Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Prot - Opening Rotation

One of our tanks was having issues on heroic Protectors, he is tanking Rook and losing him to the bear in the cleave stack almost immediately. What is the prot opening rotation so I can review with him?

15+ Year Old Account
    I usually just heroic throw, charge, shield bash, thunderclap and they stick to me like glue without a concerted effort from the other tank. If he's losing agro at the very start of the pull, have him run in first, having that extra half second could help.
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.

Quote Originally Posted by GodlyBob View Post
    I usually just heroic throw, charge, shield bash, thunderclap and they stick to me like glue without a concerted effort from the other tank. If he's losing agro at the very start of the pull, have him run in first, having that extra half second could help.
    Now I am just a dk, but that sounds very warrior like, no? I guess that is prot too but since this is pally forum was hoping for pally rotation

Quote Originally Posted by Slak View Post
    One of our tanks was having issues on heroic Protectors, he is tanking Rook and losing him to the bear in the cleave stack almost immediately. What is the prot opening rotation so I can review with him?
    Well, first you make sure Righteous Fury is on.... be amazed at how often that one oversight causes hilarious aggro issues.

Beyond that, I personally just pop wings, throw the shield, judge as I'm running in, crusader strike when I get there and then it's on to the normal rotation

Deleted
    Not to be like that, but is he using Rigtheous Fury? He should not be able to lose aggro towards another player, even a tank, especially if the bear is not even on Rook. I am assuming the bear is tanking He. If he loses aggro to the bears cleave, then something is majorly wrong.

His opening rotation should not be any different then the rest of the fight except that you usually want to pull with your ranged abilities. If he really needs it he could use taunt to get the threat modifier. If he would pull with taunt and avenger shield (make sure taunt hits before the shield) followed by judgment and holy wrath (glyphed Focused Wrath) he should get all three of those skills in within the taunt duration giving him a lot of threat. As soon as he get his second taunt use that again with as many abilities as he have up.

Glyphs that he should use if he is having single threat issues is Focused Shield and Focused Wrath.

All that really should not be needed but if he is having issue, he can abuse taunt for more threat. But really, firstly make sure he is using righteous fury and have a basic understanding of his rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by drakonblayde View Post
    Well, first you make sure Righteous Fury is on.... be amazed at how often that one oversight causes hilarious aggro issues.

Beyond that, I personally just pop wings, throw the shield, judge as I'm running in, crusader strike when I get there and then it's on to the normal rotation
    RF is definitely on, this wasn't a one pull thing, it was every pull. Rotation sounds like it hasn't changed. So Pallys aren't broken and don't have aggro issues? Hopefully it was just an off night.

RF is definitely on, this wasn't a one pull thing, it was every pull. Rotation sounds like it hasn't changed. So Pallys aren't broken and don't have aggro issues? Hopefully it was just an off night.
    Yeah, I mean, you just frontload as much aggro on the pull as you can, since you don't have any Vengeance stacked yet. That's why I pop wings on the pull. Once he takes a few shots and has some vengeance stacked, the only way he should ever be losing aggro is to taunt or death.

Deleted
    Paladins for sure have the worst damage and threat of all tanks, but it should not be a problem on a fight like this when both tanks hit different targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    Paladins for sure have the worst damage and threat of all tanks, but it should not be a problem on a fight like this when both tanks hit different targets.
    Totally agree!

Have him take everything for the 1st few seconds. It's usually the bear trailing threat in our 25.

15+ Year Old Account
    RF on, pulltimer 10 seconds, str pot at 3-2,5, wings and avengers shield at 1.5-1, judgement at 0 (timers roughly depending on the hastelevel), next globals are CS and consecration, and then you should start your normal prot rotation.

never have any threat issues with that. I usually don't even str pot anymore because I'm lazy.

Deleted
    If he really needs it he could use taunt to get the threat modifier. If he would pull with taunt and avenger shield (make sure taunt hits before the shield) followed by judgment and holy wrath (glyphed Focused Wrath) he should get all three of those skills in within the taunt duration giving him a lot of threat. As soon as he get his second taunt use that again with as many abilities as he have up.
    So taunt increases the threat of abilities done within its duration? I never knew that, thanks. [I always used to think pulling with taunt was bad practice, but it sounds quite smart from what you say.]

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    So taunt increases the threat of abilities done within its duration? I never knew that, thanks. [I always used to think pulling with taunt was bad practice, but it sounds quite smart from what you say.]
    It was changed in 5.1 or 5.2 or something like that to ease tanks swaps, to make sure that the previous tank does not rip aggro back. Personally I always thought it was kinda stupid, but whatever floats blizzards boat.

It really should not be needed on a pull, but if he struggles it might help.

What you can also do, is stand right in front of your mob and wait for the pull countdown to finish. The Fallen Protectors do not aggro on proximity.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    What you can also do, is stand right in front of your mob and wait for the pull countdown to finish. The Fallen Protectors do not aggro on proximity.
    I am always scared to check if bosses aggro on proximity or not

Sometimes I realise in the next expansion when going back on my hunter to solo instances that "Hey, this boss does not aggro on proximity!"

I am always scared to check if bosses aggro on proximity or not

Sometimes I realise in the next expansion when going back on my hunter to solo instances that "Hey, this boss does not aggro on proximity!"
    I realized it when I saw one of our warlocks jumping around them like a madman on his tundra mammoth.

10+ Year Old Account
    AS with wings followed by normal rotation should suffice.

15+ Year Old Account
    Are people focusing DPS on Rook at the start? If so, tell the Bear to stop being a jackass and pulling threat on a mob he isn't tanking when he is responsible for building threat on 2 non-primary mobs at the pull.

Paladins definitely have the worst damage and threat of the tank classes, as said above.

For example, I'm 574 Item Level tanking with a Warrior main tank who is 580. On aoe pulls it's basically Warrior grabs everything and I just stand there and taunt stuff off him...and then watch him grab them back with one ability, lol.

What's probably happening is the bear is berserking, hitting all 3 targets with his mangle. On top of that Rook will stun the paladin tank quite early on and at this point the paladin might lose aggro to the bear. Just taunt back at this point and it shouldn't be an issue any more; berserk only lasts 10 seconds.

Be nice to see logs just so we know what he is doing and can comment from there?

Other than that, he isn't popping Divine Shield off the bat is he? lol

He can SoT open til 5 stacks of Censure then swap back to SoI.