Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

If Blizzard starts selling gear for real money

If blizzard starts selling gear for real money
    will they start making drop rates so low that people who want to progress would be forced to buy gear with real money??

Like in diablo 3 when they made the drop rates so low for gear, that everybody that wanted to progress in the game was forced to buy gear with real money.

and dont comment here if you going to say tinfoil hat bullshit
    anybody who played diablo 3 knows how bad it was

IF they start selling gear for IRL golds the game will die. Instantly.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Except if you're playing legion xd
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyoken View Post
    The day I die I want the shaman class developers to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.......

Quote Originally Posted by superstarz View Post
    anybody who played diablo 3 knows how bad it was
    This is precisely why it won't happen. They know very well how bad it was for the game, they even admit that by removing RMAH from D3. Blizzard won't do that mistake twice.
    Your rights as a consumer begin and end at the point where you choose not to consume, and not where you yourself influence the consumed goods.

Translation: if you don't like a game don't play it.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    If they start selling gear, it would likely be 'raid entry level', for those not willing to gear up via in-game means. I sincerely doubt they'd make items of higher level available.

Quote Originally Posted by g01851 View Post
    If they start selling gear, it would likely be 'raid entry level', for those not willing to gear up via in-game means. I sincerely doubt they'd make items of higher level available.
    The amount of backlash and uproar that would occur even if they started selling low level greens would negate any profits they would make from actually selling those items. Selling items with stats on them is pay-to-win, and p2w indicates poor game performance, and shareholders would jump ship. Blizz would never let that happen.

Also we didn't really need another pay to win thread, there are plenty of them out there already.
    You just lost The Game

Another one of these ? Eh.. anyway.

They won't sell gear. At least not initially. First they will sell whole sets of transmog gear, after that I could see them selling weapon transmogs and finally they might start selling catch up gear. By that point people will almost expect it though ...

Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    The amount of backlash and uproar that would occur even if they started selling low level greens would negate any profits they would make from actually selling those items. Selling items with stats on them is pay-to-win, and p2w indicates poor game performance, and shareholders would jump ship. Blizz would never let that happen.

Also we didn't really need another pay to win thread, there are plenty of them out there already.
    this isnt a pay to win thread, stop trying to act like a moderator because you are not one.

this tread is about drop rates changing if you are allowed to buy gear

Definitly wont, and if they do end up selling gear, im sure it will be the equivalent to Timeless Gear in patch 5.3

15+ Year Old Account
    Tin foil hat aside, I think that Blizzard would know the reaction the playerbase would have if they made paying the optimum route. I for one never pay for advantages in games, and WoW would rapidly lose it's luster if they did change to that model.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd have to say no for current content, but I would buy the corrupt ashbringer is they had it on the store >.>

"tinfoil hat bullshit"

this isnt a pay to win thread, stop trying to act like a moderator because you are not one.

this tread is about drop rates changing if you are allowed to buy gear
    You're right. You totally didn't try to disguise the real reason behind this thread by providing this response at all!

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're able to buy old gear/weapon/etc.. that was once obtainable in game? Sure why not. As for current content? I hope not. That'll just destroy WoW as a whole.

What if Blizzard came to your house and stole your baby and would only give your baby back if you paid them lots of money?

Those bastards!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    I could see them doing it eventually. But it would never be anything 'endgame'. Maybe something like rift, you can buy a set of blues every ten levels. It is t great gear, but it is certainly better than nothing. Gets your foot in the door for that bracket. Blizz could do something like that, even for level cap. Just keep the level cap gear, say, two tiers behind current. That way a fresh 90 or 100 or whatever can start at a better place than having to run a bunch of content nobody does anymore.

This gear could also serve another obvious purpose: transmog. Give the purchased gear unique looks, or maybe just unique recolors of a gear set currently in game.

Remember the gear you get when you get the SoR boost to 80? Something like that. It works, but most certainly isn't optimal. Yes, I'm aware they put that gear on a vendor in Hyjal. But nobody had an issue with those sets.

Point being, if the rabble rousers would stop with the saber rattling and think it out, Blizzard could implement something like that in such a way that it wouldn't be detrimental to the game. Nobody is forcing you to get it yourself, the gear doesn't have to be optimal in any way, just filler. What's wrong with that?
    Last edited by endersblade; 2014-01-21 at 11:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Payment for Progress gear would be under "P2W" and would not approve of such. Payment for cosmetic gear, I have no problem with, really.. As long as it is not the same as current gear within the game.

I.e. You have challenge mode gear in the game, that gear is not permitted to be sold on the store - instead they sell a complete different set. Maybe all-round set (For all types)
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

They'd probably make some good money from the twink scene.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2014-01-23 at 12:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aktillum View Post
    They'd probably make some good money from the twink scene. (Do not mind the edit note on your post, mate, I hit edit post instead of reply - still your comment)
    I do not want them to do so, I earn most my income by selling overpriced stuff to twinks.

(.. or in some cases, a good laugh when a twink rage at me for needing something I do need, but is very good for twinking)
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

If blizzard starts selling gear for real money
    will they start making drop rates so low that people who want to progress would be forced to buy gear with real money??
    Yes.

Not out of nefarious intent, mind you, that will just happen naturally. When your bottom line depends on how easy the gear is to get in the game vs how much it costs in the store, it's all too easy to err on the side of "not accidentally overnerfing encounters, because players like challenge", even if you mean well.

It won't happen, but I'll answer to humour you.

If it did, it would depend on how strong the gear is. LFR quality? Nobody cares. Normal (which is what Flex will become in WoD)? Pushing it, but whatever. Heroic or Mythic? Hell no.

So to give a reaction to the above:

LFR quality: cool, an option to spend money instead of time. It's not pay to win, it's giving people a quick catch-up to join their friends in normal/heroic/mythic raids. A good thing.

Normal quality: Eh, kinda pushing it. This is where you're getting into organised raiding, and you probably shouldn't be able to buy organised raiding gear. I'd be annoyed, but ultimately I'd accept it.

Heroic and/or Mythic quality: welp, I was entirely wrong about Blizzard this whole time. We've now hit pay to win: time to abandon ship.

I feel as though I need to stress that I don't believe ANY of the above will ever happen; I'm just humouring the OP. So even though the above would be my reaction in the scenario, it's moot anyway: it just won't happen.