, paladin, mage

You absolutely want a paladin for this fight. Two BoPs and Devo aura are the most important raid CDs. If you have the option, bring the resto shaman too. Resto druid is superior to disc, but it depends on your individual healers more than anything.

( http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/...irsty/10H/hps/ Resto shamans occupy 44 of the top 50 spots)
    Thanks! Do you recommend me getting on my pally tank tho even he is 555 ilvl? That would be the only pally we can bring, and TBH I feel more comfortable solo tanking with pally even he is undergeared.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
    1. Currently, we 1 tank/2 heal. I would use the monk tank to solo; monks do way more damage and that's most of the reason to solo tank. With this strat, we go to ~16 stacks at the start, then whatever in red, then ~16+ in blue, and skip green entirely.

Our progression strat was 2 tanks/3 heals and as close to 30 as possible each roar phase. It's still a valid tactic, but no longer necessary with gear.

2. We split at the start until stack 7 or so when we stack for Bomb into Barrier, stack for red (and backpedal the boss to the middle for a more favorable kite position and to get out of fire) with just a healing CD so we don't die before we push, then split for blue again until stack 5 or so for Bomb into Barrier (same CD rotation as the start).

3. ~16 Roars; more is dangerous for the tank because the Jailor hits really hard with stacks. We usually get him below 60% (hero on the pull). I wouldn't give up just because you're behind on damage though. You can do some of green if necessary, but ignore the bats when they come out and chain all your CDs.
    It's worth noting that it's not necessary to completely skip the poison phase if you have mass dispels. Our raid comp has three, for example.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jasonleekungfu View Post
    Thanks! Do you recommend me getting on my pally tank tho even he is 555 ilvl? That would be the only pally we can bring, and TBH I feel more comfortable solo tanking with pally even he is undergeared.
    The tank damage can be a little extreme solo tanking it. We have to roll vigilance, iron bark, pain sup, etc on the tank to survive and he's over 570+ ilevel. It's impossible to say from my perspective since I haven't raided with a prot paladin for months, and with the nerfs too. I say give it a shot and see. If not, then bring the monk.

The fight is just extremely more difficult without the three freecasts. Your druid, for example ,will never be able to use tranq except going into a phase 1.

You could also just gear your prot paladin with the 9 heroic bosses already down for the next few weeks, then do Thok. Some guilds on my server have been stuck on Thok for the last month even, so you probably have a bit of time.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2014-01-21 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirl View Post

Thanks! Any specific talent or glyph choice, or cd rotation that I need to know as monk?

PS: I usually pay attention at the overall pace of fights so that we'll quickly know how we are doing comparing to a typical kill. Not just giving up or so.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonleekungfu View Post
    Thanks! Any specific talent or glyph choice, or cd rotation that I need to know as monk?
    I'm not sure how our Monk does his CDs; I assume just uses something for Roars, then chaining personals/externals when at high p1 stacks.

On second thought though, the pally tank suggestion from Larynx is a good idea for CDs. I'm used to having a ret and hpal for Devos, which is a great CD on this fight. BoPs are great too, especially for channeled things like Tranq or huge CDs like Ascendance. Light's Hammer from a Prot Pally at high Vengeance is like a ticking, AoE LoH too; absolutely insane on this fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    The tank damage can be a little extreme solo tanking it. We have to roll vigilance, iron bark, pain sup, etc on the tank to survive and he's over 570+ ilevel. It's impossible to say from my perspective since I haven't raided with a prot paladin for months, and with the nerfs too. I say give it a shot and see. If not, then bring the monk.

The fight is just extremely more difficult without the three freecasts. Your druid, for example ,will never be able to use tranq except going into a phase 1.

You could also just gear your prot paladin with the 9 heroic bosses already down for the next few weeks, then do Thok. Some guilds on my server have been stuck on Thok for the last month even, so you probably have a bit of time.
    I just did first 8 bosses tonight and got my pally to 560, H weapon and shield and tier chest, pretty good upgrade. Well since you guys are running with dk tank, there is one thing that I did compare my pally (was 555 back then) and dk (565) on purpose to have a feeling about damage taken, and I could tell pally is way easier than dk for sure. I'll give it a shot this week, hopefully that will make it work.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Shouldn't have many problems anymore. If you don't have a weird comp and actually 3 heal it, you can pretty much it to 25+ stacks without many throughput (or any if your healers are really strong) cooldowns.

Deleted
    1 tank 2/3 healers or 2 tank 3healers are both good setups. With 2 tank you must make the normal phases longer, with 1 tank you can do 15/7/15. If u think you dont have a lot of raid cd (or your healers are bad) 1 tank it but be carefull to not stack too late, after 17-18 acceleration buff the tank can be oneshotted. GL
    PS: we did 1 tank 3 healers, because we didnt have a lot of raid cd (and no paladin at all) . Here is the video
    Last edited by mmoc27469b38c0; 2014-01-22 at 02:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    @ Cianial, thanks for vid, we're just now learning this fight and have a less than ideal setup, 2 melees, no pallies, no rsham, etc.

Our first kill was 1 tank/3 heal (holy pala, resto druid, resto shaman) with our monk tank(ilvl 572) solo 26-28 stacks. With correct cd usage, monk/paladin tank can solo the 1st phase one for more than 20+ stacks onwards and does not need any external cd for 1st phase one. We go 26-28 stacks at the start, then whatever in fire phase, then 15+ in water phase, and skip acid phase.

Our monk tank also disarm the jailor for 16sec when he enrage so he won't get one shot with 7-8 stack Fearsome Roar debuff.