Damage calculation vs +75% armor targets fixed... What?

Couldn't think of a better thread title - has anyone got any reasonable idea what exactly this part of the hotfixes actually means:

• Resolved an issue for the following abilities that resulted in damage being calculated incorrectly when used against targets with a greater than 75% reduction to damage from armor.
      • Vengeance (All tanking specializations)
      • Beast Cleave (Hunter - Beast Mastery)
      • Storm, Earth, and Fire (Monk - Windwalker)
      • Blade Furry (Rogue - Combat)
      • Sweeping Strikes (Warrior - Arms)
      • Warrior Tier-16 2 piece set bonus

Did the above classes end up buffed because they weren't doing enough damage? Were they nerfed because they did TOO MUCH damage? Is this a PvP or a PvE fix? What was the issue o_o?

Probably a nerf since they didn't specify numbers. Likely mostly a PVE fix.
    Jsz
    <Losers Club> US-Alliance

d u m b c a s u a l s l u t

Past 75% armor, armor would cause you to gain less vengeance. It did that because when it went to calculate "unmitigated damage", it still thought you couldn't go over 75% armor, even though the cap has been raised to 85%.

To illustrate, imagine having 80% armor, and an enemy swinging for 500 unmitigated damage, making you take 100. Then it goes to calculate vengeance, but instead of using 80% armor, it sets you to 75%, meaning that vengeance *thinks* that attack did 400 unmitigated damage. So you get 20% less vengeance than you should. (Yes, vengeance is stupid, it doesn't take the easy road of just using unmitigated damage, it calculates it back from actual damage taken.)

I have no idea how the other abilities are affected, but vengeance is a buff. A mostly meaningless one, since no one goes over 75% armor other than bears with a mastery proc/bears stacking mastery like crazy, but a buff nonetheless. I doubt the other abilities are affected much anyway because practically nothing has that much armor, they were probably just noticed and fixed before anything weird happened.

Deleted
    Nah that aint it I think.. it should be something armor debuff (12%) + shattering throw (20%) wasnt working or doing something wrong.. Hope someone has more details or info about it..

Deleted
    I would also like some clarification on this.

Hopefully we get a blue tweet or something to clarify wtf this is soon.

So I got some clarification on this from lore. Apparently they changed it because certain spells were still calculating armor at 75% instead of 85% when players were at armor cap (so bear druids), so this is basically a nerf in a very specific situations against max armor targets.

edit this is meant for the cleave changes.
    Last edited by Frozenhawk; 2014-01-23 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazel View Post
    So this means less vengeance or more vengeance? O.o
    For practically everyone? No change.
    For those few situations where it actually changes something? More.