Should I upgrade? Or Not?

Hey there folks!

So my current computer seems to be getting a little old. Really all I use it for is WoW and the normal stuff (surfing, word processing and stuff like that) however since I normally play on low graphics it doesn't seem to be 'that' bad however attempt to do Elgalon and I'll get 1 FPS and try and play anything more the low then you won't be having much fun.

So really my question is should I upgrade? and if so where would be the best place to start looking?

10+ Year Old Account
    That computer is very weak indeed, a completely new build is what you would be looking at.

You can keep using your HDD, Windows 7 & Optical drive.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Quote Originally Posted by Yindoo View Post
    At Elegon you need to set the shadow to max or you might get ridicilious low amount of fps.
    Thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    That computer is very weak indeed, a completely new build is what you would be looking at.

You can keep using your HDD, Windows 7 & Optical drive.
    Any ideas or guides for a first time builder?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Change My Name View Post
    Thanks for the advice!

Any ideas or guides for a first time builder?
    Building a PC is incredibly simple. It all comes down to money and how much you're willing to spend. If you're getting 1 fps on Elegon, it sure is time for a brand new spankin' PC.

10+ Year Old Account
    You could look the guide in my signature. Could also tell us how much you're willing to spend on the PC so we can find a build for you.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    You could look the guide in my signature. Could also tell us how much you're willing to spend on the PC so we can find a build for you.
    It's an interesting video however due to me not being a hardcore gamer I just don't know if the time, effort and money from building my own PC when I could just buy a gaming PC from a retailer?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's an interesting video however due to me not being a hardcore gamer I just don't know if the time, effort and money from building my own PC when I could just buy a gaming PC from a retailer?
    A hardcore gamer or not, it's still good to build your own pc, you'll have a skill of building computers after you've built your first one, it feels like a big accomplishment to be playing on a PC that YOU built. It'll also be cheaper to build it yourself, there's that too.

Actually you should. There was a time when building your own PC was less expensive. That is no longer the case. It's going to cost you more to do this yourself. I don't know what your budget is, but if you have say $1000.00 right now you can get a REALLY good computer for gaming. Alienware. 8GB RAM, even comes with Radeon R9 270 pre-installed, Intel. It's nice. People like me build their own PC because we enjoy the hands on, but now the landscape for gamers has changed. The up and comers don't want to deal with pesky installs and configurations they just want to play.

I don't have time to build Pc's anymore for myself because I am busy helping other people, then it takes away from my WoW time.. so I buy basic machine and swap parts with upgrades. It comes out to be cheaper and if you don't break the machine you can still retain the warranty. Something to keep in mind when the CPU or motherboard goes belly up.

I would say buying a retail machine is good advice, make sure you get a good replaceable warranty for at least 2 years. Don't laugh but if you go to Bestbuy.com they have pretty nice gaming desktops on that site as well. Bestbuy has perhaps THE best warranty anywhere, just take it to ANY store and they can fix it on-site..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crennox View Post
    A hardcore gamer or not, it's still good to build your own pc, you'll have a skill of building computers after you've built your first one, it feels like a big accomplishment to be playing on a PC that YOU built. It'll also be cheaper to build it yourself, there's that too.
    I don't think we are comparing the same thing. If you ALREADY have a case, mouse, keyboard power supply.. blah blah then maybe it is cheaper, but not by much. I just did this same thing 2 days ago. It's definately NOT cheaper anymore.

I bought a desktop PC for $700.00 retail. That same motherboard and processor is on sale at Microcenter for $329.00. memory is $100. I got a TB drive, that's another $75 bucks. Add a power supply and case and we already at the price I paid for a machine pre-configured, and not even considering license for windows or a video card...

$500.00 parts.. but each one of those parts has NO warranty... I have a warranty on my machine to replace motherboard, CPU, memory, keyboard, mouse, and power supply...

It's not cheaper. It's only cheaper if you do a BARE BONES system no case just basically mobo, CPU video and memory.. I will save time go buy basic and upgrade what I want later and include a warranty on top of that.. yeah I will take it.

Quote Originally Posted by rjparker1 View Post
    $500.00 parts.. but each one of those parts has NO warranty... I have a warranty on my machine to replace motherboard, CPU, memory, keyboard, mouse, and power supply...
    How do you manage to find computer parts without warranty? Are they stolen?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by rjparker1 View Post
    Actually you should. There was a time when building your own PC was less expensive. That is no longer the case. It's going to cost you more to do this yourself. I don't know what your budget is, but if you have say $1000.00 right now you can get a REALLY good computer for gaming. Alienware. 8GB RAM, even comes with Radeon R9 270 pre-installed, Intel. It's nice. People like me build their own PC because we enjoy the hands on, but now the landscape for gamers has changed. The up and comers don't want to deal with pesky installs and configurations they just want to play.

I don't have time to build Pc's anymore for myself because I am busy helping other people, then it takes away from my WoW time.. so I buy basic machine and swap parts with upgrades. It comes out to be cheaper and if you don't break the machine you can still retain the warranty. Something to keep in mind when the CPU or motherboard goes belly up.

I would say buying a retail machine is good advice, make sure you get a good replaceable warranty for at least 2 years. Don't laugh but if you go to Bestbuy.com they have pretty nice gaming desktops on that site as well. Bestbuy has perhaps THE best warranty anywhere, just take it to ANY store and they can fix it on-site..

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think we are comparing the same thing. If you ALREADY have a case, mouse, keyboard power supply.. blah blah then maybe it is cheaper, but not by much. I just did this same thing 2 days ago. It's definately NOT cheaper anymore.

I bought a desktop PC for $700.00 retail. That same motherboard and processor is on sale at Microcenter for $329.00. memory is $100. I got a TB drive, that's another $75 bucks. Add a power supply and case and we already at the price I paid for a machine pre-configured, and not even considering license for windows or a video card...

It's not cheaper. It's only cheaper if you do a BARE BONES system no case just basically mobo, CPU video and memory.. I will save time go buy basic and upgrade what I want later and include a warranty on top of that.. yeah I will take it.
    DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS GUY.

ALIENWARE IS NOTHING BUT A RIPOFF. Not to mention hes pretty much wrong on the parts having no warranty as long as you buy them new. Pretty much any new hardware for computers has at least a 1 year warranty.

Again not to mention the computer hes recommending you would have a tough time replacing parts if they ever died because it has a mini thin tower instead of at least a mid-tower. http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51-r2/pd.aspx I would never tell anyone to get that computer because it is nothing but an over priced Dell. It doesn't tell you the brand of the parts so you might get stuck with some off-brand gpu or motherboard like they like to do. You could buy a BETTER computer with the $1100 total with better brand names and better warranties than Alienware. Another thing they do is fill your system with nothing but bloatware too. Don't buy any PC from Bestbuy like he says either. They will give you all of this software that has no use and usually only have like 30 day trials instead of full versions.